Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not Funny Any More....

terdancam

5 Months should be enough to pretty much kill it.

What happens is the volatile elements in the fuel evaporates so it won't burn. Won't harm the engine it just won't run properly if at all.

Probably worse going from Winter to Spring/Summer. The make-up of petrol actually varies across the year. There's Winter, Summer and Intermediate mixes. The Winter one has more volatile elements so that it vapourises the same at the lower temperatures.

I'm not just a computer geek, I'm an oil refining geek too :geek: Boring anyone yet?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting topic, but not many people saying whether they are actually seriously considering the move away to the suzuki swift etc mode of transport.

we`ve considered train journeys when visiting relatives, but the cost of tickets actually makes driving cheaper, given that car ownership is a sunk cost anyway.

£100+ for a family of 4 to hull....!!! No chance Mr Brown.

AS for Mikes argument about the real cost of fuel, he is right, but they were temporary examples. and prices then went down. China is now consuming the equivalent of Iraqs total production per day! SO longer term i can`t see the prices coming down significantly. Also vast consumption gives economy of scale, but also massively increased corporate wealth and government revenue, but as with capitalism it is always the lower population earning percentile that bears the brunt of increased costs.( another topic on the gulf between rich and poor never being wider than it is now coming up..... :D )

Revenue streams for the government, as well as inherent profit for the oil producers/suppliers increase as a matter of course. However this does mean r&d/new fields increases in boom years.

However, the movement of prices down takes far too long given the speed of putting the prices up (same with interest base rates--very few banks have put their rates down!), and so the argument about it not being consumer driven is also correct.

This vastly complicated issue will not be answered by buying tesco fuel only---just think of the extra tax revenue the gov is earning at the moment; add this to not funding iraq occupation and we`d be reducing our national debt/ increasing funding etc by a vast amount. But that again is complicated.

But the real consideration, as the topic title suggests, is whether this is an expense we as lexus owners are no longer happy bearing. Is the cost of ownership of our beauties now too much if it means we can be spending money on other things?

Especially bearing in mind that related life costs have not gone up by similar amounts in such a short period of time (mortgages, council tax don`t count).

I love my car but is there now a psychological, let alone fiscal, swing back from the days of what i want to now, what i need?

chr*st i love the car

so you pay a few extra quid on petrol..so what!

everyone knew when they bought the lex how uneconomical they are

and anees 330d you think getting 40 odd miles to gallon, try 30 odd thats a bit more realistic

i also dont understand why people use optimax, its only additives in it, and you cant actually guarantee that you are getting an increase in RON.

Ive even given it some serious thought to about chopping the Lex in for something more practical. I work local and I don't venture to great distances outside a small proximity but Petrol prices are a joke.

Biggest dilema would be trying to hind behind the steering wheel of another shonker!

I cant bring myslef to part with the Lex so at the mo, im riding out the storm.

While the prices are the way they are, I'll just carry on using the fiesta, keep mine for the occassional use, will also give me a change of catching up on some of the mods I've got planed and extra cleaning.

I have driven a Prius for the day and it was amazing... 3 hours of driving and the fuel gauage never moved!

hybrid is the way to go

I seriously considered one - but from my research it seems they are only economical around town or sub 60mph...

the motorway runs they lose out - and unfortunatly thats the majority of my driving :(

And Mike - i see your point - but its not like were driving around in LS430's or M5's here - sure the IS isnt the most economical car, but come on, i think people have a right to complain about the current running costs...

i'm off to fill mine up now... i'll be back with the receipt and let you guys know how much it costs ,lol.

JUST FILLED UP:

£60 and not because the tank was full... but because i didn't have any more money on me! I think it could've guzzled another £5 with ease.. :'( have i got a bigger tank than everyone else? It certainly feels like that!!! :'(

When (if?!) we move, I am seriously considering getting rid of the GS and going for a hybrid like the Prius. Hubby is definitely getting shot of his car for an older Prius, so if I'm impressed, then I will wave bye-bye to the GS.

Not happy at the thought of it, far from it, but am being less able to justify the running costs when I have pre-school, childcare and mortgage bills up to my eyelids.

If you want to blame anyone for the continuing rise is the price of petrol, blame:

1) The incompetance of US government to manage it's own economy and the ongoing cluster f*** in Iraq which has caused the lack of confidence in the financial markets

2) The Chinese economy which continues to outperform all growth predictions and hence import as much refined product as they can buy on the petroleum markets

3) The failure of the oil majors to respond to the increased demand for refined products (it has been rumoured in order to maintain a high price and therefore their obscenely high profits)

OK the cost of fuel has rocketed in the last few weeks.

I have just worked out that I do a round trip of 60 miles every day and at 25 miles/gall or 5.5 miles/litre it is costs about 50p more per day to get to work than it did 2 months ago. So I am now spending a whole £2.50 more per week. Now I could go out and but a pint for that :D

Alternatively I could sell the Tezza and buy a 1.6 souless box on wheels that does 30 miles/gal and save a whole £1 a day in fuel, £5 a week :blink: wow nearly a packet of fags.

Yes you've guessed the Tezza stays :driving: :D

If you want to blame anyone for the continuing rise is the price of petrol, blame:

1) The incompetance of US government to manage it's own economy and the ongoing cluster f*** in Iraq which has caused the lack of confidence in the financial markets

2) The Chinese economy which continues to outperform all growth predictions and hence import as much refined product as they can buy on the petroleum markets

3) The failure of the oil majors to respond to the increased demand for refined products (it has been rumoured in order to maintain a high price and therefore their obscenely high profits)

can see where you are coming from mike its just the majority of the fuel price is tax thats whats the bother no problem with paying for the fuel its the fundraising that bothers me wouldn't moan as much if it was spent on keeping the road in good nick not these chipping pieces of :tsktsk: but real tarmac

Well public transport costs more; had to go to Birmingham for a meeting so thinks use the train. So turned up at the station bally return ticket from Portsmouth was £86. Recon I could have driven it for £45.

Went to the south of france 1 a year ago hired a renoult clio 1.7 diesel :sick: drove from Nice to monte carlo to san remo just into italy and back (oh and round the monaco circuit 8 times for fun) THE NEEDLE DID'NT MOVE..........so if you dont care obout looks and aesthetics buy one of these...but if like me, you like the looks and feel and drive of a Lexus stick with it.

Went to the south of france 1 a year ago hired a renoult clio 1.7 diesel :sick: drove from Nice to monte carlo to san remo just into italy and back (oh and round the monaco circuit 8 times for fun) THE NEEDLE DID'NT MOVE..........so if you dont care obout looks and aesthetics buy one of these...but if like me, you like the looks and feel and drive of a Lexus stick with it.

the gauge didn't move 'cos it's normal for things not to work on a renault :hehe:

queuing has started at the petrol stations around here, tesco's had about 1/2mile of queuing traffic, DON'T PANIC :ohmy:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links