Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Help Required Please

DaveEllen

OK,

I organised a trip to scotland a while ago and 10 people signed up & paid deposits

Due to a series of catastrophes several dropped out.

The hotel (Crieff Hydro in Crieff ,Scotland) said I was personally liable for the full cost of the droupouts rooms as I had to give 6 months notice.........

So.........3 off the dropouts wrote to the hotel giving reasons why they couldnt make it (all were sensible) reasons being unable to drive due to whiplash,no car as in bits,young daughter in hospital. Hotel accepted the whiplash explanation but rejected the other 2...............I have written again asking for futher details as to why...

however two members have failed to reply to my PMs or emails.......

they are Rich200 from Aberdeen in Scotland and Ricky IS200 from Essex.......

If any of you know there addresses/phone numbers I'd be obliged if you could PM me the details...

The hotel are now threatening me with debt collectors etc for the £1150 the expect me to pay.

The lesson I've learnt is never to organise anything ever again as there are some ****s on here :angry:

I've no issues with those who have responded BTW

What really pisses me off is the the hotel would not refund one guy whose partner dodnt show for the food (included) she didnt eat or another memebr whose wifes mother suffered a sudden illness & breavement caused full cancellation....

What is really getting me would up is its proabable the debt collecters will call when my mum (73) is dog sitting next week while I have a long weekend.

Giving 6 months notice of cancellation would be deemed to be an unreasonable trading condition and a court would not support it.

Did you sign anything agreeing to these terms? - they sound pretty outrageous to me.

just a thought but does the hotel have an email addy as a huge glut of emails from the whole of LOC stating that they know of the problem and are disgusted about it and certainly will be telling friends and colleagues to avoid the hotel may make them change their minds

If we can attack eBay dodgyness and win we can beat this :D

Solidarity yanno :winky:

Giving 6 months notice of cancellation would be deemed to be an unreasonable trading condition and a court would not support it.

Did you sign anything agreeing to these terms? - they sound pretty outrageous to me.

as dave ellen........in the smallest possible print on the initial agreement........they have now revised the period of notice to 42 days which would have still been no use.

not sure if i'm bound by scottish law.............also they cant seize goods without a county court judgement.........just pead orf

as dave ellen........in the smallest possible print on the initial agreement........they have now revised the period of notice to 42 days which would have still been no use.

not sure if i'm bound by scottish law.............also they cant seize goods without a county court judgement.........just pead orf

just tell em to get stuffed dave and see what happens,i do feel sorry for ye mate.hope you get sorted.

Did you pay by credit card mate? Doesn't insurance cover this sort of thing?

Not really sure about scottish law, but in the UK you only have to give 24 hours notice to cancel hotels, I have stayed in a lot of hotels with my job and I have even cancelled a room in the morning and not had to pay diddly squat. The best example (sorry it doesn't help you but it might add to your complaint - I booked a night out last christmas as a work do for 4 lads in Manchester and 1 cancelled at 5pm when we were driving up there - I checked in and explained the problem and they said ok no issue no charge!!! BTW, it was The Sachas Hotel in Manchester - thumbs up!

Hope you get it sorted - it sounds pretty naff to me.

Dave

I work in the hotel booking industry

You need to get a copy of the hotels terms and conditions.. from there they should tell you how much notice is required. If they do not have terms then you are ok. They must stipulate terms otherwise they cant take anything.

Dave

You need to get a copy of the hotels terms and conditions.. from there they should tell you how much notice is required. If they do not have terms then you are ok. They must stipulate terms otherwise they cant take anything.

they say as is was a bulk booking I'm subject to different rules (6 months notice) but they then changed that..cunningly the new notice period was still outside the notice I gave !

Dave

they say as is was a bulk booking I'm subject to different rules (6 months notice) but they then changed that..cunningly the new notice period was still outside the notice I gave !

Dave, do you have the T&C's in writting? that is the key thing. Anything elese and it's your word against theirs if they take you to court. It would help emensly if they replied to you in intial booking in writting and did not also disclose the T&C's.

Regardless of any terms and conditions, signed or not, to enforce any condition it must be seen as "reasonable" by a court of law (at least in English law). 6 months to cancel a hotel booking is not only unreasonable - it's insane, it implies that the hotel is not capable of re-letting the room within six months, which is plain daft.

The hotel would need to demonstrate that they have lost money as I direct result of your actions.

How much notice did you actually give??

• 2 weeks later...

as dave Ellen.........my reply to the latest letter ..think it sums it up :sick:

Dave Ellen

SE28 8FY

Date 24th August 2005

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Mr Hermitson

Thank you for your letter of 17th August 2005.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response caused by my taking a weekend break in Venice.

From your letter it seems that you wish to continue harassing me and my wife with your unreasonable demands.

I’ve done everything in my power to help rectify the position to no avail. I have even managed to locate the names & addresses of the 2 people who have so far evaded me, you will find them at the foot of this letter. I suggest you contact them directly and seek redress from them directly.

To conclude you are refusing to cancel the monies you say are due for the Norkeps & Newsomes both of whom were forced to cancel through force majure. Both parties have given sensible and truthful reasons that seem to matter not.

I myself, when notified by the above mentioned and the two other people, tried hard to sell the spaces to other members of the Lexus Owners Club up to the eve of departure without success.

This was despite being constantly hounded by your erstwhile assistant Ms Hunter telling me I was liable as I’d had to give six months notice. Which subsequently changes to some other nonsensical period during the course of this correspondence.

What I find hard to grasp is how this notice period seems to change and also the fact that you argue that if I’d told you on the 19th of May that the Newsome’s were unable to attend you MAY have been able to rescind their charge. I tried my utmost to fill the places as mentioned above.

I’m now told by Mr Newsome that your letter to him,I must point out that I’ve seen a copy of this document, indicates that you would have cancelled his booking if I’d have told you on the day he told me of his circumstances, some two weeks before departure, this is at odds with the comments you make in your latest letter to me.

To coin a phrase you seem to want it all ways.

I have no intention whatsoever of paying the monies allegedly owed and am more than prepared to contest the matter through the courts. I will as a matter of course expect my expenses to be met in full when I undoubtedly triumph as its quite clear you do not know your arse from your elbow.

If you do intend to contest the matter please let me know and I will instruct my solicitor immediately. If you send any form of debt collection agency I will take action against you for harassment without any further ado.

As a self employed IT consultant I earn £500 plus VAT per day for my services this will, in addition to my legal teams expenses form part of my counter claim against you and your ramshackle organisationfor this unmerited harrasment.

As an aside the hotel I stayed in in Venice allowed cancellation up to 24 hours in advance with NO penalty, which my investigations tell me, is the industry standard. I also find it strange that the charges we paid for the rooms were NOT discounted in any way so why put us in the same grouping as conference bookings ?

Names & addresses of the 2 gentlemen who have failed to respond to my emails

Yours sincerely

Dave Ellen.

Great Letter Dave......you certainly don't hold back!

Didn't know you were in IT too Dave!......

What is it with Lexus and and people in IT..:lol:

Annees....I'm a hobbyist who fell into it......... :sick:

really just a stubborn git who will not give up.....

will say i'm rather good at sql though :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links

Lexus Owners Club Powered by Invision Community

eBay Disclosure: As the club is an eBay Partner, the club may earn commision if you make a purchase via the clubs eBay links.

DISCLAIMER: Lexusownersclub.co.uk is an independent Lexus forum for owners of Lexus vehicles. The club is not part of Lexus UK nor affiliated with or endorsed by Lexus UK in any way. The material contained in the forums is submitted by the general public and is NOT endorsed by Lexus Owners Club, ACI LTD, Lexus UK or Toyota Motor Corporation. The official Lexus website can be found at http://www.lexus.co.uk