Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have 3 or 4 micro damages on windscreen and wanted them fixed. Autoglass here told me they are too small to do anything about and as not in places where it disturbs while driving they can just be as they are. Was told they would not damage windscreen and as long as not in direct view while driving all is OK. Just passed ITV (MOT here) and all perfect.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MerchantOfVenice said:

Any help gratefully received 

to my mind ----------- go for the simple chip repairs where appropriate and make-do with whatever replacement the supplying-fitting company can get when your's does really need replacing ............ the other option is to ask Pilkingtons at the Centre to manufacture you a bespoke one .....  they provide classic car glass  ( used to be a small factory in Queenborough Kent where I live but that's now closed ) ......  possibly cost you £3/4 k methinks  🤣

Go with the flow, be sensible and replace with what's simply available these days

Malc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MerchantOfVenice said:

trim etc that might need replacing if the windscreen is going to be changed?

be certain to use the EXISTING windscreen external trim coz when that was available it was amazingly a couple of £00 ...  such flimsy & insignificant bits too 

Malc

On 11/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, MerchantOfVenice said:

Dear friends, please may I ask what items I should buy like trim etc that might need replacing if the windscreen is going to be changed?

If you look in the repair manual it is often claimed that trim needs to be replaced. I am in the process of changing rear window on my 1998 and with many hours of work and a many scalpell blades I have managed to save the original trim.
The trim seems quite elaborate with a shiny metal part and is not at all generic nor easy to ship .
I have found that this type of stuff is more or less unobtainium these days OR you can get is shipped from Japan for one ( 1 ) months salary or so because it is expensive and very large and fragile. 
Our glass changers here in sweden do not care for super rare cars like these. ABout 40 on the road here.  I got my rear window glass from a guy specializing in glass for vintage cars. The very last one at his source he claimed.
Is it possible to source this stuff in UK stil?.   

11 hours ago, Mikaelse said:

Is it possible to source this stuff in UK stil?.   

not really at all .... buddy on this forum had a roof tile drop and smash his rear screen ... unobtainable UNLESS you go to Pilkington, the UK manufacturer of bespoke classic and rare car glass   ( used to have their factory facility around the corner from me in Queenborough Kent ) and I think he was quoted a few £000s for a bespoke one to be manufactured

Searching in depth rather more widely might turn one-up from somewhere tho' .....  methinks you was very very lucky to find yours

Malc

I had the windscreen on my 1996 LS400 replaced earlier this year (on 8 March) by National Windscreens in Birmingham and I am not aware of them having had any difficulty in locating a replacement windscreen. 

Might be worth contacting your local National Windscreens branch to see if they can source one.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to give an update on this. 
The original screen was made by Nippon and Nippon are now part of Pilkington.

As Malc said the Pilkington screen is very expensive. However if you want to stay as close to OEM as possible this is the only choice.

I think I will start the process of ordering the screen and get the job done in the spring. 

Will let you know how it goes etc!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links