Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

Hi All,

I just installed Battery cut off relay.

when you lock your car you then press the provided remote to off.

your car Battery will be unplugged like total dead and in this case the relay theft or canbus theft will not work and it’s dead end.

It’s available on eBay - amazon - AliExpress 

Wireless Remote Control Disconnect Relay Integrated 12V Cut Off Isolator Master Switches 200A 120A Universal Battery Switch
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms9yNTW

7 minutes ago, Mad_4u said:

Hi All,

I just installed battery cut off relay.

your car battery will be unplugged like total dead and in this case the relay theft or canbus theft will not work and it’s dead end.

It’s available on eBay - Amazon - AliExpress 

Wireless Remote Control Disconnect Relay Integrated 12V Cut Off Isolator Master Switches 200A 120A Universal Battery Switch

Probably not the best of ideas!

Everything else in the car including settings will probably also be reset. Besides, the scumbags will still cause all the damage before realising they cannot steal the car.

I'll stick with my steering lock until Lexus come up with something.

1 hour ago, Mad_4u said:

Hi All,

I just installed battery cut off relay.

your car battery will be unplugged like total dead and in this case the relay theft or canbus theft will not work and it’s dead end.

It’s available on eBay - Amazon - AliExpress 

That means your alarm and immobiliser are off too, which may give the insurance reason to reduce or refuse a theft claim if it still gets taken.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/07/new-york-sues-hyundai-and-kia-because-cars-easy-to-steal/

New York sues Hyundai and Kia because their cars are too easy to steal

City blames carmakers after ‘virtual explosion’ of thefts

That's interesting. Lexus,  do you hear?

Hello fellow Lexus owners.

After a phone call with my Lexus dealer and after I was advised that the only way to protect myself from the car theft was to upgrade to a new model, I decided to email BBC Crimewatch Live.

here is my email to them.

Dear crimewatch team,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing to you in the hope to bring up to your attention a recent spike in car thefts using a new method using canbus hacking.
A YouTube video of one such example is below.

Toyota and Lexus cars seem to be the most vulnerable due to the fact that their canbus network is not encrypted their headlights are connected via canbus straight to the cars main computer and access to the wiring on the front headlights being easily accessible by prying open the bumper by the wheel arch.

This vulnerability is being used so much that Lexus models are now near the top of the list on the most stolen cars in the UK as it can be seen on the Telegraph article below.

Toyota/Lexus have been informed and have known for a while that this is an issue but so far they have failed to carry out any action to help their customers. From my personal experience when calling my Lexus dealer, their suggesting is to upgrade to the latest model and have suggested that Lexus can not fix the issue once the car has been sold. I disagree with their reply and I am sure that Toyota/Lexus would not like to treat their customers this way but I feel that the only way to get any official response from them would be via media coverage.

Myself and other Lexus owners at the Lexus Owners Club forum would really appreciate your help in getting the necessary attention by Toyota/Lexus and hopefully stopping car thefts in the process.

I look forward to your help and response.

Kind Regards,

• Like 3

Maybe if there is someone who is articulate and perhaps knowledgeable in the way of consumer rights could draft a template letter?

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Maybe if there is someone who is articulate and perhaps knowledgeable in the way of consumer rights could draft a template letter?

I think a class legal action would be a better option, there seems to be multiple actions re Diesel cars and emissions.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the interesting contributions in this thread. I recently purchased an RX 450h and regretfully was unaware of the security issue.  Do you know whether having a Ghost 2 immobiliser fitted invalidates the Lexus 10 year warranty?

Out of curiosity I also wondered what is happening to the majority of stolen vehicles? I'm assuming they're most likely being exported to other countries. Sadly another area of deficiency that nobody seems prepared to effectively address.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Do you know whether having a Ghost 2 immobiliser fitted invalidates the Lexus 10 year warranty?

No, it doesn't.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 11:54 AM, ColinBarber said:

None of that is CAN. There is some BEAN bus there but most is discrete wiring which isn't an issue. It was around 2016 onwards (depending on specific model) where Toyota changed the lights to use CAN which introduces the method of attack that thieves are targeting - so only the RX series IV.

Can I take it then that the mk3 2008 to 2015 is safe from this kind of attack ?

20 hours ago, VFR said:

Can I take it then that the mk3 2008 to 2015 is safe from this kind of attack ?

I understand that we are not vulnerable to theft from this system. However, I wouldn't expect the car-thieving scrotes to be aware which year of Lexus' are/are not vulnerable, and they may still attempt to steal, so have your car wear a steering wheel lock as a deterrent.

Hi,

I am a new lexus owner and I have just been researching items that will need attention or retrofitting items.

Firstly I know of a colleague who had his whole dashbbnoard on a very high end BMW X5 stolen. His solution was a Pandora 3rd party system. They got access via the keyless relay methon on his driveway. they were cought on cctv and spent more than 30 minutes doing it resulting in an expesive repair.

Secondly I would like to mention the Catalytic converter theft iswsue that is meant to affect older car owners. Please see the following youtube vid and lexus state ments:

Lexus statement for Smart Water application:

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft/

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:20 AM, Phaeton said:

Thanks for all the interesting contributions in this thread. I recently purchased an RX 450h and regretfully was unaware of the security issue.  Do you know whether having a Ghost 2 immobiliser fitted invalidates the Lexus 10 year warranty?

Speaking of Ghost 2 - this is worth a watch before you consider fitting one.

FWIW - I recently had the security upgraded on my Toyota, Raf at Motorguard did an excellent job.

Update on the protection plate:

The protection plate is now in play. I had it fitted to my RX at the local dealer's today. From what I understand they are trialling this on a few customer's cars and then will presumably roll it out. Whether it will be a recall or a service bulletin subject I do not know, or it may be you have to ask, but it does exist.

Whether it will be effective remains to be seen and I don't suppose it will help with this year's insurance renewal, which by the look of it will be 100% up on last year.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 08ISF said:

Whether it will be a recall or a service bulletin subject I do not know, or it may be you have to ask, but it does exist.

Thanks for the update, I assume this was free of charge?

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Thanks for the update, I assume this was free of charge?

Yes, it was FOC and they washed and vacuumed the car as well. It was done at very short notice so I didn't ask for a courtesy car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 08ISF said:

The protection plate is now in play. I had it fitted to my RX at the local dealer's today. From what I understand they are trialling this on a few customer's cars and then will presumably roll it out. Whether it will be a recall or a service bulletin subject I do not know, or it may be you have to ask, but it does exist.

Whether it will be effective remains to be seen and I don't suppose it will help with this year's insurance renewal, which by the look of it will be 100% up on last year.

Thanks for the update. Do you know how was the plate installed?  

5 hours ago, 08ISF said:

That's great news.

Which Lexus branch offered it and can we ask our local branch for this as well?

Also any newfound rattling after the plate attachment?

Many thanks

• Like 1

I don't know how the plate was installed or even what it looks like. I think it better that those details are  not bandied about on a public forum as the longer it takes the scrotes to figure out how to defeat it, the better.

No rattling so far.

Lexus Customer Services arranged for my local branch to fit it.The local branch  service people didn't seem to know much about the issue and were gobsmacked when the guy who came to fit it demonstrated how the thieves accessed the CANBUS cabling. As I've said before I don't know how Lexus are going to take this forward. Enquire at your local branch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

All,

I had one fitted to my RX today.  As @08ISF suggests, probably best not to explain too much on a public forum but I have confidence that it will make a significant difference to thefts and make thieves move on to other targets.  I understand it has been deployed in other markets and has had a substantial impact in theft reduction in those places.

I think the main thing now is that the community of RX, NX, ES etc owners approach their dealers to schedule fitting (clearly this will take some time) but only by getting this installed in more vehicles will theft statistics come down, hopefully causing insurance premiums to do the same.

Paul

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Huwge said:

Hopefully the plate isn't just for the RX, not seen any mention of plates in circulation for the other models

It will certainly fit other models, including first gen NX. Not sure about other models but I suspect it is somewhat universal across the range.

Paul

13 hours ago, PDM said:

It will certainly fit other models, including first gen NX. Not sure about other models but I suspect it is somewhat universal across the range.

Paul

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully this will be rolled out to all, though I would imagine it will cost Toyota a fair bit of all owners want it fitted 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links