Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shock absorber failure at 13000 miles!

For what it's worth this seems pretty standard across manufacturers and not just a Lexus thing as far as I know - springs and dampers are classed as a wear item and so not covered under warranty.

However the flip side to this is that you could replace them with aftermarket springs/dampers and not have to worry about it affecting the warranty (disclaimer - don't take my word for this, just a thought!).

The problems I've had with my car were always covered by the Relax warranty, so it does have value. That being said I did have problems, so the cars aren't perhaps as unwaveringly reliable as they are made out to be.

@B1RMA Was it front passenger side, by any chance?

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

For what it's worth this seems pretty standard across manufacturers and not just a Lexus thing as far as I know - springs and dampers are classed as a wear item and so not covered under warranty.

However the flip side to this is that you could replace them with aftermarket springs/dampers and not have to worry about it affecting the warranty (disclaimer - don't take my word for this, just a thought!).

The problems I've had with my car were always covered by the Relax warranty, so it does have value. That being said I did have problems, so the cars aren't perhaps as unwaveringly reliable as they are made out to be.

@B1RMA Was it front passenger side, by any chance?

No it was the driver side. I did hit a pothole but it was on the passenger side.

4 hours ago, BillNick said:

That's annoying. We are lured into a false sense of security with the Relax warrant aren't we.

I am also surprised they didn't recommend repalcing both sides at the same time - maybe that is a thing of the past?

One would hope that Relax would cover major failures which could well be eye waveringly expensive. Whereas the normal Lexus warranty which If I remember correctly was about £500 per annum maybe would have covered a shock absorber,  but as I've not paid that premium for maybe 3-4 years puts things into perspective.

I honestly expected a Lexus item like the shock absorber to last longer than 13000 miles (actually 12500 when it failed) and as I've always sung the praises of Lexus quality on the many motoring forums I frequent perhaps after this experience I'll not be so enthusiastic about Lexus quality.

I have to admit having now been using the Yaris GR for a while I'm beginning to think if the RCF is superfluous to needs, hope not.

5 hours ago, BillNick said:

That's annoying. We are lured into a false sense of security with the Relax warrant aren't we.

I am also surprised they didn't recommend repalcing both sides at the same time - maybe that is a thing of the past?

Thats a thing of the past. 

Most manufacturers only change the affected side - they dont sag or droop like they did in the old days

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

One would hope that Relax would cover major failures which could well be eye waveringly expensive. Whereas the normal Lexus warranty which If I remember correctly was about £500 per annum maybe would have covered a shock absorber,  but as I've not paid that premium for maybe 3-4 years puts things into perspective.

I honestly expected a Lexus item like the shock absorber to last longer than 13000 miles (actually 12500 when it failed) and as I've always sung the praises of Lexus quality on the many motoring forums I frequent perhaps after this experience I'll not be so enthusiastic about Lexus quality.

I have to admit having now been using the Yaris GR for a while I'm beginning to think if the RCF is superfluous to needs, hope not.

Its just one of those things though isn't it. Likely an exception to the rule.

I dont think theres been that many RCF shock failures at all even when looking at the US which sell a lot more of these cars. 

From the RC-F crew you're probably the first in the UK to have had this From an overall perspective Lexus as a brand are massively reliable compared to other premium marques

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Thats a thing of the past. 

Most manufacturers only change the affected side - they dont sag or droop like they did in the old days

Mercedes WIS tech doc instructs to replace just the affected part on cars <80k kilometres above that both sides should be replaced.

Would be interesting if someone could find the Lexus-tech.eu version?

• Like 1

When Lexus Relax launched, on Lexus Magazine there were many questions asked about the cover.

I recall one question was from a GSF owner who asked whether all or some of their shock absorber was covered. The response was that if the failure was due to the rubber components it would not be covered as considered wear and tear.

If the failure was due to electrical components it would be covered.

the article has disappeared from the Lexus magazine site, however I imagine Lexus may provide a copy of the article, or I imagine it could be found using one of the internet devices that crawls round the internet and periodically stores copies of nearly all websites

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, B1RMA said:

My thoughts as well and as the brand still leads the reliability tables again, so would it not be in Lexus interest to simply help to rectify issue at no expense to them in the scale of things.

1 hour ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

I recall one question was from a GSF owner who asked whether all or some of their shock absorber was covered. The response was that if the failure was due to the rubber components it would not be covered as considered wear and tear.

However under the old extended warranty a shock absorber would be fully covered against any fault (unless physically damaged by something external to the vehicle). There is no question that Relax is inferior - they should give owners the option to pay for an uplifted warranty but I'm guessing they don't want to highlight how many things aren't covered by Relax.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

When Lexus Relax launched, on Lexus Magazine there were many questions asked about the cover.

If the failure was due to electrical components it would be covered.

the article has disappeared from the Lexus magazine site, however I imagine Lexus may provide a copy of the article, or I imagine it could be found using one of the internet devices that crawls round the internet and periodically stores copies of nearly all websites

That was me who raised that question. I posed a follow up question, pointing out the gaps between the old extended warranty and relax and asked whether consideration might be given to the option of a paid for gap warranty to top up the relax warranty....no response!

Although by no means cheap, £500 for an avs damper fitted is a lot less than I thought it might be for some reason. The likes of the lights etc, which relax doesn't cover that really concern me (e.g. GSF headlamp well over £3k), so I started a slush for potential GSF repairs (excluding consumables) when I no longer had to pay for the extended warranty - though I put £100 per month away which is a fair bit more than the cost of the extended warranty). It's just reached £3k as no issues so far...touching wood as I type!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pielight said:

That was me who raised that question. I posed a follow up question, pointing out the gaps between the old extended warranty and relax and asked whether consideration might be given to the option of a paid for gap warranty to top up the relax warranty....no response!

Although by no means cheap, £500 for an avs damper fitted is a lot less than I thought it might be for some reason. The likes of the lights etc, which relax doesn't cover that really concern me (e.g. GSF headlamp well over £3k), so I started a slush for potential GSF repairs (excluding consumables) when I no longer had to pay for the extended warranty - though I put £100 per month away which is a fair bit more than the cost of the extended warranty). It's just reached £3k as no issues so far...touching wood as I type!

Wow, that light unit is expensive, and like the shock absorbers seem to be a consumable not covered under the Relax warranty. Like I have said before Relax is a bit like Public Liability insurance (although you have to pay for it) it's there for the really big things that may happen. But I guess it might be worth letting fellow F owners just what isn't covered and the price of them. As our cars are getting older this may be important, but I'm still of the opinion it's probably a better overall deal than what you get with other marques.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pielight said:

Can any headlamp cost a staggering £3000 ? 
Is that a “ body part “ if smashed and not just a duff bulb ? 

Malc 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Can any headlamp cost a staggering £3000 ? 
Is that a “ body part “ if smashed and not just a duff bulb ? 

Malc 

Headlight body, LEDs, motors, electronics are all a single sealed unit. Any failure on any element and the whole things goes in the bin, and as spare parts have huge markup on them (compared to markup on a complete vehicle) the cost to manufacture has little to do with the price the consumer pays.

People complain that insurance prices are high - is it any wonder when a relatively minor accident can result in a bill of 5 digits. 

It is poor that a fault not caused by accidental damage isn't covered by Relax. Same for the audio system that is also thousands to replace if it fails.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Headlight body, LEDs, motors, electronics are all a single sealed unit. Any failure on any element and the whole things goes in the bin, and as spare parts have huge markup on them (compared to markup on a complete vehicle) the cost to manufacture has little to do with the price the consumer pays.

People complain that insurance prices are high - is it any wonder when a relatively minor accident can result in a bill of 5 digits. 

It is poor that a fault not caused by accidental damage isn't covered by Relax. Same for the audio system that is also thousands to replace if it fails.

It’s absolutely bonkers that anyone’s prepared to buy a car with such ludicrous inbuilt probable on-going costs 

Wot on earth is in peoples mindsets to think any of that is sensible ? 

how dopey !   Wot possesses people to buy brand new cars 

Malc 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

It’s absolutely bonkers that anyone’s prepared to buy a car with such ludicrous inbuilt probable on-going costs 

Malc 

When the word money is meaningless to some owners.

• Like 1

I remember when I was researching for any known issues with the ISF, many moons ago, & there had been a few cases of failed headlights which if I remember correctly were some £800 each.  It was that which convinced me that the extended warranty for £895 for two years (inc European breakdown cover) was a no brainer.

I hadn’t realised until this thread that the relax warranty was not as comprehensive as the previous extended warranty!  Like others have said I would be happy to pay a top up to get the warranty to match the cover of the discontinued extended warranty.  Seems like a sure way of irritating owners who have been used to the idea of being covered for these rare, but potentially very expensive failures.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc 

Seems a tad unfair!  It’s a risk assessment at the end of the day and with a Lexus although the consequence is high, the likelihood is far lower than others.  Can’t expect to have the pros without dealing with some of the cons.

I’m glad someone bought my car new, means I could buy it used!!

• Like 3

Parts prices for cars in general are insane. I hit a stag in my wife's Renault Captur (thank God I left my GSF at home in anticipation of deer risk where I was going!). Was low speed but among the damage sustained was a plastic headlamp bracket snapped off....£1100 to replace the headlamp on a city car! A big disadvantage of our cars is their rarity. The chances of finding those sort of parts at a breakers is next to zero.

There was a GSF being broken up on eBay a while back....£1750 they were asking for a headlight in 'used condition' with 'age related marks scratches'! I don't think I'd sleep without any warranty, so once it's too old for relax I'll probably call it a day if I still have it.

• Like 1

Parts prices for cars in general are insane. I hit a stag in my wife's Renault Captur (thank God I left my GSF at home in anticipation of deer risk where I was going!). Was low speed but among the damage sustained was a plastic headlamp bracket snapped off....£1100 to replace the headlamp on a city car! A big disadvantage of our cars is their rarity. The chances of finding those sort of parts at a breakers is next to zero.

All Toyota/Lexus headlights have sacrificial brackets that will snap in an accident and then additional brackets can be attached to pre-formed mountings - at least that allows one repair.

image.thumb.png.3aaa36538d4744271bcd9190f2e7dc4a.png

I don't think I'd sleep without any warranty, so once it's too old for relax I'll probably call it a day if I still have it.

Once Relax ends you can purchased the old used warranty again - between 10 years and 15 years old, which has better coverage than Relax.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links