Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Money Grabbing B******s

"The Government has admitted that it intends to include cars built before March 2001 in the new road tax regulations due to come into force next April.

The new tax rules are being introduced in stages, and will see cars that produce more than 225g/km being charged £300 next year and up to £445 in 2010, compared with the current rate of £210.

Regulations currently state that cars produced before March 2001 will be exempt from the highest Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) bands, but the government’s rethink means that these older cars could be subject to as much as £245 more tax per year.

The new tax rates were announced in this year’s budget, which you can read more about by clicking here.

A new showroom tax was also announced in the 2008 budget, which will see car buyers paying up to £950 for the privilege of buying new."

Lifted striaght from autocar.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/232518/

Ok now i'm getting really P****d off about this. How can they penalise cars that were made before this CO2 frenzy started. I thought i was safe from all this tax milarky having an X reg, but it seems not to be the case now!

Guest inicol63

I for one am glad that it is across the board.

Before anyone bite's my head off, i have reason's for my comments.

My reason's is should one IS200 drive pay and another IS200 drive not?

And while will all pay then we all can challage the goverment to stop hitting the motorist with so many taxes as one unit which is better than being divide into group's.

After all they are making so much money out of the cost of fuel duty's, every time the price of crude goes up.

Remember that the goverment not the petrol company's is adding a further 2p a litre later in the year.

Anyway anyone got any good news........

"The Government has admitted that it intends to include cars built before March 2001 in the new road tax regulations due to come into force next April.

The new tax rules are being introduced in stages, and will see cars that produce more than 225g/km being charged £300 next year and up to £445 in 2010, compared with the current rate of £210.

Regulations currently state that cars produced before March 2001 will be exempt from the highest Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) bands, but the government’s rethink means that these older cars could be subject to as much as £245 more tax per year.

The new tax rates were announced in this year’s budget, which you can read more about by clicking here.

A new showroom tax was also announced in the 2008 budget, which will see car buyers paying up to £950 for the privilege of buying new."

Lifted striaght from autocar.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/232518/

Ok now i'm getting really P****d off about this. How can they penalise cars that were made before this CO2 frenzy started. I thought i was safe from all this tax milarky having an X reg, but it seems not to be the case now!

It's a real nightmare isn't it! You pay good money to drive a decent car and get sh****d! I am not against trying to achieve a greener planet, but I think this is definitely just a goverment excuse to clobber us for more and more money (mainly to pay for futile wars). We are taxed on our salary, then taxed again when we buy anything, taxed again if we try and save, taxed again on fuel, taxed on air fares, taxed with death duties, taxed on buying a house over a certain amount; we are just taxed to death - literally!

We are one of the most expensive countries to live in now and it is all incredibly unfair (and uneccessary, we are still a rich country without being taxed to death).

I happen to be a widow and receive a small pension from my late husband's company, so, because of this I now have to pay the higer rate of tax on every single penny I earn, and also on the pension, because the pension is decreed 'unearned income' - I wouldn't mind so much, but it is a paltry £400 a month - I am hardly in the millionnaire bracket!

Right, rant over, sorry folks!

well if thats the case i wont be keeping the car i think and my guess is it will reduduce the value of higher co2 output cars.

what r we ment to drive 1.4's i spose we could all go TDi but as far as im concerned they arnt much cleaner with black smoke coming out the exhaust when u push it

if the government were REALLY interested in reducing emissions from cars, they WOULD tax you based on your usage. i.e. a ford focus driven for journeys of 1 or 2 miles in town would possibly be taxed MORE than say a BMW 5 series driven mostly on long motorway journeys

Yeah thought about this too. The only thing i can think of they will tax cars that they do have data on..........ie an X reg IS200 is the same as a Y reg. But they won't be able to tax cars extra that werent build after March 2001 so they will still work on the above or below 1.5ltr bands.

Again just my thoughts

I happen to be a widow and receive a small pension from my late husband's company, so, because of this I now have to pay the higer rate of tax on every single penny I earn, and also on the pension, because the pension is decreed 'unearned income' - I wouldn't mind so much, but it is a paltry £400 a month - I am hardly in the millionnaire bracket!

Something is wrong here - you don't have to 'earn' income and you don't have to pay higher-rate tax on 'unearned' income. Everyone has an personal allowance and they will pay no tax on any income up to this amount. Ballpark figures are £5300 tax-free, 20% tax on income between that and £36500, and higher-rate (40%) on earnings over that amount.

I can't see why you'd have to pay 40% tax on everything your earn? Are you employed at the moment, and if so what is your tax code on the payslips? Have you spoken to an accountant? I would think very seriously about this, a morning with an accountant looking over your statements etc could save you hundreds if not thousands, as it sounds like your tax status is a complete balls-up at the moment. You may even be able to claim back tax from HMRC...

were all being screw'd over to save the 'world'. sometimes i think we'd be better off if the planet blew up!

Since the scientists are switching on the Large Hadron Collider at CERN today, that possibility is a lot more likely than it was in the past!!

some good news.

i got a 1996 gs300, and ill pay less road tax than a is200 :)

if ive read it right

A. must give myself 1 hour grace before posting due to having only just woke up! :( or drink loads of coffee

B. told my dad, he laughed and said they can higher it ip to as much as they want cos HE dont pay car tax :(

bloody invalidity :) (spelling)

god i hate this country

when was the last time you saw gordon brown or red ken step out of a hybrid or even a cycle.

interesting question... can either actually ride a cycle?

Something is wrong here - you don't have to 'earn' income and you don't have to pay higher-rate tax on 'unearned' income. Everyone has an personal allowance and they will pay no tax on any income up to this amount. Ballpark figures are £5300 tax-free, 20% tax on income between that and £36500, and higher-rate (40%) on earnings over that amount.

I can't see why you'd have to pay 40% tax on everything your earn? Are you employed at the moment, and if so what is your tax code on the payslips? Have you spoken to an accountant? I would think very seriously about this, a morning with an accountant looking over your statements etc could save you hundreds if not thousands, as it sounds like your tax status is a complete balls-up at the moment. You may even be able to claim back tax from HMRC...

Everyone's tax code is different but you are right as it depends on what you have paid in the previous financial year but the standard code is 543L. The initial sum you can earn before being taxed for a person aged up to 64 is £5435 as of April 5 2008. 65-74 is £9030 with a earning limit of £21800. 75 + is £9180 with an earning limit of £21800 also.

Anyone who isnt sure what the earning limit is for people 65 and over. This is a limit for what you can earn, if you earn over this then they will take £1 for every £2 that you are over and deduct it from your tax allowance.

Sorry for going off topic :offtopic:

The best things in life are free

But you can give them to the birds and bees

I want money

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

You love gives me such a thrill

But your love won't pay my bills

I want money

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

Money don't get everything it's true

But what it don't get I can't use

I want money

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

That's what I want

(That's what I want)

I want money

I want lots of money

In fact I want so much money

Give me your money

Just give me money

Music by the Flying Lizards... Lyrics by Gordon Brown :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links