Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going to view a car at main dealer

Hi there,

I am viewing a nx300h f sport on Monday.  It is 2020 and has done about 21000 miles.  Does anyone please have any advice on what questions to ask the dealership?  Any specific issues I should check out.  Thank you for your time. 

• Like 1

Congratulations! Frankly I don't think there are any "main issues" for the car at that age. Mine is similar model and mileage and 2019 and all good. They should have serviced it (ensure) and therefore it will have a 10000 mile 1 year Relax warranty already if they're not offering you more. So just check this. Otherwise - enjoy! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would echo the comments made by @Steve Oliver regarding a service and the Relax warranty. Also make sure that they do the hybrid Battery health check at the same time.

Also ask whether it has had the the multimedia software upgrade for both Android Auto and apple CarPlay (if that's a priority for you). It should be eligible for the upgrade but whether it has been done is another question. If not, ask them to do it as part of the deal (as it can be expensive to do after the purchase).

You might already be aware that this version of the NX300h is susceptible to the CANBUS method of theft (if you're not aware then take a look at the associated post at the top of the forum listing). Would be good for you to mention this to the salesman so that if you do buy the car you're ahead of the game with respect to the forthcoming security enhancements.

I owned a 2018 NX300h with similar mileage for 3 years and it was trouble-free. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much so far.  Yes I’ve just been reading up about the security issue.  It has apple play and has been serviced by Lexus.  There were two advisories in the last MOT for tyre wear front.  So making sure I hold them to the sword to replace those tyres. 

• Like 5

I had a NX300H for 4 years and 32000 miles - trouble free. Averaged over 40mpg throughout my ownership. Definitely check tyre wear although I didn't need to replace mine but believe the dealer did change the fronts prior to resale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I have an email now from them saying they will replace the tyres.  Average price for the car on research is up to about £25000.  They want nearly 28000!

• Like 2

I would give it a good check over inside and out. It has fairly low mileage so should be in good condition.

I would try to get a price reduction or good trade in price (which is not always easy 🙄)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the past I've always asked things like does the dealership know if the car has been smoked in previously, or been used to carry pets by the previous owner(s), if these things are an issue for you. But as others have said, a 2020 car should mostly be in very good condition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You will never find a retail dealer, Lexus or otherwise that will match the so called retail figure from any legitimate car valuation source such as examples on the internet, Parker's Guide, Glasses Guide or Black Book, the latter two being the main source of used car values the trade use.   Why?  Their policy is to take the maximum retail A1 condition value from recognised publications and then add anything they like as a buffer for them should the potential customer decide to negotiate.   Not all customers research values at main dealerships, Lexus in your case.   True the likes of Autotrader will list numerous examples from Independent outlets and may well quote lower prices but a Lexus dealer knows that Lexus buyers want the 10 year 100,000 miles warranty, they know they might have to replace a couple of tyres if the customer notices a pair of poor tyres, generally they will service the car if it is more than 3-6 months  since it's last service and finally they have a fixed overhead that they must include which covers things like health checks, vehicle checks and cleaning costs. That is why in your case a £3000 premium is quoted over the average price of a similar car elsewhere. All branded dealerships do this so even if you went in to any  franchised dealership for a used car and showed them a print out from Glasses guide or Black book on current Retail values, it won't make any difference as to what their sale price is.    Even if you said I'm paying cash and consider that as a useful way to get a discount a salesman still has to include the overheads mentioned.  Moreover he/she will want to try and get you into a PCP deal which is more cash for them in terms of Finance commissions.   Good Luck though.  

• Thanks 1

Do give it a good checkover inside and out. I bought a 4-yr old Lexus from a main dealer, 30-odd thousand miles, but it still showed signs of damage that I didn't think were appropriate for an approved used car. In my case a lot of muck underneath, undertray panels held on with cable ties and a dented exhaust.

I ended up exchanging mine under the 30 days return policy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SH20 said:

You will never find a retail dealer, Lexus or otherwise that will match the so called retail figure from any legitimate car valuation source such as examples on the internet, Parker's Guide, Glasses Guide or Black Book, the latter two being the main source of used car values the trade use.   

Not true - I’m afraid in my main Lexus dealer purchase was under it. And that was with me requiring work to be completed to bring the car up to scratch. It was also a straight purchase - no trade in - and so no ability to do anything funny to make back the margin elsewhere. 

in my case, the car had been advertised for some time and the dealer clearly wanted rid. I had been looking at the models for a few weeks, and saw they’d reduced the sticker price (thousands), and I was in a couple of days later and negotiated more off (thousands). There will always be circumstances to make a deal - the key is being prepared to walk (as I was) and not being limited to local dealers (I’ve typically travelled hundreds of miles to pick up my cars). When I collected, the salesperson confirmed he was happy with the deal - so whatever it owed them, they clearly weren’t unhappy with the final result, and I remain very happy with what I paid. 

You are right that the guide prices are just that - guides. It’s always about what people are prepared to buy at, and what people are prepared to sell at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SH20 said:

You will never find a retail dealer, Lexus or otherwise that will match the so called retail figure from any legitimate car valuation source such as examples on the internet, Parker's Guide, Glasses Guide or Black Book, the latter two being the main source of used car values the trade use.   Why?  Their policy is to take the maximum retail A1 condition value from recognised publications and then add anything they like as a buffer for them should the potential customer decide to negotiate.   Not all customers research values at main dealerships, Lexus in your case.   True the likes of Autotrader will list numerous examples from Independent outlets and may well quote lower prices but a Lexus dealer knows that Lexus buyers want the 10 year 100,000 miles warranty, they know they might have to replace a couple of tyres if the customer notices a pair of poor tyres, generally they will service the car if it is more than 3-6 months  since it's last service and finally they have a fixed overhead that they must include which covers things like health checks, vehicle checks and cleaning costs. That is why in your case a £3000 premium is quoted over the average price of a similar car elsewhere. All branded dealerships do this so even if you went in to any  franchised dealership for a used car and showed them a print out from Glasses guide or Black book on current Retail values, it won't make any difference as to what their sale price is.    Even if you said I'm paying cash and consider that as a useful way to get a discount a salesman still has to include the overheads mentioned.  Moreover he/she will want to try and get you into a PCP deal which is more cash for them in terms of Finance commissions.   Good Luck though.  

Spot On..!!!

• Thanks 1

If the dealer won’t include something to protect against canbus theft I’d walk away. And I don’t mean a twenty quid steering lock - tracker and immobiliser should be included on any used Lexus at this point, until the ‘April solution’ that was stated in their post-Watchdog press release is introduced.

• Thanks 1

I would want a reputable brand of tyres fitted and not the cheap ones that they sometimes fit.

Also check the boot to make sure the spare and tools have not been removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 11:16 AM, LutonChris said:

There were two advisories in the last MOT for tyre wear front.  So making sure I hold them to the sword to replace those tyres. 

Just to point out, Chris, that if they’re replacing the two front tyres then they should go on the rear wheels.

And they should be the same as the current rear tyres ie you have the same brand and type of tyre on all four wheels!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone

We went to look at the car which was an overall disappointing experience.  The car was dirty scuffed and not in great nick.  Ok these things can be fixed with a bit of polish however the salesman seemed to have zero interest in selling me the car.  The whole thing was very strange.  So walked away.  Still not written off Lexus however overall not a great advert for the brand. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, LutonChris said:

So walked away.

Wise move Chris, by the sound of it!

1 hour ago, LutonChris said:

Still not written off Lexus however overall not a great advert for the brand. 

Don’t despair Chris. It’s much more a reflection on the Dealer.  Anyone in car sales who can’t be bothered to properly prepare a vehicle for presentation doesn’t deserve to stay in business.

I always maintain that if they can’t even be bothered about the bits you can see, then always walk away.  Are there no other recognised Lexus dealerships within a reasonable distance?  I do believe that outfits such as Carwow might be worth looking at - but I’ve no personal experience.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LutonChris said:

Hi everyone

We went to look at the car which was an overall disappointing experience.  The car was dirty scuffed and not in great nick.  Ok these things can be fixed with a bit of polish however the salesman seemed to have zero interest in selling me the car.  The whole thing was very strange.  So walked away.  Still not written off Lexus however overall not a great advert for the brand. 

Let the dealer principal know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LutonChris said:

Hi everyone

Wise move. Plenty of nice cars out there.

Good luck 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LutonChris said:

Hi everyone

I would say not a good advert for the dealership!

Something to consider is the original rwetail price of the car you are looking at. If it is over £40,000 new, then it will be in the luxury car tax band for 6(?) years.

Yes thank you that’s a good point.  Just feeling a bit deflated at the moment.  However will start the search again tomorrow.  It has to be right for the money they want!.  I may need to travel further to find a dealer who is interested lol

Agree with Ken R  ring the dealer principle not the sales manager and let him know his salesman was a waste of space. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LutonChris said:

Hi everyone

Genuinely curious - what did the salesperson do, or not do, for you to conclude they had 'zero interest in selling me the car'?

One word answer to questions, general not interested vibe.  Could not answer why if the car had been in the shop for two days why it was a state.  Didn’t really offer anything useful to hang your hat on.  You go in armed and prepared that they will be waxing lyrical about the car and it’s plus point but nothing not a flicker. It was very odd as it was in complete contrast to the first time we went in just to look at `Lexus generally.  With the end of the first quarter coming up just thought he would be wanting to make a sale. But the state of the car on its own was shocking. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links