Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

37 minutes ago, andrew-amazing said:

Are IGLA or CANBLU systems really effective against can bus attacks?

Strongly recommended. Had two attempts twice this past summer in Toronto Canada-they couldn't even put the car into gear. the thieves got away in-you guessed it a stolen Lexus

• 2 weeks later...

Having started this thread a year ago, one year on and almost to the day there has been another attempt at stealing my RX!

I had the metal plates fitted last year and I had a very visible steering lock (Stoplock Pro Elite) on the car but this did not stop the scumbags from trying again.

My security lights came on which made them run away like the rats that they are but not before trying to pull off the bumper and the wheel rim plastic.

Lexus were very accommodating and managed to put everything back in place very quickly.

Unfortunately this is just something we are going to have to live with. They will not be able to steal the car but it will not stop them damaging it.

I think Saudi Arabia have got it right by chopping off the hands of these scumbags.

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Rob62 said:

Having started this thread a year ago, one year on and almost to the day there has been another attempt at stealing my RX!

I had the metal plates fitted last year and I had a very visible steering lock (Stoplock Pro Elite) on the car but this did not stop the scumbags from trying again.

My security lights came on which made them run away like the rats that they are but not before trying to pull off the bumper and the wheel rim plastic.

Lexus were very accommodating and managed to put everything back in place very quickly.

Unfortunately this is just something we are going to have to live with. They will not be able to steal the car but it will not stop them damaging it.

I think Saudi Arabia have got it right by chopping off the hands of these scumbags.

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

Awful!! Which part of the UK you’re living? 

Congratulations on an infamous milestone [sarcasm]: Lexus RX is the number one stolen car, by percentage of registered, in the UK.

1 in 46 stolen! 1 in 90 for Lexus overall...sigh.

image.thumb.png.008ca38a3ca00afde56e4f11f449258f.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13060215/Britain-stolen-cars-Interactive-graphic-targeted-thieves-list-Lexus-RX-Range-Rover.html#:~:text=According to MailOnline analysis of,SORN) being nabbed by thieves

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob62 said:

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

Look into using a magnetic decal at that spot (e.g. GPS Car Alarm)-it may help deter the thieves

At least the plates work.  Might be worth leaving the bumper for a bit, at least it tells other thieves the car is protected and they may leave it alone.

Just found out there is a free of charge update from Lexus to fit 2 protection plates to protect the source of attack.

Mine is booked in to have these fitted............suggest you contact your local dealer to demand they carry out this mod to your car............there is a TSB for this.

2 minutes ago, Mizuno said:

Just found out there is a free of charge update from Lexus to fit 2 protection plates to protect the source of attack.

Mine is booked in to have these fitted............suggest you contact your local dealer to demand they carry out this mod to your car............there is a TSB for this.

Thanks Neil but as per my original post, I had these plates fitted back in July 2023.

Unfortunately they will not stop scumbags damaging the car anyway before they realise they cannot get to the cables.

In addition to the Lexus plates being fitted, I have also hidden 2 airtags within the car with the speakers removed. 😉

As extra security if a thief does get into the car physically or through the can-bus I have also a hidden switch which isolates the brake light switch wiring so the engine will not start.

Low cost simple solution which could save your car being driven away...........easy mod for an auto electrician

On 12/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, Spock66 said:

7 hours ago, Mizuno said:

I emailed CR at Lexus and within ½ hr had a reply, saying that my local dealership will be in touch to book me in. Thanks for the info 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, my pride & joy said:

BTW what's a TSB?

Technical Service Bulletin is a document that identifies an unanticipated vehicle or part issue and provides a solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, katabrontes said:

Good ideas Mazumo.  Simple and cheap and probably effective.  Are the AirTags sufficiently reliable to act as trackers?

Air tags are ok as long as you have people walking past the car who own a Iphone

if the car is left in a garage or in a area with little on no foot fall then it won't really work. admittedly as some point the car will have to be moved.

39 minutes ago, my pride & joy said:

I have a ghost II fitted that came with warning stickers.  What is the concensus re putting them on the windows  - yay or nay?

The general advice is to not reveal that you have it installed. I guess the idea is to have the potential thief stumble and panic, instead of prepare and go looking for it in the usual place they are usually installed. 

I had an S5 tracker installed alongside mine last year. I know it won’t stop the attempt in theft but I feel better knowing that I can always track it at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, my pride & joy said:

I have a ghost II fitted that came with warning stickers.  What is the concensus re putting them on the windows  - yay or nay?

The way i look at it is that if you dont have the sticker on then they are going to attempt to steel it, ( damage to your car )if it does have the sticker on it may stop them from attempting to steel it. ( no damage to your car )

i dont think it would be easy to find, its only as big as a stick of chewing gum and can be fitted Anywhere within  the wiring loom, under the bonnet, within the passenger compartment or even the boot, that's a lot of places to look

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links