Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need To Get Out Of....

evoelf

I love my drive to and from the office as it gives me time to ponder the days issues. If i'm in a bad mood i can listen to my tunes as loud as i want. Anyhoo...

Recently I've had this guy in the office (not a friend, purely acquainted through work) latch onto me for a free lift to the office one or two days almost every week.

I didn't mind the first couple of times as i was doing him a favour but now its beginning to annoy me, as he seems to think when he needs a ride he can just come and see me.... and the thanks i get...he pays for the dartford toll at a wopping £2. I mean i dont expect petrol money but it would be a nice gesture on his part.

I've managed to get out of giving him a lift in the evening by telling him i'm working late, but the mornings are still an issue. If i tell him i'm leaving early then he'll tell me he'll meet me earlier and i'm too polite to say "I dont want to give you a lift" as it may cause tension in the office.

Has anyone got any good ideas of how i can blow him out permenantly?

how i can blow him out

Oh dear a bad choice of words ;)

I think you are going to have to say something to him, only if you make excuses then they tend to only last for a day or two. Unless you can find a fit bird and say you are going to giver her a left etc. As he is not paying you then you can't use insurance as an excuse.

How does the guy normally get to and from work? I hate those types of freeloaders..........I'm guessing he lives somewhere near you which is why it's so hard to get rid of?

You've gotta just tell him as already said - the fact that you've even posted on here shows the extra stress the guy is causing you, which is just not on at all.

The other alternative is an elaborate excuse of somewhere you have to go every morning and every evening before and after work that means you can't give him a lift :)

I've had this before with people scavenging lifts home and it's like you say you don't mind for the first few times then it just starts to extract the urine. I used the excuse that I wasn't going directly home and that I was going to my friends' house/pub/shops etc. instead - they got the message after a few times. I would say something like that whilst you don't mind giving him the odd lift when it's convenient, you're have a lot on and sometimes have to go places before work and set out at wierd times, you have to give the missus a lift, you've cleaned the car seats and they're damp, you've started going a different way to miss traffic and so on. He'll probably get the message after a couple of weeks of excuses.

Flirt with him :lol: , nah just kidding mate, doing that will only spread rumours/unwanted attention round your office.

Just tell like it is, tell him he's taking the P.I.5.5, you can't be expected to give him a lift everyday. After all, your not a cabbie are you? Alternativly, give him the number of a local taxi firm- he should get the msg with that...

How about a severe bout of flatulence on your part the next time you give him a lift in. :sick:

You can also tell him your not insured for hire or reward so he is going to have to stump up £1100 for the excess on this years insurance.

Or, honesty is the best policy. Be up front, let him know exactly where he stands and if all else fails, throw him off the QE2 bridge.

eat loads of garlic and onion, then always have the heat as high as possible,

honest approach: i think i'd say, driving alone gives me time to think... something i cant do with passengers.

the way i see it your pretty much f*cked unless he goes off you for some reason. its an ugly situation to be in.

Has he got a fit partner/wife/girlfriend? start talking to him about her and how nice she is and drop a few hints that you wouldnt mind getting to know her better, he'll soon leave you alone if you show too much interest in her or tell him you cant give him a lift as you have to pop round to his after he's gone to work?? :lol: :D

when he asks you for a lift just say "sorry mate can't" don't say anything else or go making up reasons, continue about your business and don't feel you have to make conversation, if he was a friend you'd owe him an excuse ....

if he's a bit thick and doesn't cop it first time just keep saying the same thing... don't elaborate, he'll eventually get the message...

sometimes you gotta stand your ground and put yourself first...

Tell him youve started smoking and the law prevents you from smoking in a public confined area - a work colleague is putting currently putting you under a lot of stress and you therefore feel the need to start smoking in your car to and from work in order to calm you down.

Fit into the conversation how much fuel has rocketed recently and you cant go out this weekend because your car tax and insurance (oh look these have gone up too) are both due this month - and last months mot was a tad expensive due to the new exhaust and they also identified that your tyres are close to the limit and will need replacing within the next 500 miles - although they could do you a good deal at £105 each.

Luckily your next service is an intemediate likely to cost you only £350 but your next one is gonna be the biggie (cambelt change)

Finally, ask him if he's got internet at home and if he's ever looked at the Network Rail site and just how cheap you can get a Saver Day Return for if you book it early enough - given the cost of running your car you have considered it yourself - With all these stealth taxes is it really worth driving a car? Of course it is - because you dont have to sit next to that annoying person on the bus or train - you are in your own protected environment where you can listen to your music as loud as you want and do whatever you want (within reason of course ;o)) as there is no-one there inside your pride and joy.

Then see what he does....

easy drive like a nutter scare the living :tsktsk: out of him put him in sme near death situations and he will be so scared by your driving that he wilnever want to get back in a car with you again....job done.

easy drive like a nutter scare the living :tsktsk: out of him put him in sme near death situations and he will be so scared by your driving that he wilnever want to get back in a car with you again....job done.

This one works!!

I've got a mate that no-one will get in the car with. He used to be alright then just got a bit crazy.

Is there no-one else that could say something? Drop a few hints to him?

Other than that, tell him its your only time alone. The only time you get to ponder things, etc. Everyone needs "me" time.

On a serious note.....save yourself time, embarressment and loads of hassle....just go up to the guy and say "Sorry I wont be giving you lifts to and from work anymore and walk away"

Takes 5 seconds, everyone knows where they stand and will all be forgot about in 10 minutes. He may even respect you more for being honest than trying to gradually put him off by doing silly things like driving like a looney (dangerous for both of you and any other vehicles/people) or coming out with hints...in the end it will all get very awkward anyway...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links