Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

On 6/9/2023 at 4:23 PM, Spock66 said:

I think a class legal action would be a better option, there seems to be multiple actions re Diesel cars and emissions.

I agree, if Lexus isn’t listening - collective action is necessary.

Lexus claims to be a company that takes care of its customers and receives high scores on customer surveys… it’s ridiculous to let customers suffer due to their incompetence. There are numerous complaints and instances of theft, yet no resolution has been reached.

Lexus thinks it is okay for their vehicles to be stolen this easily - this is no customer service! It is time for Lexus to take this matter very seriously and stop sweeping it under the rug.

One of my friends is almost through purchasing an RX, should I warn him and probably cancel the sale? I do not wish to see him in trouble. 

Interesting thought.

I don't know whether it's a preference or whether the cars preferrred by thieves are more common in black.

Lots of Range Rovers, and other SUVs are black, and Lexus seems unusual in that silver is a very popular colour for its SUVs, whereas I rarely see a silver Range Rover.

22 hours ago, Kaizen said:

I agree, if Lexus isn’t listening - collective action is necessary.

Lexus claims to be a company that takes care of its customers and receives high scores on customer surveys… it’s ridiculous to let customers suffer due to their incompetence. There are numerous complaints and instances of theft, yet no resolution has been reached.

Lexus thinks it is okay for their vehicles to be stolen this easily - this is no customer service! It is time for Lexus to take this matter very seriously and stop sweeping it under the rug.

One of my friends is almost through purchasing an RX, should I warn him and probably cancel the sale? I do not wish to see him in trouble. 

Just advise him to make sure the seller has fitted the Canbus protection plate.

I had mine fitted at the end of September when it went to my dealer for its first service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flookyk said:

Just advise him to make sure the seller has fitted the Canbus protection plate.

I had mine fitted at the end of September when it went to my dealer for its first service.

Thank you so much, will do.

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Had the protection plates fitted, no problems. The dealership was most accommodating. Lexus are listening and have reacted to the evolving situation.

How much does it cost roughly if you don't mind, please? Thank you.

Lexus should be issuing an official recall to sort this on EVERY model affected - Steve E C is a typical owner who will have no idea his car is at risk. 30 seconds crouched down by the front wing in a car park while pretending to tie your shoelaces is all it takes. A Faraday pouch or tin will not prevent this type of theft. Ghost, canbus immobiliser, steering lock or tracker with immobiliser will prevent or slow down theft but not before the car has had potentially thousands of pounds worth of damage inflicted on it.
EVERY Lexus of this sort of age is at risk… but it’s only the RX that’s being given the solution as it’s the only one that’s ended up in the UK top ten most stolen.

After reading these posts I contacted the Lexus dealership in Sheffield.  They where not aware of the issue although they had one customer come to them with a non working headlamp and unclipped bumper.  They then came back to me to say their was a kit to fit to the light to secure them and that the cost would be somewhere between £250 and £350 to supply and fix.  I wrote to Lexus HQ on their enquiry webpage.  Got a call a few days later from the Sheffield dealership to say Lexus had offered to do the work free of charge.  This was completed on 25th September and shows on the service record as 'ECU protection kit'

I have also turned off the keyless entry both at the car itself (It is in the vehicle settings) and the keys, so no broadcast a signal transmitting from the car or the keys - ruling out the signal theft option. 

I also came across a OBD port lock which I have just fitted (£55) from amazon.  It will slow them down, it looks like you would destroy the OBD port if you tried to remove this protection without the special key.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Anti-Theft-Immobiliser-Socket-Interface/dp/B07MMV98YS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R0JV5PCJJ887&keywords=obd+lock+protector&qid=1697036418&sprefix=obd+lock%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3

I feel a bit more comfortable.

I am considering the  Scorpion X immobiliser for £400 (with the £50 Lexus Club Discount), this would slow them down if they somehow got the key fob.

I am also looking at a Tracker - these are expensive although there is a low cost DIY option on amazon for £155 for the device with 5 years live tracking included - then £50 for another 5 years.  This can be refitted to other cars should you sell.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Inclusive-Subscriptions-Included-Motorhome/dp/B09KM19J66/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=1179776988048503&hvadid=73736283447716&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=132934&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-73736256882765%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=25499_1964931&keywords=gpsbob+gps+tracker&qid=1697037405&sr=8-4

Thanks for posting this problem, i hope some of what I have done would be of interest to others.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alan Keegan said:

After reading these posts I contacted the Lexus dealership in Sheffield.  They where not aware of the issue although they had one customer come to them with a non working headlamp and unclipped bumper.  They then came back to me to say their was a kit to fit to the light to secure them and that the cost would be somewhere between £250 and £350 to supply and fix.

Glad you got is sorted, but is the dealership incompetent or are there no communications from Lexus HQ to dealerships?

Hard to know as I was dealing with the service manager who appeared to be on the ball, guess there have not been any real instances in Sheffield to date - he did not appear to know that the one instance they had had of a pulled bumper was an attempted theft.  Maybe my enquiry sorted the communication out - I do not believe a recall has been done to address this yet for all owners.

As far as I know no access is needed to keys or obd port - just the front wheel arch to get to the headlamp ecu.

Dealers should *bleep* know about this by now.

Also have a look at trackerteam - they fitted my scorpion S5 with immobiliser - they do deals now and again so you should get insurance approved tracking plus an immobiliser for 500-ish.

On 10/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, Alan Keegan said:

After reading these posts I contacted the Lexus dealership in Sheffield.  They where not aware of the issue although they had one customer come to them with a non working headlamp and unclipped bumper.  They then came back to me to say their was a kit to fit to the light to secure them and that the cost would be somewhere between £250 and £350 to supply and fix.  I wrote to Lexus HQ on their enquiry webpage.  Got a call a few days later from the Sheffield dealership to say Lexus had offered to do the work free of charge.  This was completed on 25th September and shows on the service record as 'ECU protection kit'

I have also turned off the keyless entry both at the car itself (It is in the vehicle settings) and the keys, so no broadcast a signal transmitting from the car or the keys - ruling out the signal theft option. 

I also came across a OBD port lock which I have just fitted (£55) from Amazon.  It will slow them down, it looks like you would destroy the OBD port if you tried to remove this protection without the special key.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Anti-Theft-Immobiliser-Socket-Interface/dp/B07MMV98YS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R0JV5PCJJ887&keywords=obd+lock+protector&qid=1697036418&sprefix=obd+lock%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3

I feel a bit more comfortable.

I am considering the  Scorpion X immobiliser for £400 (with the £50 Lexus Club Discount), this would slow them down if they somehow got the key fob.

I am also looking at a Tracker - these are expensive although there is a low cost DIY option on amazon for £155 for the device with 5 years live tracking included - then £50 for another 5 years.  This can be refitted to other cars should you sell.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Inclusive-Subscriptions-Included-Motorhome/dp/B09KM19J66/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=1179776988048503&hvadid=73736283447716&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=132934&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-73736256882765%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=25499_1964931&keywords=gpsbob+gps+tracker&qid=1697037405&sr=8-4

Thanks for posting this problem, i hope some of what I have done would be of interest to others.

Hi Alan,

I am the Sales Rep at Scorpion and I run the offer. More than happy to give you a call discuss security further if you'd like!

• Like 1

I must comment on how knowledgable, practical and personable everyone is in this group who’s responded to my situation - theft of my RX450 about 16 days ago. Insurance company gave me a very fair price for my loss and I’ve returned to my Lexus dealer and bought a ex-demonstrator, low mileage rx350, registered in May 2023. I’ve asked for either assurance that the model has improved anti Can-bus security or that the retro fit is done before I take delivery - local guys are not fully informed - but they will Be!

On 10/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, NemesisUK said:

Had the protection plates fitted, no problems. The dealership was most accommodating. Lexus are listening and have reacted to the evolving situation.

Peter,

I too had the plates fitted but given the fact that this situation took so long to resolve from the first reported CANbus enabled thefts in Japan in Feb 2001 I am unimpressed with the time taken for the solution to make it to the UK.  Over 2 years...

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/japanese-police-struggling-with-growing-number-of-'can-invaders'-used-to-steal-luxury-cars

The protection plates were rolled out in South Africa long before they were rolled out in the UK and I am left wondering why the UK theft situation had to get so bad for any action to be taken.

I agree that dealer service is remaining good but Lexus UK performance is underwhelming (on this and other issues).  Many people have seen insurance go up by a factor of two partly due to this delayed action (this is a general trend but the RX increases are particularly bad).

Paul

11 hours ago, PDM said:

The protection plates were rolled out in South Africa long before they were rolled out in the UK and I am left wondering why the UK theft situation had to get so bad for any action to be taken.

They certainly weren't proactive enough and on the outside appears to purely be a business accounting decision. Continual negative press and potential lost sales meant it got to the point where it is cheaper to fit plates than not to. ES, NX, UX and LC owners are still left vulnerable because the numbers stolen of these models are high enough yet.

5 hours ago, LeoMan said:

Anyone have part number or at least pictures of the plates? Am from Canada and we have a huge theft problem too. Would like to investigate the plates more.

There was no part number on the paperwork when I had the fix, I think it would be best if pictures were not posted online.

Sounds like Lexus Canada have their head in the sand as they must be aware of the problem and the potential fix.

I've been a member of this forum for almost 20 years and have had 3 Lexus RX's in that time. I have never seen a forum topic that has had the impact of "attempted theft of my 450h". The number of views and comments is staggering and so is the response of Lexus itself. My current 450h Takumi was almost £60,000 of my personal cash. This for a car that can be stolen within one minute if I am correctly informed. Now we're hearing that insurance companies are either cashing in, or refusing to insure the car at all !

Only a major recall will rectify this problem so that every car is protected and the thieves go elsewhere. Lexus is reminding me of certain vaccine manufacturers and governments who now have their heads in the sand hoping the problems they've caused will go away.

When the marketing goons spiel on about "Lexus engineers"  and what they have achieved,  it just makes me cringe. 

Thank you Lexus.

• Like 1

Yes Alan, scary times, mine is booked in for next Wednesday for plate fitting, and I have additional security devices on the vehicle, but as they are not Thatcham approved, it appears to be of no benefit whatsoever on insurance premiums.

it is a sad fact that it appears today, there is little or no recourse when due to no fault of the owners, we are penalised for ownership of our vehicle, due to the manufacturer sitting on its hands.

I initially spoke with my dealer in August about the plate fitting to secure the Canbus issue. I then contacted Lexus customer service who stated they were aware of the issue, and but were not aware that the RX, was then 4th most stolen car in the U.K. ( now No2 apparently) so I sent them the information from Confused.Com.

I was informed that they were dealing with London and inside the M25 where most thefts had occurred! From additional research I did it appears that black, silver, and grey RX’s are the best flavour to nick as they blend in better.

I must admit, this hasn’t put me off my RX ownership, and Lexus Birmingham have always remained supportive, and continued my expectation of a Lexus dealer. The only thing that may change my opinion is the loaded insurance premiums, with extortionate excess’s to boot!

It really annoy's me that Insurance companies will not give a discount on your insurance for fitting a £500+ immobiliser which should stop most thieves steeling your car in the first place, but are happy to give you a discount if you fit a tracker which may give you the opportunity to get your car back after it has already been stolen, it what condition who knows, can anybody in the Insurance industry please explain this to me?

One thing I like about Lexus is at least they have done something to help by developing and fitting the Canbus protection plate, I had mine fitted at the end of Sept at its first service by Teesside Lexus.

I haven't heard of Land Rover doing anything at all to help owners of Range Rovers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links