Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres for my RCF

After a very vicious pothole yesterday, I need a new front tyre. Currently shod with Yokohama Advan Sport v105, these came with the car when I purchased it.

A have always had a preference for Bridgestones - but as this is the first time I will have changed a tyre on the RCF - do you know better? The recent EVO magazine group review liked them. I do have a preference for better wet weather grip over outright performance.

Thanks, Henry

If you are just changing one, keep it the same as the rest. If you are doing a full swap then I know it might sound like an old rhetoric, but Michelin really are brilliant. I have had PS4 and PS4S and can't fault either, I believe the 4S outpip the 4 in wet grip, but would rate either as more than capable. I can't remember what the OEM tyres for the RC F were. Eagle F1's always get rated highly too as an alternate!

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

If you are just changing one, keep it the same as the rest. If you are doing a full swap then I know it might sound like an old rhetoric, but Michelin really are brilliant. I have had PS4 and PS4S and can't fault either, I believe the 4S outpip the 4 in wet grip, but would rate either as more than capable. I can't remember what the OEM tyres for the RC F were. Eagle F1's always get rated highly too as an alternate!

I think OEM tyres that Lexus fit are Michelin Supersports.  

I would echo the above and keep the axle the same.

OEM Tyres were indeed Michelin Supersports, which I still run on my car. Good wear rates and grip when the sun is shining, but they're shocking in low temperatures.

I would fit Michelin's All Season High Performance tyre, but that's available in the US only. Their excellent Cross Climate is available in the UK, but not in sizes that fit an RCF.

You best option is the Michelin PS4S, it's their best tyre (excluding their track tyres, which you wouldn't want to run on a daily anyway).  They're great tyres, I run them on my ISF for most of the year and switch to all weathers over winter.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Jgtcracer said:

The reason for this is because Michelin have deals with numerous manufacturers where their dealers specify X tyre throughout Y cars life and in return Michelin give them a discount on the tyres, it's the reason Michelin still make older tyres like the Supersports.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:05 PM, hockeyedwards said:

I am just changing one at the moment. The fronts are Yokohama Advan Sport v105s, the other still has a good bit of wear. I will stick with those at present, not using the car much at present. The rears are Michelin PS4s. I have had Pilots on a few other cars and was happy with them.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Jgtcracer said:

I would echo the above and keep the axle the same.

Agreed and that's what I have I have decided to do - Yokohama Advan Sport v105s. I wonder why they were chosen - maybe they were slightly cheaper?

20 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

I usually go for whichever top brand & model is on offer. I dont think there's much between the Eagle f1, pilot sport etc, I've had them all on various cars & one tyre in particular doesnt seem to stand out to me.

On the quality tyres, there is only about £60 difference - Michelin / Bridgestone / Continental. They did categorise the Yokohama's as a medium rather than a high quality tyre.

I do feel drawn to the Eagle F1s, I might be wrong but I remember them being the first of the newer style performance tyre with the sexy tread patterns in the early 2000s. I specifically wanted to try them on my car & thought they were great, so if there were no deals or offers on, id probably choose those. 

I replaced the Michelin Pilot SuperSports on my GSF with PS4S. The grip in the dry is about the same, but the grip in the wet is a lot better; cold performance is about the same.

I’ve done several track days, plus usual driving about and they seem to be wearing really well.

2 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

This was my experience. SuperSports are great PS4S even better. I’m not sure SuperSports are made anymore. So if you buy them they’ll be ONS. And you don’t really want 5+yr old rubber. 

The PS4S is the replacement for the PSS, for some reason Michelin decided not to just call them PSS2 as that would make too much sense and went with Pilot Sport 4 S instead.

It was a stupid idea as many non car enthusiasts end up thinking the PS4 and PS4S are basically the same, or even worse than a PS5 is better than a PS4S.

15 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Is it possible to do a poll on this forum? , it would be interesting to see which tyre most people prefer.

It is indeed possible... 

Polls for tyre choice is quite difficult to do thought, because every tyre is compromise and literally every size will have different performance and every driver driving style needs to be considered... In short this is way too complicated topic for just simple poll... but you certainly can do it!

As for me - I am quite happy with information here and would gladly follow recommendation for RC-F (compared to Zupra). I think you can't get wrong with top 3, so it comes down to the budget.

• Thanks 2

It depends on your mileage.

I've always found that Michelin tyres get more road miles than any other tyre, so although generally the more expensive, the pence per mile is the lowest.

However if you do a low annual mileage, you can find that you are replacing tyres due to age rather than wear, and then Michelin tyres may be not so cost effective.

Hi, 

only today blackcircles has 15% off Continental tires so hurry up! I’m ordering now new Continental 7 tires for RCF rear. £362 with postage. 

https://www.blackcircles.com/?utm_campaign=jansale&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&dm_i=TIW,86I6T,9L2SZ7,XJ240,1

I installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the rear at 59k miles and now at 72k they have around 3mm left so I would say will change them at 75k. 
Im not drifting, not going in circles, very rarely hard starts from lights. Front ones will last 2x longer distance than rears as I can see now… 

In Michelin pilot sport 4S it is written “tread wear 300” where on Continental Sport Contact 7 “tread wear 240”. So it’s doesn’t matter how you drive. With this indicator it’s clear that Michelin lasts 20% longer than Continental with same driving habits. Same with other tires. 
I am not sure if everyone knows that.

• Like 1

My GSF came with a fresh set of Hankook Evo2's when I bought the car from Lexus. Obviously put on to save a few shekels. Not saying they were tight but.....

Changed them last year to PS4S around, it was like a different car after the change.

Better turn in, steering felt more responsive, better grip etc etc.  

Well worth the extra.  Ran PSS on the ISF and M5 wear rate was low, grip high, PS4S seems to follow the same trend.

Bought from Costco when they had a deal on. Were better value than tyreleader, catskill et al.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links