Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

An interesting perspective.

royoftherovers

4 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

I saw that when it was aired.

His perspective maybe but that doesn't mean that it is not negative,  fundamentaly flawed, warped and inaccurate! 😠

I`m on your side Ant,my friend but, beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 4

If JayEmm is brave enough to go to one of the SC430 owners meets... He might get lynched, or should get lynched...! I haven't bought my 2nd one as yet... But I won't be influenced by ANYTHING in his review... I say again he's a brave man...! 

• Like 1

I have heard it is easy to mistake stupidity for bravery as the results are often the same, or at least similar. Although bravery is knowing what you're up against and doing it, and stupidity is going into something with your eyes closed.

Did he have his eyes shut? I'm not quite sure!

I would rather look at Dr Will on YouTube its much more accurate!

Screenshot_20220919-151704_YouTube.thumb.jpg.da1fbdcc9e17d9ed5871df6102645688.jpg

• Like 2

When we came here to the island in our Honda Accord Coupé, we thought that this place was right for a cabriolet.

Wife looked as the SC and said it looked right, but stupid me thought that a MR2 Spyder would be more fun.

That was the last time I thought that I knew most about cars. Have had a MR2 1st. generation and that was funny as well. So was the Spyder. Now when we have a Lexus I know I was wrong.

The SC is beautiful.

• Like 2

I thought at the time this appeared that JayEmm should have found a better example to review but perhaps he was just looking for a different angle to improve his youtube ratings and take a swipe at some of the other rubbish youtube reviewers. It was a poor effort but at least it wasn't the usual re-make of the TopGear tripe.  

• Like 3

Initially I was intrigued as to when did James Martin, TV chef, become an expert on cars.  So I was disappointed to see it was a different James Martin.  But as I’d never heard of him - obviously my fault - the question still remained.

Nevertheless, I did end up agreeing with his summation.  Namely, that no-one should buy a car based solely on his opinion!

These days just about anyone can get hold of a used car and make a video of themselves driving it around.  That’s a very different animal from the recognised journalist whose expertise attracts extended loans of new cars from PR departments.

I have had some experience of motoring journalists and automotive PRs and all that’s really asked of reviewers is that their car is judged by the standards of the market it’s aimed at.  But that seems the hardest thing to do for some self-appointed critics.

For example, ‘JayEmm’ spends a great deal of time castigating the looks of the Lexus.  That’s his subjective opinion, but I didn’t find that it warranted the invective he threw at it.  I thought the car looked just what its target buyer might be looking for.

He then detailed the many changes that the current owner had made to the track and suspension - but later criticised the road behaviour.  Well an automotive engineer might have appreciated that that may not be down to Lexus engineering.

In fact, there was only the occasional grudging acceptance that in many areas it performed very well.

Like so many of his ilk, I find they condemn cars for not being what they regard as ‘exciting’ to drive.  Well when it’s your own money that you’re spending on buying, servicing and maintaining a car, exploring the ‘outer envelope of its performance’ becomes less important than reliability, cost of ownership and comfort.

Trouble is, that doesn’t make for an exciting video!

• Like 4

So it would appear that we all agree that JayEmm looks at cars the way he wants to, mis quote and describe as he wants to!

Getting peoples back up is one way of securing more hits.....don't give him the satisfaction!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

So it would appear that we all agree that JayEmm looks at cars the way he wants to, mis quote and describe as he wants to!

Getting peoples back up is one way of securing more hits.....don't give him the satisfaction!!!

I titled the Thread, "An interesting perspective" and I believe it was.

I did not reveal that I had long been fond of the SC and have for many years longed for one.

Give three or more examples of what you would call mis-quotes or mis-descriptions please.

47 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Give three or more examples of what you would call mis-quotes or mis-descriptions please.

Sorry John but I felt most aggrieved and irritated when I watched the Jay Emm YouTube clip some time ago feeling it was unfair and I therefore have no intention of revisiting it.

Although I am sure he will have appreciated all the additional hits this feed will have generated. If you or anyone disagrees then feel free to tick the like button and then subscribe to more of the same.

Kind regards to a Grand Master from a mere padawan!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I titled the Thread, "An interesting perspective" and I believe it was.

I did not reveal that I had long been fond of the SC and have for many years longed for one.

I should start, John, by establishing that I know pretty much nothing about an SC430!  However, I did learn rather more from this short, recent article in an American magazine than from ‘JayEms’ video.

https://www.hotcars.com/a-look-back-at-the-lexus-sc430/

I think this author makes a valid point- one I made myself - in identifying the market for the car.  She states that while it might be called a Sports Coupe, its target was really those seeking a luxury cruiser.  Buyers who prefer to waft rather than race!

It seems to me that this is a distinction that JM fails to appreciate.  So as I mentioned before, there’s only a grudging admission of the build quality and comfort.  I was also struck by how well the open top wind noise was controlled, enabling him to record his dialogue quite clearly.

Like Anthony, I’m not inclined to enhance JM’s hit rate by revisiting the video, so I quote from memory.

As far as I recall, there’s no mention of the convertible action - which surely would have been an important lifestyle feature.  Much was made of the limited rear seating, but the SC430 is what I used to know as a 2+2 - and those front seats were obviously moved to their rearmost position to try to make his point.

I also noted that even when the sun was full on his face - and he was squinting slightly - he still didn’t use the sunglasses that were holding his hair on.  Can one really have confidence in his judgement?  🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Never a good watch when someone slates your pride and joy. Boy can that man talk. Most reviews will at least show more of the car rather than all driving. I do think it was unfair bearing in mind the SC was designed over 20 year ago and was also made to be a luxury tourer which nearly every reviewer discards. The pie plate wheels to many eyes are ugly and painted black and silver in this case is even worse. Replace them with some nice aftermarket wheels and it totally transforms the look of the car. As already mentioned the suspension is not OEM so how you can comment negatively when your not driving a Lexus setup I don’t know.

When the SC came out if I am honest I also thought it was ugly as I did the original Boxster. Twenty years on I really like the stying. It’s so rare and different to everything else on the road now. It’s not perfect but it’s got a lot going for it for the money

I think if you own one you suddenly feel you found something special. It will never be jaw dropping or coveted by many but like most of us I am OK with that and just enjoy the car for what it is.

• Like 5

I don't think the wheels and the silver colour did anything to enhance that particular cars looks IMHO, there are far better looking cars on here! Why spend £300 ave per corner on oem shocks then fit lowering  springs when a good set of coilovers can be had for £800? again IMHO the sc is quick as opposed to outright fast which is what it's designed to be a luxury cruiser with a build quality second to none, I never feel envious of any other cars I see on the road when I am driving mine OK so it may not be as fast or corner quite as well but it will still be here long after  

That st 40 or gti or vti has given up the ghost😊

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Most reviews will at least show more of the car rather than all driving.

Spot on, Glyn.  That struck me during my one and only viewing, but it seemed more of a stylistic thing.  But compared to more considered auto reviews, JM was really only demonstrating that it could be driven along a road while he expressed his opinions.

So much of what you were shown was pointless!

Having seen something of an SC430, I think it’s actually something that would have suited me very well when it first came out.

Years before that, I had an Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint which was very similar in concept.  Even today I regret selling it - but I doubt it would have had the lasting qualities of a Lexus!

• Like 2

Now I want to go drive a 430 and compare it with a Saab9-3 (2.0 open top), to compare. 

I liked the  Saab the one time I got to drive one about 12 year ago.

I have never listened to car reviewers, just like I have never listened to music journos, my taste is my taste and I know what i like only when I have had a chance to taste

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

it with a Saab9-3 (2.0 open top), to compare.

a few years ago I asked my trusted mechanic if I should buy a fun car  Saab convertible and he said simply  NO  it would be an unreliable mode and a money-pit .............. the Lexus simply won't be either ..  with proper good and preventative maintenance 

Malc

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Now I want to go drive a 430 and compare it with a Saab9-3 (2.0 open top), to compare. 

I liked the  Saab the one time I got to drive one about 12 year ago.

I have never listened to car reviewers, just like I have never listened to music journos, my taste is my taste and I know what i like only when I have had a chance to taste

Me too Pete,but I always listen to car reviewers and then follow my own advice.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

a few years ago I asked my trusted mechanic if I should buy a fun car  Saab convertible and he said simply  NO  it would be an unreliable mode and a money-pit 

Many years ago (!) I started a new company with two Partners.  I was tasked with buying three Company cars within a budget. A good local dealer had two Megane Coupes which suited two of us, but the third also had to accommodate two small children.

Fortunately, the dealer had a really nice Saab 9-3 Convertible and would do a really attractive deal for all three.

So I suggested it to my colleague.

Me: I think I’ve found you a really nice car, Dave.

Dave: Great.  Buy it.

Me:  Would you like a clue as to what it might be?

Dave:  No.  Surprise me.

Me:  Would you like to drive it first?

Dave:  I’m sure it’ll drive fine.

Me:  It’s a Saab.  Do you know Saabs?

Dave: Not sure.  Is it Swedish?  Or is that a Volvo?

So the first time Dave saw his Saab was when we went to collect it.  He kept it for some years and he loved it!  And I don’t recall any problems with it.  

Maybe we we’re just lucky….

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LenT said:

Many years ago (!) I started a new company with two Partners.  I was tasked with buying three Company cars within a budget. A good local dealer had two Megane Coupes which suited two of us, but the third also had to accommodate two small children.

Fortunately, the dealer had a really nice Saab 9-3 Convertible and would do a really attractive deal for all three.

So I suggested it to my colleague.

Me: I think I’ve found you a really nice car, Dave.

Dave: Great.  Buy it.

Me:  Would you like a clue as to what it might be?

Dave:  No.  Surprise me.

Me:  Would you like to drive it first?

Dave:  I’m sure it’ll drive fine.

Me:  It’s a Saab.  Do you know Saabs?

Dave: Not sure.  Is it Swedish?  Or is that a Volvo?

So the first time Dave saw his Saab was when we went to collect it.  He kept it for some years and he loved it!  And I don’t recall any problems with it.  

Maybe we we’re just lucky….

Yes Len, you were very lucky..... in not buying the Renaults.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Yes Len, you were very lucky..... in not buying the Renaults.🤣🤣🤣

I think we might have a disagreement here, John!

Our Sports Coupes were the early, more restrained (I thought)  body shape with the 2.0 16valve engines.  No complaints as I recall about performance, handling or.comfort.  And as business cars we couldn’t afford lots of garage downtime - so they were pretty reliable.

But…the team that designed the dynamic bits were clearly better than the one that designed the body bits.

In particular, I remember the spare wheel stowage.  This was held underneath in an open cage between the rear wheels.  To release it meant jacking up the rear far enough for the cage to drop down sufficiently to allow the wheel to be wriggled out.  At which time you discovered it was caked in thousands of miles of accumulated road muck.

Whoever thought that was a clever idea should have been Sectioned!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LenT said:

I think we might have a disagreement here, John!

Our Sports Coupes were the early, more restrained (I thought)  body shape with the 2.0 16valve engines.  No complaints as I recall about performance, handling or.comfort.  And as business cars we couldn’t afford lots of garage downtime - so they were pretty reliable.

But…the team that designed the dynamic bits were clearly better than the one that designed the body bits.

In particular, I remember the spare wheel stowage.  This was held underneath in an open cage between the rear wheels.  To release it meant jacking up the rear far enough for the cage to drop down sufficiently to allow the wheel to be wriggled out.  At which time you discovered it was caked in thousands of miles of accumulated road muck.

Whoever thought that was a clever idea should have been Sectioned!

Heaven forbid Len, that would truly be cataclysmic !

Perhaps the equivalent of Celtic and Rangers sharing the same ground ?

Your views are to be more than just accepted, they are almost written in tablets of stone.

As a General Rule however, I advise against the purchase with one`s own money of anything French, German or Italian. Traditionally, French and Italian cars have been styled to be attractive and alluring and in that, they have been largely successful. As far as Build Quality and Reliability however are concerned, they have left much to be desired.

German cars have often looked formidable and to be built out of Granite (excluding G.M models),but have sold without items which have often been standard on cars produced by other manufacturers. Base prices have been high and so called extras offered at exorbitant prices.Build quality has been high, and maintenance costs have  been expensive and their Dealer Networks existed in another Galaxy.

At no point within the last 20/25 years or so have I seen any cars from these three countries appear in any U.K. National Reliability Survey at a point above the seventy fifth percentile.

The man on the Clapham Omnibus, using his own money,wants Safety,Reliability,Comfort and Value for Money and for these has looked towards the Far East.

If you had been blessed with buying Renaults which turned out to be reliable, then good on you.A sound Business Decision that turned out to be and that would,so far as I would have been concerned would have maintained your position, nay consolidated your position in my Management Team !🤣🤣👍👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

As a General Rule however, I advise against the purchase with one`s own money of anything French, German or Italian.

This thread is waking up in my head the remembering of my French car feelings, and recalling our Volvo with Renault engine (I think it was) and my Peugeot company cars (never again).

So maybe I just forget the idea of an open top, cannot afford and LC, not keen on the looks of the 430, and anyway thinking of getting an e-bike for my local short journeys to do bird watching at Slimbridge when I retire (or cut my days right back) soon.  An e-bike is as fresh air as you can get.

Then I was thinking a Toyota Avensis as my 'shopping' car, and then (this really miffs the wife) keep the LS, and get it fully sorted for the blasts of fun.  My main problem is post heart attack/covid hit, I find driving more than 200 miles in a day is a bit wearing - this means I now rely on the wife to drive to Lake District /  Chester/ Liverpool / Cornwall etc, and she hates the LS (to big).

Well these are all first world problems, and paying for the winter heating is a bit more pressing at the mo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Does JayEmm remind you of Jeremy Beadle? I’ve watched about 3 of his video’s now and find his voice and opinions irritating. He really seems to have tickets on himself.

Yes Glyn he really does.

I like his style and was impressed with his 2 LS430`s  videos that I`ve seen. He is knowledgeable,but I don`t find him pompous.

The fact that he does not appear to warm to everything about the SC doesn`t bother me one jot or tittle even tho` I am one of its biggest fans. He does provide a different perspective.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links