Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Laser Eye Surgery

Lexxy_703

has anyone (or knows anyone that has) had laser eye surgery, to correct short-sightedness?

i've been wearing glasses less than a year & they are already getting on my nerves! i'm not blind without them, but anything further away than the TV sort of gets a bit blurred...(had to admit defeat & get glasses when i could no longer read the road signs - i was ok when hubby was in the car as he's long-sighted!, otherwise, just had to guess if i was on my own!! :blush: ).

i'm just interested in getting as much honest feedback as possible before i decide to be very brave :blink: (& part with a huge amount of dosh!)

thanks in advance for any comments guys... :D

A few of the people at work have had this done now and they're all ecstatic with the results - they'd all been wearing glasses for years as well when they had the surgery done and now their eyesight is perfect!

One of the girls from the office is having her op in February - not sure who they all used but they're all happy with the results.

Personally I couldn't do it, I'd end up knocking someone out if they tried to slice my eyeball open - might change my mind though as I tried contacts last year and managed to scratch one of my retina's or something and I've always got a black dot in my field of vision - it's kinda similar to the ghostbusters theme whenever I'm reading!!

My honest feedback is to leave your eyes alone if they're working - IMHO LASIK is tampering with one of the most amazing devices on the planet - i.e. a human eye. There's lots of evidence to suggest that nobody really knows what the long-term effects of LASIK are, and although it can correct sever myopia, a lot of people seem to report dry eyes and other side effects.

I have an eye disease which, although in remission now, has robbed me of my eyesight for periods - if the only problem you've got is that the telly is a little blurred, I'd leave alone and get used to the glasses. Evene if you do have LASIK, you'll prolly need glasses for reading when you get older anyways.

The surgeon that oeprated on my eyes told me that he would not do LASIK for anyone, he considers it to be almost like cosmetic surgery and sees so many people with broken eyes that he would not consisder tampering with an eye that works OK.

Don't mean to rant, but you asked for honest feedback?

I know several people who have had corrective eyesight procedures.

Generally they seem happy with the results.

A couple still needed specs even after.

1 guy at work opted not to have LASIK but a different (non invasive) procedure.

LASEK i think he said it was. Anyway, hurts like hell for a few days after !

I keep pondering too... and i've come up with this...

My optician wears lenses and she isn't happy to have hers done yet.

When she is then maybe it will be time to think about it.

So for the moment i think i'm with Rod... Too many unknowns.

Don't mean to rant, but you asked for honest feedback?

:D you aren't ranting mate! honest is what i asked for & i appreciate it!

My optician wears lenses and she isn't happy to have hers done yet.

When she is then maybe it will be time to think about it.

hmm...says a hell of a lot doesn't it... :geek:

i think Which are doing a report on this some time soon, i'll wait to see what they have to say aswell. just have to practise my glasses cleaning technique in the meantime! :P

My father-in-law had it done after years of wearing glasses and he is 72 ! His vision is better than mine. The only drawback I see is that he now has a clear view of my Mother-in-Law !!!!!!!

On a serious note though he said it is the best thing he ever did.

Bit in the Sunday Times this week was enough to put me off - not proven long-term so would not consider it - guess the true judgement is would you be prepared to lose your sight if it went wrong ... :geek:

Bit in the Sunday Times this week was enough to put me off - not proven long-term so would not consider it - guess the true judgement is would you be prepared to lose your sight if it went wrong ...  :geek:

this was on the news in the week as well ,if you do go for it just make sure you do your research on the surgeon ,my wife nearly had it done but decided to wait a few years to let any niggles come to light .what realy puts me of is some of these places offer discount for more than one person ,its like an eye surgery party as opposed to tupperware :crying:

to be honest.. if your glasses annoy you then get another pair... my first pair annoyed me as i could always feel them on my face... then i bought a lighter pair with thinner frame.. now i hardly notice them.. well happy.

My Dad didnt have the laser surgery but instead they sliced open his and popped in these tiny little lenses right inside his eye......his vision is noticeably better now (he no longer drives on the cats eyes so he knows where the road is) before he had both contact lenses and glasses.

I think it is a tough decision too make as our eye sight is one of the most under valued things in our lives, He might i add he is very happy with what he had done and it was done on the NHS but his eyesight was really very bad, personally i would wait and see what happens in the next few years.

Nick

Thankfully my eyes are fine ...... however - I wouldn't have my eyes treated under a laser surgery !!......

It's only got to go wrong, and ur bummed !

No thanks !

Get your self a nice designer pair of specs !

My boss knows a surgeon that does it. The surgeon wears glasses himself rather than have it done.

I know several opthalmic surgeons and all of them wear either glasses or contact lenses. Those I have asked don't have full confidence in the long term outcomes of lasik so won't risk it.

Also I have heard stories of a couple of people who went abroad to get it done with disappointing results....

I reckon anyone who really found out what they actually do would not want it done anyways - especially the part about jamming the steel ring against the surface of your eye to stop it moving, which usually ruptures a few blood vessels

After one of my ops, the surgeon had to stick a needle into my eye while I was fully awake (twice actually) - trust me when i say that being conscious while someone is tinkering about with your eyes is not enjoyable

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links