Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Sensors ....

MrADeveci

Hi people,

I'm thinking of putting some decent looking parking sensors on my IS200, but can't decide what to get.

I don't want anything extra in the dash area, IE LCD Display, etc.

I'm quite happy with just a "sound" that comes on when the reverse gear is engaged.

This looks pretty cool

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...2491277972&rd=1

However, I remember seing some sensors that were actually mounted behind the bumpers, without having to drill any holes, does anyone know what I mean ?

Any suggestions, pictures etc would be appreciated.

- Thanks in advance.

Behind bumper type:

http://www.dyor.co.uk/parking_sensors_taurus.asp

I have just fitted this one to my RX from the same company, although they were selling it on eBay so I got it for £50:

http://www.dyor.co.uk/parking_sensors_cenrev4.asp

The veba one is also good. Prolex are selling those.

Colin,

Thanx mate, that's the word I was looking for "Electro-Magnetic"

I'd say it's goto be better than drilling holes in the bumper, I don't think I could bring my

self down to drilling holes in my LEX! :yawn:

I'll shop around the net later, including eBay, to find my self a cheap bargain.

:blink::unsure: :duh: :blush:

The only problem with the Electro-Magnetic type there needs to be movement for it to detect the object. Ultrasonic sensors will detect an object even if it, and the vehicle, are stationary.

Also the tape may have to be a certain distance from any metal and you have the crash bar behind the bumper cover. Some systems can use the metal bumper bar as an aerial rather than using tape but I haven't seen one of those for a while.

So what would you suggest is better ? the electro magnetic one or the ones that need to be drilled ?

I'd say that if the electromagnetic ones don't recognise stationary objects, then that's pretty crap ?

I have the microwave strip device on my GS - works fine and no drilling or visible sensors

Rod, that's what I really want, without drilling, but Colin is saying that it wont detect stationary objects, is that the case ?

Pointless if the thing wont notice a bollard, and I accidently don't see it :D

You have misunderstood. It will detect stationary objects, just your vehicle needs to be moving. Basically the object needs to be moving in relation to the aerial. So either the object or your vehicle or both need to be moving to get a detection.

How about the under bumper sensors kit on the same site?

Under Bumper Sensors

You get a display with it as well?

Only problem I can see (which is making me think twice to buy it for myself) is that if you have a low bumper - will it detect the car bumper (closest point to you car) or objects underneath e.g. wheels (this is not the nearest object?)

Still tempting though :winky:

Neil

I have the Steel mate PTS800MN front and rear Parking Detection System. Both front and rear have their own sensors (four each) and LED display which show left and right readings along with the distance in metres (F: 1.00-0.3, R: 1.49-0.3) and audible warning. The front display is mounted in the centre of the dash and the rear one is mounted in the centre of the roof lining at the back and you view this in your rear view mirror.

They had to be drilled, four in the front and four in the rear bumber, but they're not very big or pretruding and as my car's black they blend in nicely. They do different colour ones and they can be sprayed to match your car without affecting their performance.

Very accurate and I'm happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got some of the latest VEBA flush fit sensors :whistling: They can be fitted with or without the LED display :whistling:

Cheap as chips and flush fit :winky:

Hi ... I had a look on your website, but I couldnt find the sensors listed... I am looking to avoid the insurance excess of denting the back (been there before when a Lamp post chased me down the road and took a swing at me ;) )

Are the systems you stock the 4 sensor ones with teh display and what sort of price are they ?

I've got some of the latest VEBA flush fit sensors  :whistling:  They can be fitted with or without the LED display  :whistling:

Cheap as chips and flush fit  :winky:

Hi ... I had a look on your website, but I couldnt find the sensors listed... I am looking to avoid the insurance excess of denting the back (been there before when a Lamp post chased me down the road and took a swing at me ;) )

Are the systems you stock the 4 sensor ones with teh display and what sort of price are they ?

Hi

they are £90 inc P&P & VAT

the kits I have do not have the LED display but I can get one for you (no charge)

PM me if you have any other questions !

• 2 weeks later...

Well as an update :)

I just finished fitting some car parking sensors yesterday and there great....

Some pics :)

A far view of the rear sensors...

normal_parkingsensor1.JPG

A closer view of the rear sensors...

normal_parkingsensor2.JPG

A the parking sensor display...

normal_parkingsensor3.JPG

Job's a gud-un :)

(Even managed to poish the car as well)

I bought mine from Dave at Prolex-UK with the display coming from SteveAudioX...

The set I fitted is identical to this kit http://www.dyor.co.uk/parking_sensors_veba_4recess.asp

but with a display as well.

If your get it from Dave you will also have the added benifit of supporting a LOC member and being able to parry his sales advances when you meet him in the flesh with the responce that you have already bought from him ;) :D

I bought mine from Dave at Prolex-UK with the display coming from SteveAudioX...

The set I fitted is identical to this kit http://www.dyor.co.uk/parking_sensors_veba_4recess.asp

but with a display as well.

If your get it from Dave you will also have the added benifit of supporting a LOC member and being able to parry his sales advances when you meet him in the flesh with the responce that you have already bought from him ;) :D

Nice looking job !!

I've got 3 sets left all with the LED display just waiting fior a good home ! :winky:

Well as an update :)

I just finished fitting some car parking sensors yesterday and there great....

Some pics :)

A far view of the rear sensors...

normal_parkingsensor1.JPG

A closer view of the rear sensors...

normal_parkingsensor2.JPG

A the parking sensor display...

normal_parkingsensor3.JPG

Job's a gud-un :)

(Even managed to poish the car as well)

do they come painted??

Yeah, colour coded them myself, I can't take all the glory though as the info is on this board if you look hard enough :)

Paint came from Lexus parts dept, 8.99 for a 150mm tin which includes the clear laquer (sp? :) )and a couple of little brushes and some instructions on how to touch up stone chips.

I mounted the sensors into some cardboard first and then gave them three - four light coats of the colour spray (leaving it to dry for about 1 hour) and then about 1 hour later a coat of the clear spray.

I drilled the holes with a 19mm hole saw and arbour and then opened out the holes with a round file till the fitted very snuggly... a bit of washing up liquid aids the push fit into the bumper.

A bit of advise if you are going to do it with the bumper on is to remove the rear light (right hand side) as then you can see where the foam is inside the bumper to check your not going to hit it with the drill bit. The destuctions stated 45-55mm height so I put mine at 55mm and that left enough clearence to miss the foam with the drill.

HTH

Hi,

Im new to the Lexus brotherhood having swapped my 3 month old vw golf 2.8 v6 4 motion back in March this year. Its a long story but basically I owned the golf from new for 16 weeks and it spent 13 of them back in the dealership with various problems. they did ive me a Polo 1.2 hire car which was nice !!!!!!!!!!! ( i pointed out to them that i could have saved 10 grand and bought the polo to start with)

Anyhow enough moaning about vw, now ive got me a IS 200 SE and apart from the difference in performance from the golf its a class above the golf.

But my question tonite is im gonna fit some drill flush parking sensors but i want to know how the audible beeping sensors work with the manual reverse which beeps anyway. Will it just sound like a whole load of beeps that will drive me mad

or can the manual reverse beeps be disabled so i only hear the sensor system

any suggestions most welcome

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links