Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Out of interest...

dazzab69

What other cars did you test drive when making the decision to buy the IS ?

In early 2001 I only drove a BMW 320 SE because the Audi A4 and the BabyJag weren't available yet and the Alfa is just too unreliable. I rejected it only because of the strange pedal positions which LED to several stalls on the test drive (big feet ?), and also the vast amount of dosh that BMW wanted to equip the 320 to a decent level. Other than that I thought the handling of the 320 was as good and that the engine was sweet (heresay I know).

Was a no brainer, heard about it, saw it, drove it, loved it, bought it and now cherish it. Very simple - Great cars, terrific service, great club atmosphere with a common feeling to our cars. Lovely to drive, very well equiped.

Welcome to the club, assuming you have bought you are making the right decision

Andy

:cool::lol::cool:

I test drove the new Laguna, not very impressed when going round corners, plent of toys and a V6 though. I was on my way to the Alfa showroom when I passed Lexus, I thought I wish I could afford one of those. Stopped to have a look anyway, was shocked by the price. Had a test drive and then ordered mine there and then. Been happy motoring since :bounce:

Coming form an IS200, I was about to change, for an Audi A4 quattro pack plus or 3L or TDI180cv, I went to Audi asking prices, retail prices, options…they are crasy !! and the A4 is a very comun car down there, around 3000 euros for the GPS plus !!

I testdrive a BMW 325 with the SMG system, cool engine, cool sequential gears box, but commun car too, and if you want some options, they're nuts.

Finally I went back to the Lexus Sportcross, nice engine, nice design inside and outside and definitly not a comun car in France, as we're plaining a baby that was the reasonable option for the near future, keeping the sport side with the 3L engine and the 213cv :tumble:

Yes Andy I did buy the IS200 (of course) in Feb 2001. And apart from a few niggles I'm still happy.

The service was (and still is) a major selling point although to be fair Colchester BMW were very friendly and didn't provide the "attitude" I'd heard about at other BMW dealers. The great thing about Lexus dealers is that it doesn't seem to matter whether you are spending £20K on an IS or £60K on the top LS, you are important regardless and made to feel that way.

The decision on a replacement in 2004 may be a little tougher. I may wait until 2005 for the new IS and I definately want a bit more power/pace next time (3 litres +) and a manual box (Lexus take note). The IS200 is begining to be caught by too many of the rep-mobiles and Lexus need to sort that.

I test drove a Audi A4 2.0 and BMW 318. I thought the Audi was just boring and the BMW slow (and I couldn't afford a more powerfull one). I think my heart was already set on the Lexus anyway from seeing it in magazines. I just wanted one!

I'm now looking to change again as mine's coming up to three years old. I'm also disappointed at the number on the road now! Went to the Audi garage the other day but they are still totally boring. I couldn't get used to the pedals in the manual X-Type (my foot kept catching the clutch as there isn't enough room to the left). Test drove the C class, not very exciting and would need to be an auto for resale value. Might take a BMW 330i and 330d for a drive to see what I think.

ruled BMW out - undriven.

Don't like 'em - don't like the impression everyone has of BMW drivers (largely deserved) - don't want people thinking of me like that.

Drove the X-Type and was put off by the bodyroll - even on the stiffened suspension sports model, it was a bit "rolley"

Looked at the Merc - didn't really like the body shape - and the interior was kak. The Renault I was changing from had a nicer interior.

I tried to get a test drive in the laguna when my renault was in for service, but sales manager wouldn't let me - I figure he saw my scruffy looking jeans, the fact I was driving a three ear old Megane and thought I was trying him on.

So they gave me a POS Clio.

When i explained to him how much I was looking to spend, and that I was thinking of a Lexus - he practically threw his business card at me, and tried to book me in for a test drive - but I had ruled the Laguna out by then.

I think the problem was I "wanted" an IS - every time I saw one on the road I tough "Hmm - I really like the look of that" and especially "Look at them wheels and ties".

So I went to Lexus first, was completely impressed with the service, and loved the test drive - sold!

Honda Accord Type-R. Very good car, very fast car, but lack of refinements inside. Looked at 320i Coupe too, but like most of us have said - image put me right off. I drove the IS200 and then spent 3 hours driving a deal with the dealer. 2 weeks later, right in the middle of the petrol strikes I took delivery - didn't get to drive it far for 3 days because Lexus Glasgow could only give me 1/4 tank of petrol -- I was frustrated!:(

i saw a 320Ci beemer on a 51 plate 6months old 4500miles goin for £19000. bargain i thought i want it. i went to the main beemer dealers in stafford and took a test i quite liked the car. the way the seats lifted so i could see over the bonnet then lower them again when im talkin to the ladies outside the clubs (gotta look relaxed):D. went to the garage where i saw the 320 and it was nice full electrics,skirts front splitters xenons etc- then the guy said it had 2 owners in 6months from new he said his wife needed a car for a week so he gave her that and had to register it on her for road tax etc. YEAH RIGHT I AINT NO IDIOT, nearly knocked the guy through the windscreen for wasting my time then feedin me some crap lines.

also a TT convertible but needed hard top to get insured. love them cars 2 but audi dealers are clowns, may get the new TT in 2005 with bigger engine!

SLK- 2 small very pricey for 230 kompressor! plus couldnt get insured bein 19 and all!!

toyota celica 190. nice drive nice power but not spending £20000 on a normal toyota.

always wanted a lexus since they came out on sale so just went for it and it arrives nxt sunday!!:)

I weighed up between an Elise, a Volvo C70, and an Audi Cabriolet. I never considered a Lexus until I pulled into one at the same place as the Audi garage (wanted to see what they'd give me part-ex). Once I'd seen the comparative refinement my mind was made up.

Div.

Honda Accord TypeV - I like Honda's but the interior wasn't as nice as I'd expected and I was dissapointed at the lack of 'toys'

Mitsubishi Galant, full leather interior type malarky....felt like a little kid driving their dad's car

Alfa Romeo 156 T-Spark. I liked the look of the car but it didn't feel right to drive. I felt like I was battling with it the whole time. I also didn't think much of the sales tactics "We're doing you a favour by letting you drive" type attitude. The salesman wouldn't let me drive it out of the garage and drove about a mile out before he let me drive it back :mad:

I was just about to test drive one of the new Volvos (:lol:) when my husband suggested a Lexus (:saint:). The salesman was great, gave me the keys and asked me to be back in a couple of hours...! I didn't want to hand it back and it's been my pride and joy since May 2001 :bounce:

yeah i always liked the alfa 156. my uncles told me not to bother coz of reliability, quite liked the alfa spyder 2 but shape is gettin old now. the big spoiler u can get looks ace and suits the car well. and the paint is good and not flimsy. oh and that iridescent paint where it like changes colour, thats the *****. lexus should take note and offer decent paint on the new IS and maybe some crazy paint schemes like alfa and TVR

I was gonna get a black X-5 instead of my 300, but.....i'm glad i didn't!:cool::lol:

Considered the Type R (no creature comforts), the S3 (nice but wanted 4 door), Will probable stay with Lexus, BMW, i dunno...M3 maybe. Damn there's too many nice cars out there! But when you say i drive a LEXUS...doesn't that just say something???

When considering the trade-in of my current IS200 I looked at the Civic Type R where I got as far as the showroom and walked out as I was thinking about aftersales care (the reception area left me very underwhelmed), Golf - where I test drove it and hated it, Audi A4 - Didn't like the interior finish quality. BMW, test drove a few but when it came to what you get for your money, there was no other option. I'm too young for a Jag, and the Alfa's depreciate badly. I had a look inside a Merc and the finish was very poor, so didn't drive it.

Lexus always look after you which is a strong pull, the sale is the easy bit what they have got ewspecially right is taking care of their customers.

My friends did find it quite amazing that I bought the same car again. Am I alone ? The new one is a different colour and model, plus I justified it with the spoiler ;-) I think they understood at that point :-)

I didn't test drive anything else. I wanted the IS from the first time I saw it.... from deep inside... I knew that..... 3 years on, time to buy a car.... Was looking at a 2.8 V6 golf but it is a golf afterall! Also wanted a then not out YET Merc Sports Coupe, but the prices! Then I thought of the Alfa, another car which I was also wanted.... I would have gotten a 2.5 V6 or similar in Red and creamy Leather! But it was FWD and the build and depreciation just wouldn't do... mostly the FWD is a problem, as I have grown bored of FWD cars. Then saved up every penny to be able to get a IS200 SE, I needed the SE because of the wheels... I was going to have nothing else....

Went to the first dealer in Central central London (u all know which expensive location....) and they were right W*ankers!!!!!!! I was so furious with their attitude (just because I was young and my friend wasn't dressed prim and proper) but then my friend pursuaded me to go further out of London to Croydon, and wow, great service..... facelifted car (2 days old) as demo car...... let me drive it out (was a bit shaky 'cos I haven't driven a manual for years), wasn't too impressed with the steering at first, but then I still went through my life savings and bought it!!! Now my pride and joy... but soon to go in one month :(

i had no problems with that dealer (i think it was the same one - near bmw and porsche garage?), very helpful etc. i did scare the poor sales man during the test drive though :lol:

other cars that i test drove either before getting the IS or since i got it (thought about changing / getting second car a few times)

Audi S3 - Two doors put me off

Honda S2000 - Again too impractical

Lotus Exige w/ 190hp kit - Nice but no creature comforts that I'd got use to (power steering, power assisted brake, air-con, switch controls not from a Mini!)

Ferrari 360 Spider - Lovely car, great to drive but a 4 year waiting list for the spider.

Lamborghini Diablo - Too wide, driving through central london made it feel like a small bus!

Yes mate, that one... All I can say is.... I have been a long term Londoner near that area, was genuinely interested in buying a one year old IS200SE, had all the money there, and they didn't wink once or offered me a test drive (twice!). I ended up with a very good dealer and a near spanking new car instead of a one year old one! And one happy Lexus customer.... had it not been that episode.

What am I going to get next? Well, I am moving to the continent and will be working hard, so might not need a car at all, but might need a shopping trolley for the weekly shopping run, so as it saids on a tin, a Smart car probably, a 1-2 year old one so it doesn't depreciate anymore. Because I am going save to get to either get a 993 Carrerra 2 Coupe with about 30k-40k on the clocks, or a Nissan 350Z within 2 years. Help me choose guys! I am a little weary of 2nd hand cars above 15k. But it would be lovely if it turns out to be a nice one, 993 should have impeccable mechanicals. I might by then be tempted by the IS430, but have been a Porsche fan all my life.

Originally posted by Ezzer

Went to the first dealer in Central central London (u all know which expensive location....) and they were right W*ankers!!!!!!! I was so furious with their attitude (just because I was young and my friend wasn't dressed prim and proper) but then my friend pursuaded me to go further out of London to Croydon, and wow, great service..... (

SNAP! Never judge the book by it's cover! I bought my IS300 from Croydon...Tony Trick was the salesman! Croydon has great service!:cool:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links