Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 Sport Or Is It?

Hi,

A mate of mine has had a black IS200 with chrome alloys for almost two years. His log book says its an IS200 Sport.

Since I have owned my own Lexus and through reading this site it has become obvious that his car has been lowered without him knowing.

Must have been done by the previous owner. My car is lowered 30mm on 18"s, His is on 17"s with a small finger gap between the top of the tyres and the wheel arch! Its LOWER then mine!! :lol: (No wonder he kept scrapping on speed bumps! :blush: )

Also....if its supported to be a sport then:

1) Why is his steering wheel not two-tone? Its the same as my Sport-wannabe SE.

2) Only his drivers side seat is electric, the passenger side one is manual. Both my front seats are electic.

His car was a W reg, now private registration. Were the two-tone steering wheel and front passenger seats introduced later in 2000 then?

He has the rest of the sport things i.e alloy pedals and scuff plates and (I think) rear tints - but it doesn't say sport in the rear qtr window.

I'd say its an SE dressed up as a sport - but he say he is certain the logbook says "Lexus IS200 Sport"

Thanks

Steering wheel on all UK Sports from the beginning is deffo two tone. A mate used to have a T reg and he had the two tone.

I think the electric seat on the passenger side only came in late 2000 (probably X reg onwards) on the SE and Sport at the same time as the stereo with the slot at the top.

You say you think it has rear tints? If so, are they genuine? Could have been done by a tinting company.

Does it have the rear lip spoiler? This was also standard all Sports (my mates T reg had one).

Perhaps it could be a euro import? I know for example the Sport in Ireland isn't the same spec as UK models but having said that they have the two tone wheel :yawn:

Mines a 2000 on a W plate registered May 2000 and sounds the same apart from the Sport bit on the rear 1/4 wndow and the steering wheel.

Has it got the chrome exhaust finisher :question:

Thanks for the replies. :D

Just rang my mate.

He says the the previous owner bought the car from the dealer. He has double checked his V5 and it definetly says "IS200 Sport."

It does have the chrome exhaust finisher and it has a rear spoiler (not the lip one but the high-level one like on mine - def genuine)

Regarding the tints, I'm sure I read somewhere are not all sports have sport written on the rear qtr??

My mate has not modded the car in anyway since he bought it...

Steering wheel seems a mystery however. Maybe the previous owner damaged it in some way (not sure how) and replaced it with one he got from a breakers?????

• 1 month later...

Check the trunk. If there is a 17" sport rim spare tyre, it is most definetly a sport. Most people dont go that extra mile to make it a sport unless it's a sport. The soprt came with the 17" sport rim as a spare tyre...

Steering wheel on all UK Sports from the beginning is deffo two tone. A mate used to have a T reg and he had the two tone.

Possibly not. I think you may have been able to specify not to have it and personally I think the interior looks better without it.

My old IS200 sport did NOT have a two tone wheel.

A sport should have the rear spoiler, rear privacy glass, chrome exhaust trim, alloy kick plates and alloy pedals. It should also say sport on the DVLA registration document.

Check the trunk. If there is a 17" sport rim spare tyre, it is most definetly a sport. Most people dont go that extra mile to make it a sport unless it's a sport. The soprt came with the 17" sport rim as a spare tyre...

Maybe different in your country but in the UK the SE and Sport have the same wheels so having a 17" spare doesn't mean it is a sport.

some people have a sport without lsd. mines a 99 v sport with 2tone steering wheel, sport in rear qrtrs, privacy glass, rear spoiler, chrome pedals etc... not sure about the lsd yet, haven't checked

Anees, your mate doesn't happen to work at ryvita does he?

apparently so, but I think pete jenkins' didn't and maybe one or two others

Yeah.....sure I read about that too. Wasn't Mat Crawley's car without LSD too? Thats why I asked.

strange... :hehe:

Anees, your mate doesn't happen to work at ryvita does he?

Sorry Jim...missed this before!

Nope! Has his own Mobile Phone shop in Leigh (near Wigan) so usually in Wigan or Manchester where he gets stock, He is currently off the road since someone drove into the back of him whilst he was stopped at traffice lights! :crying:

The other persons insurance company are being a pain apparently with providing a curtesy car and generally messing him about. :angry:

You may have seen the car. Black IS200, Lowered, standard grill at the front, gold badges on the back, spoiler, TRD sideskirts and TRD rear lip, cream interior and bling-bling 17" chrome wheels. Plate begings M*****R

Once the car is fixed I'll put some pics up.

You seen a similar car at Ryvita Jim? :D

I work next door to ryvita and there's a lad there with a w reg sport with chrome wheels. just thought it could of been him as you wouldn't think there would be that many w reg sports with chrome wheels in manc

Given him a LOC flyer yet? :P :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links