Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Help...

Fidgits

Okay guys, I thought i'd post up a current quandry I have to see if you have any useful info.

In a nutshell, I love the 911, its a fantastic car, and so much fun barrelling down an A-road regardless of the weather, and pretty good at motorway cruising.

However, I don't actually use the car that much, as I don't like taking it to the gym/town/supermarket, so now ive got a second car, which while cheap, still costs me money. :blush: Which has made the 911 an expensive toy, which while fun, isnt really making the most of it. And then, with it not being used as much, there is the fear of an expensive bill around the corner for a car I'm not using.

Add to that I've suddenly started looking into investing to try and avoid having to work till i'm 70, and that much money tied up in a car doesnt start to make sense.

So as much as i'd like to get another 911, or an Aston, part of me is thinking I should really be looking at freeing up some capital when I buy my next car, rather than spending more, but I still want something reasonably fast and fun, but also light on the wallet to buy and run... not to mention reliable!

So, over to you guys, bearing in mind I'm used to 300bhp & 5 secs to 60, do you have any suggestions for good 4 seater (or 2+2 cars) which I could get for £10-£15k, that will have reasonable running costs?

A little caveat: No scoobies or evos, because i dont like the image and the running costs are worse than the 911 respectively

Are you talking about getting something more practical to replace the 911? Or just a nice second car to sit alongside the 911 with similar performance to use on normal runs?

If it was me, I'd probably go for an E39 M5, but think I might also consider the CLK55 :)

Are you talking about getting something more practical to replace the 911? Or just a nice second car to sit alongside the 911 with similar performance to use on normal runs?

If it was me, I'd probably go for an E39 M5, but think I might also consider the CLK55 :)

im wanting to replace the 911.

Ideally pull some of the capital out of the car for an investment, but then i'd need something without the risk of a big bill (so no 'M' or 'AMG' cars).

Fast and fun, but not too much, and not too flashy, so i can just have the one everyday car...

Hence my confusion...

im wanting to replace the 911.

Ideally pull some of the capital out of the car for an investment, but then i'd need something without the risk of a big bill (so no 'M' or 'AMG' cars).

Fast and fun, but not too much, and not too flashy, so i can just have the one everyday car...

Hence my confusion...

Have you considered the last generation Merc SL? IMO they're still one of the classiest looking cars around, the SL500s are pretty quick while also being supremely comfortable, and those earlier Mercs are bulletproof in terms of reliability.

At the other end of the scale, I think the RX-8 probably covers what you're looking for, although I know a few people who have them who say reliability isn't too great

Thanks for the replies so far guys, very helpful.

Dont fancy an import, but not a badge snob, oh, and the RX-8 has the same economy as my 911, so probably not the direction i was to go in..

Mercs interesting, but I have to say the S3 caught my attention. Do like the S4 also, but the V8 not much cheaper than the 911, so doesnt meet what i need.

Does anyone have any experience of the S3's?

Ian ian ian,, you want my IS300 now dont you, and what a deeeeeeal i would do you.. yeh its not a 5 second car, but is pretty sharpish, and if you really want to get it shiffting then strap on a s/c or t/c like those yanks do, then your be beating those 911's you once owned..

I used to have a VW Corrado VR6, not quite the speed spec you quoted but you can pick one up now for less than £5k then tune it with your spare change, I know for a fact you can s/c them.

there 2+2, not too flashy and quite rare so resale would be easy! trouble is front wheel drive, Do work very well in the snow.

plus you will have the active spoiler on the back, thats fun!

Great and reliable car!

Ian ian ian,, you want my IS300 now dont you, and what a deeeeeeal i would do you.. yeh its not a 5 second car, but is pretty sharpish, and if you really want to get it shiffting then strap on a s/c or t/c like those yanks do, then your be beating those 911's you once owned..

Paul, Paul, Paul, you know the day I buy an auto will be the day my left leg has dropped off!

Okay guys, I thought i'd post up a current quandry I have to see if you have any useful info.

In a nutshell, I love the 911, its a fantastic car, and so much fun barrelling down an A-road regardless of the weather, and pretty good at motorway cruising.

However, I don't actually use the car that much, as I don't like taking it to the gym/town/supermarket, so now ive got a second car, which while cheap, still costs me money. :blush: Which has made the 911 an expensive toy, which while fun, isnt really making the most of it. And then, with it not being used as much, there is the fear of an expensive bill around the corner for a car I'm not using.

Add to that I've suddenly started looking into investing to try and avoid having to work till i'm 70, and that much money tied up in a car doesnt start to make sense.

So as much as i'd like to get another 911, or an Aston, part of me is thinking I should really be looking at freeing up some capital when I buy my next car, rather than spending more, but I still want something reasonably fast and fun, but also light on the wallet to buy and run... not to mention reliable!

So, over to you guys, bearing in mind I'm used to 300bhp & 5 secs to 60, do you have any suggestions for good 4 seater (or 2+2 cars) which I could get for £10-£15k, that will have reasonable running costs?

A little caveat: No scoobies or evos, because i dont like the image and the running costs are worse than the 911 respectively

in a nut shell

MINE :winky:

Paul, Paul, Paul, you know the day I buy an auto will be the day my left leg has dropped off!

lol use the buttons on the steering wheel then... :P

Ian shame on you...far too young to worry bout all that retirement stuff :)

I was going to say the Vertex Aristo......I know im tempted by them.....but it’s an import, and prob a lil bigger than you were thinking.

Your porka, although tying up cash has the big advantage of not depreciating as much so in that sense aren’t you saving a little?

What about a mini then :)

Thanks guys, some good things to think about...

Though im not keen on imports or autos, so no aristo's..

And Bob, yeah, that was the plan with the 911, as for retirment, i decided i didnt want to work till i was 70... so putting some plans in place to try and get out at 50 and spend the rest of the time on the beach ;)

Hi,

A 911 is the car you want,heard its the best everyday super car you can buy :shifty:

Id buy a M5 the 400 Bhp V8 Version ;)

I'd say it is...

But as I said in the first post, I have a lot of equity tied up in it, and i'm looking for something cheaper to run, so the M5 is out because thats as, if not more, expensive...

I dont know.. a couple of good ideas.. i'll wait and see how I feel.

Go the classic route, then you can have your cake and eat it

with the cash your wanting to pocket from the 911 and still have something with some performance and street credibility get an older Lotus or a Cosworth

Both of these if you get a good one will never depreciate unless you blow it up or smash it into a wall

A friend has a Lotus Esprit (an early one) and we have a cosworth and both are worth more now that when we bought them, and I reckon they are going up in value more a year than the pittyfull interest rates you can get these days, so you will win again

And if it is street cred your after (911 driver poseur alert) I bet if you turn up in one of those you will get more admiring glances than ever before in your 911

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links