Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do they make ES windscreens out of perspex...?

Mincey

27 minutes ago, Derant said:

In over 40 years of driving I never had a broken windscreen, in my ES I have had the windscreen replaced twice!!

My NX had a new screen because of a similar big crack after a stone hit - first one I’d needed in years too!

9 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Laws of probability - once had three cracked windscreens in just a few months - then nothing again for years. 

Tail end of the distribution curve.

• Like 1

Not good.

I used to drive my Grandparents Volvo 1.4 340. That had 1 screen in 5 years. A few months later, same road another stone hit it and chipped it! We left it. Previous screen was a used one for £25 as in rubber surround/non bonded and £25 to install.

Many decades later only had one other screen cracked by flying stone was on my 1996 Volvo 940. Paid £195 for a new replacement.

My Toyota Auris screen has 3 stone chips in it on passenger side. Never an issue for MOT at Toyota and will not repair as phoned around and the cost was more than a new screen excess! 

James

19 minutes ago, JamesIS220 said:

Not good.

I used to drive my Grandparents Volvo 1.4 340. That had 1 screen in 5 years. A few months later, same road another stone hit it and chipped it! We left it. Previous screen was a used one for £25 as in rubber surround/non bonded and £25 to install.

Many decades later only had one other screen cracked by flying stone was on my 1996 Volvo 940. Paid £195 for a new replacement.

My Toyota Auris screen has 3 stone chips in it on passenger side. Never an issue for MOT at Toyota and will not repair as phoned around and the cost was more than a new screen excess! 

James

Yes - I don't bother replacing windscreens until it's an MoT failure or a significant crack - have two small chips in my current one that have been there a few years now - ironically one happened just after changing it! 

• Thanks 1

My appointment for a replacement on Thursday has been confirmed. I would urge everyone to go down to Ladbrookes and stick a fiver on it being cancelled as there's not a chance in 1,000,000,that they'll have a screen by then. Tiff will probably have been stolen by the time a screen arrives over here.

• Like 1

I’ve had a few replacement screens over the years but only since I’ve been driving my Lss’ and since about 1999 ….. don’t recall any prior, I’ve been driving since 1967 

Had chips repaired from time to time and assume that’s “ saved “ a windscreen 

Sometimes heard loud “ cracks “ with stones whacking it from passing traffic whatever but they’ve only ever made slight chips on the screen 

They're insured but the inconvenience ……. 🥵

Malc 

17 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I’ve had a few replacement screens over the years but only since I’ve been driving my Lss’ and since about 1999 ….. don’t recall any prior, I’ve been driving since 1967 

Had chips repaired from time to time and assume that’s “ saved “ a windscreen 

Sometimes heard loud “ cracks “ with stones whacking it from passing traffic whatever but they’ve only ever made slight chips on the screen 

They're insured but the inconvenience ……. 🥵

Malc 

It's odd - I've clearly been lucky with windscreens (up to a point!). I managed to get through 4 years in a Vauxhall Nova, 2 years in a Rover 600, 3 years in IS200 #1, 5 years in IS200 #2 and 11 years of the 12 I had my IS250 without having anything more than a chip. Then the cracks started! Both stone hits on the ES's resulted in instant cracks. I don't know it's because both hit right at the very top of the screen perhaps? The crack on my IS250 started after a stone hit the very left hand side of the screen. Are edges more susceptible to producing cracks than a smack in the middle?

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

It's odd - I've clearly been lucky with windscreens (up to a point!). I managed to get through 4 years in a Vauxhall Nova, 2 years in a Rover 600, 3 years in IS200 #1, 5 years in IS200 #2 and 11 years of the 12 I had my IS250 without having anything more than a chip. Then the cracks started! Both stone hits on the ES's resulted in instant cracks. I don't know it's because both hit right at the very top of the screen perhaps? The crack on my IS250 started after a stone hit the very left hand side of the screen. Are edges more susceptible to producing cracks than a smack in the middle?

If you want to break a car window (to get out) I think you are supposed to hit it at an edge rather than in the middle, so that makes sense for your cracked windscreens.

• Thanks 1

Damaged windscreens probably a factor of more roadworks, trucks carrying uncovered hardcore/gravel whatever and more road traffic throwing-up all that detritus, stones and walloping our cars 

Other drivers causing it all for sure …… it’s not self inflicted by us is it 🧐

Malc 

Windscreen repairing/replacement is certainly a growth business in Italy and no doubt elsewhere.  Within a 20km radius of my home I can today choose between four different franchises.  Five years ago there was only one.  

Yes, I will be touching wood immediately after posting this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

If you want to break a car window (to get out) I think you are supposed to hit it at an edge rather than in the middle, so that makes sense for your cracked windscreens.

Makes sense to me! Now I need the reason why all stones hit my cars right on the edge...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think there is a rule about lorries having guards to help reduce the incidence of thrown up stones breaking following vehicle windscreens.  This seems to be more effective in some cases than others.  I would like to see it mandatory for ALL vehicles to have such protection.  It would not completely stop  damage but but would certainly reduce it, 

7 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I think there is a rule about lorries having guards to help reduce the incidence of thrown up stones breaking following vehicle windscreens.  This seems to be more effective in some cases than others.  I would like to see it mandatory for ALL vehicles to have such protection.  It would not completely stop  damage but but would certainly reduce it, 

I’m sure you’re right about the laws in place nowadays about lorry loads being covered ….. it wasn’t always thus ! 

And loose cannon fodder being strewn across roads for cars to just throw up and into passing traffic won’t ever be prevented …… unless we see more road sweepers in action 🤔

Insurers probably have facts and figures and clever formulae for how much we’re all at risk ……. Well, themselves and OUR PREMIUMS 😰

Malc 

I've just had a text from Autoglass saying "see you tomorrow!". I'm still expecting a call to say don't bother, but perhaps - just perhaps - when Betsy had her unfortunate incident with that stone on the A16 they thought they'd better get a spare ES screen in, just in case?

EDIT - I will of course make sure that they have actually got the right screen before they take Tiff's current screen out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links