Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Six Foot Tall but ...

My RX is just that bit too tall for me to comfortably clean the roof :sport:

What do others use? It must be stable for use on gravel and support ~12st :blushing: I'd rather a platform type thing rather than steps

• Like 1

You need a "pikeys doorstep"..a small metal step/stool about 10/12 inches high and about 14 x12 top.used as a step for a caravan.

I used one for years to wash the roof of my old Mazda CX7..

You can have mine if you'd like.

• Like 1

Change to an NX, it’s lower, that’s what I did 👍

Seriously though, I used to just step on to the door sill tops and hang on to the grab handles, it works for washing & drying. Use a platform for polishing etc.

Peter, I had been waiting for you to properly settle in to your ownership of the RX before getting around to enquiring if and how much more demanding its routine detailing might be compared to the RC, but it seems you are alteady well on the way to answering the question …. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavidCM said:

You can have mine if you'd like

That's a very kind offer, thank you. Your suggestion has sparked a memory, I have one! In the shed, somewhere.

Now if I dare venture into that spider web infested black hole. Maybe tomorrow, in the sunlight....

(Me, afraid of spiders!, No! No, OK, well just a bit :blushing: 🙄, I know, I'll send the wife in! 😁 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Change to an NX, it’s lower, that’s what I did 👍

Seriously though, I used to just step on to the door sill tops and hang on to the grab handles, it works for washing & drying. Use a platform for polishing etc.

I did that with our Alhambra but I'm not sure I'm that limber/steady anymore :wheelchair:  

A step would be safer :g:

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

My RX is just that bit too tall for me to comfortably clean the roof :sport:

What do others use? It must be stable for use on gravel and support ~12st :blushing: I'd rather a platform type thing rather than steps

Jet wash or machine car wash. My neighbours would never let me washing at home. I don’t use illegal Albanian hand car washes either and encourage all of you guys to avoid them as well. 

Effectiveness of automatic car washes can be  variable.  I only used one once and it left more marks than before it went in. So never used one since.  You take care how you hand clean your car.  I have a rigid  platform like Herbs and I am 107Kg.  However it is kept in a dark shed as plastic has a tendency to crack over time if permanently exposed to sun(light).  Must say I like the aluminium one peniole posted, might also enable me to more easily clean my bungalow windows too.

Affected by hosepipe ban at present. Are buckets of water and sponge acceptable? Does anyone know if water taken in buckets direct from outlet rather than via hose permitted?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

>>>>

Affected by hosepipe ban at present. Are buckets of water and sponge acceptable? Does anyone know if water taken in buckets direct from outlet rather than via hose permitted?

Yep - - buckets are permitted when fed from a fixed tap/river/canal/lake/boating pond.

• Like 1

Ditto on the height. I use something like this, because I already had it for work around the house: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-aluminium-work-platform-470-x-600mm/5892p

They also do a 900mm version which would probably be a bit better - I can just about do the whole length of half a roof without having to move it, with a slight stretch and putting it in just the right place, but the longer version would be easier.

• Like 2

I used to use one of the plastic step stools, which took my weight (15st), until one day it didn't.  Fortunately I landed on my feet. I now use a wooden one I picked up used off eBay, which I like because it's less likely to cause scratches, and its height exactly matches that of the bottom trim pieces, so I can get it right up against the car.

I did have to  re-glue the joints though as some were beginnning to loosen,  so would probably go metal if I had to buy again.

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Ditto on the height. I use something like this, because I already had it for work around the house: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-aluminium-work-platform-470-x-600mm/5892p

They also do a 900mm version which would probably be a bit better - I can just about do the whole length of half a roof without having to move it, with a slight stretch and putting it in just the right place, but the longer version would be easier.

What an excellent suggestion, Nigel.  For years I’ve been using a two-step fold out job which gets me high enough but doesn’t allow any movement.

I’ve never thought about a platform because I’ve never needed one around the house.  But this will make car washes easier - and I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it once I have it.

I see my local Screwfix has the longer one in stock, so I shall probably get one in time for the next car wash!  👍

20 minutes ago, LenT said:

What an excellent suggestion, Nigel.  For years I’ve been using a two-step fold out job which gets me high enough but doesn’t allow any movement.

I’ve never thought about a platform because I’ve never needed one around the house.  But this will make car washes easier - and I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it once I have it.

I see my local Screwfix has the longer one in stock, so I shall probably get one in time for the next car wash!  👍

Having said all that, I then read some of the reviews on Screwfix.  It seems the longer one has attracted a few complaints about excessive creaking.

So I’ve now reconsidered and instead may buy this Werner platform.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-aluminium-work-platform-500-x-1150mm/574jj#BVQAWidgetID

But thanks for the excellent suggestion,Nigel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

If you normally use a pressure washer, put the intake hose into the bucket and use it as normal. As I said somewhere else on here, we tend to think these things take gallons of water because of the pressure, but they don't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I used to use one of the plastic step stools, which took my weight (15st), until one day it didn't.  Fortunately I landed on my feet. I now use a wooden one I picked up used off ebay, which I like because it's less likely to cause scratches, and its height exactly matches that of the bottom trim pieces, so I can get it right up against the car.

I did have to  re-glue the joints though as some were beginnning to loosen,  so would probably go metal if I had to buy again.

The curver one I posted up there can take 150kg if I remember correctly. I'm not too light either.

I find a step stool (like the one Herbie linked to) too small - forever moving it. The caravan step is attractive as very robust. However, my preference is for the  platform style. I don't have to keep moving it; especially useful when trimming the tops of my hedges; I use it went painting, again so I don't have to keep moving it. I am always mindful however of the sharp aluminium corners that could easily put a nasty scratch in the car if I got careless.

• Like 1

For a ‘standard’ clean on the Jeep, I use an extendable window cleaner pole to clean, hose to rinse and I don’t leather the roof off.  
For a more intensive clean, I use some small collapsible steps and can do a proper job. 
Holding on to the roof rails helps 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:53 PM, peniole said:

I used one similar to the top 3 results on this page when I had my F150

https://www.diy.com/departments/tools-equipment/ladders-steps/work-platforms/DIY637211.cat

Werner Adjustable PRO Work Platform | Halfords UK

This has prompted me to get the adjustable one depicted here (not the ones linked to in the posting which are different).  Apart from enabling me to reach the top of my car, I will be able to reach all my bungalow windows without using a pole, use the adjustment to reach and trim hedges and decorate internally and as a mobile  tool rest when doing jobs.  Being 'tight' by nature, I checked the net and apart from one seller who transposed models and another heavily criticised for scamming, Halfords were as cheap as anybody else for the adjustable 79023 model at £109-99 as it's currently on offer.  I then used the Halfords discount card provided with my Lexus Gold Membership to get 15% off this price, reducing the bottom line cost to £93-49. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links