Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

30 Pound Fine

Ads

Got pulled today for incorrect spacing on my plates. Captain Jobsworth in his BMW X5 told me that the computerised plate reading system that the five-0 use cannot make sense of L3X SA, however it can make sense of L3 XSA. what a load of horse$hit - so he made out he was actually doing me a favour because if my lex got stolen they wouldnt be able to track it if the plate was 'wrong' . I didnt argue with him as I couldnt be bothered.

Just 50 quid down the drain

At the risk of seeming harsh, the law says you can't change the spacing on your number plate. So if you change the spacing and get pulled for it, is it a suprise ?

There are also laws on hids in non specific lighting housings which can fail the mot. therefore anybody with hids is suseptible to a fine..

so when you get pulled and fined for HIDS will you be surprised or post a just got done for my hids post?

yes it was harsh.

i think the point is that its just another minor thing that you can get ripped off for. As Bazza said The ANPR can read the plates with incorrect spacing just not the fancy non reg lettering

There are also laws on hids in non specific lighting housings which can fail the mot. therefore anybody with hids is suseptible to a fine..

so when you get pulled and fined for HIDS will you be surprised or post a just got done for my hids post?

Erm, I wasn't trying to get into an argument, but whether or not there is an issue with HIDs (and I don't think that's the same thing at all, I think you may be confusing the factory fitting of OEM HIDs with what gets tested at MoT time) it's not something that stands out as glaringly obvious to any passing policeman.

The spacing on your number plates is clearly obvious for anyone to see. Changing it is illegal. Why change something that practically shouts out "please stop me and give me a fine" ? You're giving the police a perfect excuse to pull you over if they feel inclined to (and perhaps check other things on your car at the same time ?).

I agree that perhaps the law on this is perhaps a bit silly, but it is the law after all.

see loads of plates like this but i must say if you are a young driver there seems to be more chance of getting pulled over.

imo its just an easy way of them getting more money in the piggy bank, i know the law is the law but he could of give you

a warning :)

I'm just glad he had no real criminals to go after at the time. Maybe I'll sleep with my car unlocked tonight because England is finally clear of crims.

Although stupid as it is that he had nothing better to do, the rules say you can't change your numberplate. If you choose to ignore the rules you have to accept whatever consequences the governments bank manager deems is necessary at the time. I know it's ridiculous, but that's life.

imo its just an easy way of them getting more money in the piggy bank, i know the law is the law but he could of give you

It's a revenue raiser.DVLA sell plates that can be personalised but have the gall to say it is illegal to alter spacings etc.

Only trouble with warnings, from the Police point of view, is that unless they get recorded as official warnings there is no way of telling how many times someone has been stopped and warned and over what period of time until the same officer is involved again.

See your point, but the only problem with warnings is would people actually take any notice of them? You have to hit people where it hurts - in their wallet.

A better suggestion than an on the spot fine would be something like you can have the option of going away, buying new legal plates and then presenting your car to the Police station within x number of days - if the correct action has been taken, then no more action is taken but the 'offence' is logged and if you're caught again having put your illegal plates back on, then get hit with a whopping fine.

But, although something like this would make more sense, would the practicalities of it work?

It's a revenue raiser.DVLA sell plates that can be personalised but have the gall to say it is illegal to alter spacings etc.

Only trouble with warnings, from the Police point of view, is that unless they get recorded as official warnings there is no way of telling how many times someone has been stopped and warned and over what period of time until the same officer is involved again.

know what your saying dave :) but if the plate is illegal then why dont they follow it through instead of handing out on the spot fines

That does sound like a pain, it is annoying and definitely just a revenue earner (for those that haven't actually distorted the plate with screws and stuff)

It's weird as in London people get away with the most ridiculous plates, I'd happily do it here, but would also have to make sure I had an extra set of legal plates for any motorway trips to other parts of the country as it's clear they're waiting for them

That does sound like a pain, it is annoying and definitely just a revenue earner (for those that haven't actually distorted the plate with screws and stuff)

It's weird as in London people get away with the most ridiculous plates, I'd happily do it here, but would also have to make sure I had an extra set of legal plates for any motorway trips to other parts of the country as it's clear they're waiting for them

normally its the traffic police who stop and issue

the local plod dont see it as their problem or even know whats right or wrong

I got stopped recently and he told me he "thought" the spacing was illegal, but then said he "knew" they were illegal because they didnt have the gb/euro sign on them !

I informed him he had it wrong , so he just sent me on my way

i think there is a distinct difference between altering digits to represent something else, and agree they should be fined and have their homes taken away, but a little 5mm extra spacing doesnt harm anyone

I had aftermarket HIDs and i diconnected them for the MOT and that night the police stop me for a dipped bulb that was faulty and he pointed at the ballasts asking what they were for? and i told him it was ballasts for HIDs but since i changed my bumper and no longer had the washers they were disconnected and he said that none of the police followed up on this fault and to connect them if i wanted. No problem......told me to get all lights fixed either way xxxxx :P :P :P

Yeh, this was the discussion I had with my missus. It annoys me that the DVLA bang on about them saying you can 'personalise' your car etc but then have all these petty rules. Anyway its a lesson learnt - It was a £30 fine and 17 quid for new plates.

PC Jobsworth took pics of the front and rear of the car and then delighted in telling me that if I 'offended' again the plates would be taken off me as the DVLA actually still own them - they are just kind enough to rent them to me.

I do agree with Stevie and all the other peeps on here that say I should have expected it. I know its wrong, its just bloody petty. I didnt have any fancy type face, black screw cap or anti reflection stuff, standard black type with just one character slightly shifted. Just petty.

Anyway like I say its a lesson learnt - I hope this post might save another member 50 quid in the future

Ad

Going back to the retrofit HIDs I fitted an aftermarket kit to my LS and my car is always VOSA tested at the local garage so I know the guy.

Before it went for the test I asked him if it would pass with the HIDs or should I refit the old bulbs and he said no problem as long as they are adjusted correctly and if they did need adjusting he wouldn't charge me.

I knew they were high as I could see for miles and got flashed regularly but he set them up at no charge and they passed the test.

Never been pulled in the car even though it looks pimped with the chrome wheels and LEDs but there again I'm older and going grey.

I'll keep £30.00 to one side just in case

i dont seem to be get any police attention with my L3 XSC and my front plate is half the size it should be... touch wood

I think that should be fine though. You've got a bigger space between the 3 and the X than the other letters (so the spacing is ok), and there's no rule as far as I know about how long a number plate must be, it's fine to shorten it if you want, as long as you're using the correctly-sized lettering/font.

See, by issuing the one fine the OP has posted his experience and it has raised the issue on this forum. Meaning by that one action, it has resulted in debate and raising awareness of the issue of inappropriate/illegal plates.

Makes us all stop, think and double check our own plates.

The law on number plates is clear and strict; pretty easy to enforce and is a very easy 'gimme' to the Police. With automation taking over, there will be a greater emphasis on plate compliance - this will not go away people. Fines will get tougher and DVLA will act on persistent offenders. The fact we have gotten away with it in the past has little to do with things as they are now.

Save the hassle, save the aggro' - above all save your money!

i dont seem to be get any police attention with my L3 XSC and my front plate is half the size it should be... touch wood

I think that should be fine though. You've got a bigger space between the 3 and the X than the other letters (so the spacing is ok), and there's no rule as far as I know about how long a number plate must be, it's fine to shorten it if you want, as long as you're using the correctly-sized lettering/font.

The spacing is fine, but the lexus logo and the border round the plate are illegal.

The only logo you can have is the GB/Euro and you cant have a border, and you must have the plate suppliers name and no. on it.

I got fined for the same thing, my lettering was standard, but had moved the X over on my L3X plate, i also had the logo and border like Tom has.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links