Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only Japan!

I remember reading about this ‘Brown Edition’ at the time! I picked up my UX only about three weeks earlier and remember thinking I’d have happily gone for that over my F-Sport with red leather had it been also available here in the UK.

People who know me are quite aware that I do have a fondness for beige and brown! 😳😄 The one with the tan leather is, quite literally, my ultimate UX. It's a special edition which could have been built for me! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Put a tan vinyl roof on it and hey presto we're back to'80 s Cortinas and Granada's.

Back in the 1970s my Father had a Granada Ghia ‘fastback’ in a lovely emerald metallic green with a tan leather interior, brown carpets and (from memory) a tan vinyl roof. Mmmmm…

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Back in the 1970s my Father had a Granada Ghia ‘fastback’ in a lovely emerald metallic green with a tan leather interior, brown carpets and (from memory) a tan vinyl roof. Mmmmm…

...and matching platform shoes,flares and huge shirt collars--as many will remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Superb car, far better than cars of today with a very quiet hum from the engine when driving 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I had a 2.0litre Capri. Gold with a tan vinyl roof.

• Like 1

Ohh, don't give me ideas! I wonder what my UX would look like with a tan or brown vinyl roof?! 🤔 Or make it an F-Sport with brown racing stripes! 😜

Some Inspiration.....

1)  Austin Agro  (sorry I meant Allegro)

2) Leyland Princess with Vinyl Roof

3)  Vauxhall Shuv-it  (oops that should be 'Chevette')

4) Rover P6 (with Vinyl roof)

Britain had a thing for Brown cars in days gone by ........ 

image.thumb.png.5bb159219f466d9ba14cc1830755b641.png

image.thumb.png.e15009762a07a0e611d57da976e0637e.png

image.thumb.png.2eb80fd87ea4b46f9b9281114ff89eb3.png

image.thumb.png.48ca3e53da1ed507b3e06cba10d845f0.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary H said:

Ohh, don't give me ideas! I wonder what my UX would look like with a tan or brown vinyl roof?! 🤔 Or make it an F-Sport with brown racing stripes! 😜

At work yesterday i saw a white car with blue racing stripes i thought what's this big floodlights on front grill. looked closer it was a ford Mexico. Remember them.

• Like 1

I'm loving this thread! There simply isn't enough brown cars or brown interiors on this earth! Not any more at least. 

I did once have an Audi A4 S-Line Black Edition ('Black Edition' basically replaces the shiny chrome bits with gloss black) in Teak Brown. In incredibly rare colour. It was pre-registered, but I did have a choice over Silver, Red, White, Black...and just one single Teak Brown lurking in the corner. "Brown...It has to be brown!" says I! Even the salesman look rather taken unawares by that! 😄

My late grandfather did have a 1972 Vauxhall Firenza (had it from new for 23 years...) which when it was only a few years old had to have a black vinyl roof put on it. That was only because part of the garage roof collapsed in on it and scratched it! It remained on the car not only for the remainder of the time he had it, but also after the supplying dealer bought it back for display and give it a very gentle restoration!

On 7/5/2023 at 11:34 PM, ALAW said:

At work yesterday i saw a white car with blue racing stripes i thought what's this big floodlights on front grill. looked closer it was a ford Mexico. Remember them.

Aye, I do! Before my time, but I certainly remember a few elderly examples when I was a growing up. It’s a shame the only time I see any these days are in classic car shows.

• Like 1

I think it’s great but then again I am old.  I started work as an apprentice mechanic in 1974 and this was right up there.  I do genuinely think it looks classy 🙄😳

13 hours ago, Gary H said:

I'm loving this thread! There simply isn't enough brown cars or brown interiors on this earth! Not any more at least. 

There are a few around. The MINI range has had brown in various shades since the launch in 2001, albeit it hasn’t ever seemed to be very popular. Honda also offered a light metallic brown (Urban Titanium) which my sister had for a time on a 2014 CR-V.

The BL colour was called Russet Brown from memory, but I think the P6 Rover picture may have been Mexico Brown (although my memory isn’t what it was for such things!)

BRING BACK BROWN! And while we’re at it, bright yellows and bright greens…and Slade. Just not platform shoes or flares please!

Without taking this too far down a rabbit hole, ‘taste’ and ‘fashion’ are funny things. People in the 1970s decorated their houses, dressed in the clothes, and bought cars in the colours they did (and bathroom suites!) not because they were daft, or didn’t have taste, but because that was what the consensus said was ‘right.’

In the 1980s it changed again, as it has since the 1990s. Can you imagine Artex ceilings and the like in a modern built house? Or an avocado 🥑  coloured bath (ah, Mitchell and Webb, genius)…but at the time it was considered to be fashionable and every house had them.

If you’re interested in such things, the internet has a wealth of fascinating television programmes from all eras. The BBC and Thames archives are particular favourites of mine. Recently I watched a Thames documentary from 1974 about inflation…not that much has changed! The members of the public interviewed wore different clothes but largely complained that the economic decline was the fault of joining the Common Market and going metric. Now almost everything is blamed on leaving that same ‘Common Market.’ 

🤪

• Like 1

The Italians are at it too!

I got home this afternoon to find the new improved Royal Mail once a week delivery has arrived,with a bumper 4 car magazines wedged in my mailbox.

A quick flick through Motor Sport shows the new Maserati mid size SUV called the Grecale....in a fetching shade of matte brown,complete with matching brown interior.It doesn't seem to have a vinyl roof..perhaps it's available as a bespoke option.

Evo mag had an 8 page foldout/centrefold glossy ad for the Lexus RX electric thingy,not in brown,but resembling the top of a Duracell Battery ..apt given it's a milk float.

On 7/8/2023 at 7:58 AM, First_Lexus said:

Honda also offered a light metallic brown (Urban Titanium) which my sister had for a time on a 2014 CR-V.

The BL colour was called Russet Brown from memory, but I think the P6 Rover picture may have been Mexico Brown (although my memory isn’t what it was for such things!)

BRING BACK BROWN! And while we’re at it, bright yellows and bright greens…and Slade. Just not platform shoes or flares please!

It was indeed - BL Russet Brown! I would say that is one of my all-time favourite factory colours that's come out of a car factory.

I friend of mine had a 63 plate Honda Civic in Urban Titanium! He had it from new and only sold it about 18 months ago. I remember him being not that keen on it at first despite choosing it, but did very much come to like it over time and ultimately, it became one of the reasons why he kept it as long as he did. 

Another cracker (and incredibly rare) is 'Antelope' from Vauxhall. It was available in the early Mk4 Astra and the Vectra, circa 1998/9. It was a light-ish metallic brown similar to Honda's urban Titanium but I've not seen one in the metal for many years now. It was another stunner! 

Crikey, I've not heard that Slade song for years! Well remembered there...! 😄

15 hours ago, DavidCM said:

A quick flick through Motor Sport shows the new Maserati mid size SUV called the Grecale....in a fetching shade of matte brown,complete with matching brown interior.It doesn't seem to have a vinyl roof..perhaps it's available as a bespoke option.

I've just had to Google search the Grecale...! I'd never heard of that until now! Now - that is another nice brown with matching interior! Not so sure on the exterior design, but that interior in brown is absolutely delightful! 😋 Unfortunately, I lack the funds for such a car! 

13 hours ago, McRattlehead said:

...a fake wooden dash

I've always wanted a car with a wood dash! I've never made it to those heady-heights as of yet sadly!

My upcoming NX350h Takumi when/if it ever arrives (ha!) has that wood effect trim on the front doors by the speakers - but I think it's grey. Well, it's been close to 14 months since I ordered it, so I don't remember now...! 

I had a Vanden Plas 1300 as my second car back in 1980. Absolutely loved it it. When it went to the scrap yard I kept the front seats and had them in my bedroom!

My first car was an Austin 1300 countryman with a wooden ‘stripe’ along each side of the car!

IMG_5536.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 12:05 AM, DavidCM said:

You don't see many vinyl roofs these days-- do you think they might be going out of fashion?

That’s very true - and yet they can be very attractive.

When MrsT and I got married, there were some changes on the car front.  I sold my Lotus Elan to pay for a new kitchen and we had to look for something we both liked - and could drive!

We stumbled across a Fiat dealer who had an ex-demo 128 Coupe for sale. They were also dealers for a brand of sliding roof - and a black vinyl roof product.  So it came with both - and very smart it looked too!

It was in fact a very likeable car.  It even survived MrsT deciding to reverse it out of our then narrow brick garage with the door open to aid her view.  Unfortunately it didn’t help enough for her to spot the protruding brick pillar half way down which was rammed by the edge of the door, reshaping it in the process!  😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links