Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

key fob low battery warning?

Is there no warning that the key fob Battery is getting low displayed anywhere?

Jumped in my 2 year old UX to go home and it wouldn't start.

Fortunately, I work only a mile or so from the Leeds dealership and they replaced the Battery free of charge but I am conscious I could have been in the middle of nowhere.

Will make sure I keep a spare in future but surprized why it didn't display anywhere.

Any advice anyone please?

1 hour ago, Loken said:

Is there no warning that the key fob battery is getting low displayed anywhere?

Fortunately, I work only a mile or so from the Leeds dealership and they replaced the battery free of charge but I am conscious I could have been in the middle of nowhere.

Will make sure I keep a spare in future but surprized why it didn't display anywhere.

Normally does display near the speedo. The fact that you jumped however, means that the key must have had enough Battery charge to get the doors open.

Regardless, even if the main Battery is dead there is a backup Battery behind the Lexus badge. Press the "power" button with the key fob and it should work in an emergency situation

• Like 1

I've only had a low Battery (key fob) warning once. It took me aback a bit as the car had only been in for it's service about a month prior. I honestly thought, or assumed rather, replacing the Battery in the key was a standard part of the service (it certainly was the case at other manufacturers I've dealt with in the past). 

Anyway, fortunately everything on the car still worked and after a quick five minutes on YouTube, I managed to replace it myself. It's a little bit fiddly as I thought it would be, but it wasn't too bad and I got there in the end. 

Thanks for the replies, i will have to check the handbook. Definitely no alarm sounded.

Also when I got in the car it may have not locked when I originally got to work.

As for the back up Battery it definitely would not start the car with the key fob.

Still worried that next time I could be stuck in the back of beyond but I will do some homework as to the best solution.

18 hours ago, Loken said:

Thanks for the replies, i will have to check the handbook. Definitely no alarm sounded.

Also when I got in the car it may have not locked when I originally got to work.

As for the back up battery it definitely would not start the car with the key fob.

Still worried that next time I could be stuck in the back of beyond but I will do some homework as to the best solution.

A message pops up in the multifunction display on the left saying that the key fob Battery is low.

I always carry a new Battery with me (just in case), and when i get back home at the end of the day i turn the key fob in sleeping mode (press the lock button and press twice the open button, the red LED will blink 4 times to confirm). This saves the Battery since the key fob is continuously searching for the car lock radio signal.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:47 PM, Loken said:

Fortunately, I work only a mile or so from the Leeds dealership and they replaced the battery free of charge but I am conscious I could have been in the middle of nowhere.

That's good service from the Leeds dealership Jim.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:59 PM, NemesisUK said:

According to the handbook (both mine and for your model/year) there would be an alarm when the hybrid system stops to alert one the key battery is low.

I Get a Warning Coming Up On The information screen Well In Advance of losing Battery power in the key fob...

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 5:16 AM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

I Get a Warning Coming Up On The information screen Well In Advance of losing battery power in the key fob...

First M.O.T. on Monday Ken Edinburgh In For 8.15Am..Hope it doesn,t take too long Hopefully home by 11

19 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

First M.O.T. on Monday Ken Edinburgh In For 8.15Am..Hope it doesn,t take too long Hopefully home by 11

Lexus Edinburgh? Eastern/ Western. They do MOT while you wait? If so, great. I`m dealing with Glasgow Lexus.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, Govanguy said:

Lexus Edinburgh? Eastern/ Western. They do MOT while you wait? If so, great. I`m dealing with Glasgow Lexus.

Hi Alex.. Just back From Lexus Edinburgh Great Service Passed M.O.T Car valeted Waited about 2Hours Just home now.. Had a look at the new UX/NX Did,nt tell the wife.. Obviously.. Brilliant cars and so Reliable..But Here,s the thing Was Talking to a couple who have a UX250h and they said they had a wee bit of trouble with there car .seemingly they were out for a drive stopped off at a cafe for tea and couldnt get out of the car..the doors had completely locked and would,not open They tried and tried to open the doors but to no avail..they ended up phoning the AA  Who Eventually managed to get them out the car...It seems that because they are like Sunday drivers and don,t do many miles the 12volt Battery had somewhat depleted and the car had gone into some sort of safe mode..Just wondered if you had come across this or read about it...You Can let me know..All The best.. Ron

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I changed mine recently as I had the same message appear a few weeks ago. Ordered a pack of batteries from amazon so I have a few spare ones. 

I contacted my local Lexus dealership and told them this as I've only had this car for a few months. I suggested that they should change both key fob batteries on every used Lexus that they sell. It's a 2 minute job and the cost of the batteries are cheap. I'm just glad I wasn't away on holiday with the car when it happened. 

15 hours ago, HPS13 said:

I changed mine recently as I had the same message appear a few weeks ago. Ordered a pack of batteries from Amazon so I have a few spare ones. 

I contacted my local Lexus dealership and told them this as I've only had this car for a few months. I suggested that they should change both key fob batteries on every used Lexus that they sell. It's a 2 minute job and the cost of the batteries are cheap. I'm just glad I wasn't away on holiday with the car when it happened. 

Just done same Hugh ordered mine on eBay CR2023 if my memory serves me.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 6:47 PM, Loken said:

JIm.. On Mine a Warning shows up on the Info screen so you know the key fob Battery is low..Don,t know why yours isn.t doing that..!!

As has been commented, you do get a low Battery warning. Unless you have managed to discharge it in the time you were away from the vehicle (cheap Battery, sat on the key for hours etc.) there is the possibility of localised interference at the location where it doesn't work. 

11 hours ago, stepppy said:

I had my low battery message last week and I use the same batteries that I put in My AirTags. Pack of eight from IKEA for £1.50, absolute bargain as long as you have an IKEA nearby of course. 

https://ingka.page.link/GLQGZzPNB1jVEnb87

Ikea batteries in a Lexus remote, whatever next??? 😂😉

• Haha 2

Yeah CR2032 anyhow got a couple of Duracell delivered. Changed it over tried the car wouldn't open. Ooooh have they sent duds, changed again put the other one in same again. Mmmm told Mrs Alaw she said I'm sure we have some somewhere in a pack she got them for some gadget. She found them a pack of six one missing but i spotted a CR2032. Put it in the key fob and presto it worked. The Duracell looked in pristine condition well packaged i thought they cant be duds. They weren't. I noticed on the back of the Battery a small sticker that small you could hardly read it. Something about harmful etc. The sticker was very small i mean small. Anyhow took one off took the working Battery out and put the Duracell in minus the sticker presto it worked. never would i have thought that small sticker would hinder the contacts. To be honest it was a straight forward job easy to do i was expecting all sorts of procedures to do to get key recognized again but no so easy. The manual just tells you to change the Battery. Happy days folks.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links