Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

guys, in the process of buying an approved used 2011 model,

the thing is that the interior has a few problems: small punctures in the leather for the glove compartment, signs of dirt around seat belts and front seats,

I was promised that all this will be well changed/cleaned to as good as almost new standard before me driving away,

now this is an approved Lexus dealer,

should i trust them to do it, or can it all be pimp up talk to sell the car?

the reason I am asking is they want me to pay the deposit beforehand so that they can start off with their prepping, at least that is their argument.

should i trust them and pay in advance or should i just put my foot down and pay when all is sorted the way i want

has anyone been through a similar situation, any cons that i should expect ?

this is an approved Lexus dealer at the end of the day...

thank you all in advance

get them to write down the work that will be performed on the receipt so you have comeback if they aren't carried out. I wouldn't worry about the dirt, that will be cleaned but get confirmation that the damaged trim will be replace and not repaired.

• Like 1

as above get it on the order form

and yes it can all be sorted but depends on how they repair it if it lasts, some garages may replace damaged trim, others may repair

and cleaning is only as good as the valet, check the cars, best places to look, inside door pockets, under seats, lift seats if possible, under the boot carpet, if theres dirt in these , the valet aint up to scratch,

only pay a deposit £500 tops

and if its not up to standard you expect when you go to collect the car, tell them to sort it out and you will be back in 4 hours and expect the tank to be filled, dont threaten, or shout, just tell them you expected so much more from a lexus dealer

any good garage, and lexus especially should be able to get the car upto a standard you expect without too many problems

• Like 1

as above get it on the order form

and yes it can all be sorted but depends on how they repair it if it lasts, some garages may replace damaged trim, others may repair

and cleaning is only as good as the valet, check the cars, best places to look, inside door pockets, under seats, lift seats if possible, under the boot carpet, if theres dirt in these , the valet aint up to scratch,

only pay a deposit £500 tops

and if its not up to standard you expect when you go to collect the car, tell them to sort it out and you will be back in 4 hours and expect the tank to be filled, dont threaten, or shout, just tell them you expected so much more from a lexus dealer

any good garage, and lexus especially should be able to get the car upto a standard you expect without too many problems

thanks for the advice,

one last thing, when i first saw the car the Battery was dead, they jump started it and since then it was ok, is the one year warranty provided by lexus dealer include the Battery? or is it only 3 months(as per the agent?)just foreseeing trouble with the Battery and don t want to get stuck with it...

Is there something about this car that makes it a good buy?

If it's a 2011 car then I'm guessing it's going to be a good few bobs worth so, speaking personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car that is soiled and dirty, has a damaged interior and wouldn't start when you went to look at it.... unless it's a very good price!

I decided I wanted a RX400h in October last year to replace my ageing Beemer and went to look at a few. I had the cash ready to go but I resisted the temptation to rush into a purchase and bided my time until the right one came up.

I went to look at one in a Lexus dealers but was disappointed at how dirty and scruffy it was. It had been 'keyed' down the side and had numerous other scratches and scrapes.

My patience paid off in the end and about a month ago I found a absolute minter. It's a low mileage, pristine condition, one family owned, full Lexus history, 2008 SE-l (private sale) and has just been serviced (Dec) and everything works perfectly. I've done about 500 miles in it now and it's an absolute peach !! I also managed to haggle the price down to about £3k less than I would have paid for a Lexus approved dealer supplied car

Good ones are out there if you take your time and have patience.

I know not everyone would risk buying private but I think the same applies to dealer cars as well - why buy one that needs to be 'duffed up' to make it look presentable?

Just my two pennies worth anyways...

Good luck

• Like 1

well i totally agree,

I am hunting for the right car for the last three months, until i found this one with the extras that i am looking for, the only worry is the scruffiness on the inside, but the drive is as cool as you could get, i feel i am getting a good deal out of it, but wonder whether i am sucked into it all, that s why i am seeking other people's opinion about how to deal with the approved lexus guys...

thanks for the advice

ok just to cover a few points

30 day no quibble,

they may offer it but actually getting your money back is extremly difficult and they may also reduce the amount for any miles done

flat Battery

this is extremly common on a forecourt, and 99 time out of 100 isnt an issue, it can affect ECU systems on cars and could shorten the overall life of the Battery, but i wouldnt worry about it

warranty

most warranties have exclusions including ALL service items which would include the Battery, brakes, exhaust etc, some even exclude 4x4 systems, if its a lexus dealer warranty, you should feel secure that everything of value is covered

but the sales of goods act means the car should be suitable for what it is designed to do, and a 2-3 year old RX i would expect the Battery to last at least a year so it would be covered for a year, but a £400 banger youd be lucky to get 2 days Battery cover, let alone anything else

used car sales are a nightmare when things go wrong and it all depends on the garage and customer attitude how things progress,

best advice i can give any buyer/customer of a garage, keep friendly happy good terms, and they will look after you as they see you more as a friendly nice person than just another customer

finally, you are more secure buying from a main stream dealer as they have more to lose and have to maintain manufacturer standards on both new and used, they get paid for maintaining higher standards from the manufacturer

• Like 1

I did similar-paid up front deposit without seeing the car from main Lexus dealer 150 miles away but with the promise it would be refundable if not as described.

Well I am generally pleased with the outcome and they sent me an online video beforehand of the car to help make up my mind.

Yes you can get a good deal privately if you have the 'readies' available and having spoken to the previous owner of my car, Lexus put 50% on top of the price they gave him in cash as he was retiring and didn't want a p/ex.

However a decent p/ex for my old car and a 12 months approved warranty made the decision to buy easier.

There are many cars out there with Lexus and from my experience there can be a marked difference between each franchise as to what you get for your money.If not happy-walk away or at least insist on a refundable deposit if the work agreed is not to standard.

Just my thoughts.

Take your time on the purchase, I know its easier said than done when you have the "buying" bug, but it will pay dividends.

I bought mine back in 2006 as a approved used from Lexus Oxford..........buying was great but after sales forget it! Oxford was a long distnace from Essex but it was the spec I wanted and came LAU or so I thought........they said they would refurbish the wheels as they had the usual Luxus alloy decay and replace the blown "drive indicator" bulb in the dash, picked the car up and it looked great, signed all the paperwork including what looked like a Lexus Approved warranty form.

A few days later I noticed a few drips of oil on the drive (it had been serviced before pick up), I took it to my local Lexus dealer at Southend (sadly closed now) and they did an inspection and found the oil filter was loose, it was low on oil, had a leaking rear shock absorber (quite badly, and was given a new MoT by Oxford before I picked it up!! ) also the instrument cluster "plexiglass" had a scratch where they had replaced the bulb which I had not noticed on pick up and they pointed out the "refurbished wheels", had been painted, but upon removal of the wheels so had the brakes and suspension as they had not even taken the wheels off.

I talked to Oxford and was told as it wasn't an Lexus approved used and was "only" covered by thier own insurance warranty which was a surprise to me there was no 30 day exchange policy but they would pay for the Local dealer to replace the shock absorber and fix the loose oil filter (which Lexus Southend had done as a matter of course during the inspection and topped up the oil for free).

I considered taking it further but other than those faults it was and still has been a lovely car, reliable too. Lexus main dealers are fine if you can find a good one and I would insist that you ask for everything they say they are going to do in writing and signed by the salesman, if they refuse and say its not thier policy, run a mile.

Main dealers are there to sell cars and make money servicing them, not for our pleasure........be carfeul and keep the peepers open.

I see you are in Yorkshire. If the car is at Lexus Bradford, I would either speak to Jason Gregory or just walk away because the manager and other sales staff are awful and WILL NOT sort anything out. Leeds is another story, they are very very good!

• Like 1

Unfortunately the level of service you get does vary greatly from one dealership to another. I am always happy to recommend Lexus Hedge End / Southampton.

One thing for sure: they would never have a dirty / scruffy car in their showroom. The fact that a Lexus dealer lets you view a car in such condition and the fact that they had not even bothered to check it started before showing it does not say much for their standards.

• Like 2

Makes me smile, an approved car from a Lexus dealer who knew you were coming to view the car and then had to jump start it!

I'd have walked at that point without the addition of a scruffy presentation.

I drove for four hours to lexus derby to look at an RX400 which they promised me would be kept undercover for the night for me to view only to arrive there with it covered in snow on forecourt and couldn't even open the doors, Battery flat, fuel flap bent and full of scratch's ,paint work repairs all over and all for £21,995 not happy, this after explaining to them that I had previously driven for five hours up to lexus Leeds to look at an is200 a few years back I only to be there 10 minutes and come home as woefull. I was told by lexus uk that dealers do nothing to the cars on forecourt until sold but be prepared to be disappointed . Lexus hatfield done me a good deal in the end after going to look at a different RX they had that wasn't up to scratch and then bent over backwards to help me as I was walking away.

I would argue with what Lexus UK told you. All cars at Southampton are valetted before they are put on display. Admittedly, they are in a maybe unique position in the sense that all their cars are kept indoors in a warm and spotless showroom. It makes it very easy to spot any dent or scratch!

Well I am amazed Lexus UK answered you at all...........they totally ignored my plees for help and told me they had no control over the dealers as they were franchised and not owned by Lexus UK themselves (which I already knew of course, but at least expected some kind of help).

That's what I was told after a few phone calls as I was disgusted with the service I received. I did get the manager of lexus derby phone me up a few days after I complained to lexus uk offering to personally find me a car which I declined and was asked whether I would buy a car from them which I replied NO. I have looked at cars at my local lexus dealer and these were also not great, what gets me is that they insist on you putting down a deposit over the phone on something you haven't seen which I didn't want to do but eventually did at lexus hatfield only to go all way there and bought a different one instead as the one I looked at was very poor again. Refundable deposit but still never buy anything without looking first.

I see you are in Yorkshire. If the car is at Lexus Bradford, I would either speak to Jason Gregory or just walk away because the manager and other sales staff are awful and WILL NOT sort anything out. Leeds is another story, they are very very good!

what about the Sheffield dealer? how good are they?I must say without mentioning names I felt that I am being pushed out of the deal....getting differnet vibes I must say

Not sure about Sheffield as live in suffolk, but I have found issues with Derby, Leeds my local dealers in Norwich I've had probs with servicing up to where they paid for myself and wife to spend day at top hotel as a peace offering, ipswich were good and so were Hatfield after I wasn't happy with the car I looked at. They offered me a newer RX instead with less miles, boot liner, bumper protector , accessories and delivered it to suffolk with full tank fuel so was well pleased in the end. Staff change and so does the service I'm afraid .

Right guys,so

everyone is pushing me to walk away,

if the dealer is not keen to be rpesentable, and is not doing what I want them to do, then why bother??

I ll tell you why:

it s a 2011, SE I, 30000 miles, sunroof, ICE pack, front and rear under the spoiler metallic supports and with a traction hinge : just what I am looking for, except for a very worn out interior

so before I go any further give me an estimate everyone,

just that I can see If I am seeing this a good bargain or am i just falling for the buy with blind eyes,

I promise I will tell you the final price and negotiations in detail in the follow...

Interior worn at that miles is a bit concerning, mine has now done 43k on a 06 and is like new inside still.. If you really want it I would put small deposit down and agree to pay what you happy with when everything is done to your satisfaction , if not happy when you collect don't pay remainder and ask for deposit back.

Right guys,so

everyone is pushing me to walk away,

if the dealer is not keen to be rpesentable, and is not doing what I want them to do, then why bother??

I ll tell you why:

it s a 2011, SE I, 30000 miles, sunroof, ICE pack, front and rear under the spoiler metallic supports and with a traction hinge : just what I am looking for, except for a very worn out interior

so before I go any further give me an estimate everyone,

just that I can see If I am seeing this a good bargain or am i just falling for the buy with blind eyes,

I promise I will tell you the final price and negotiations in detail in the follow...

Sheffield is pretty good TBH. I happened to view a car there and they were all friendly. However, I would say give them a deposit, get the work done before delivery or collection - if the work isnt up to scratch, give the car back, they cant say anything.

You could always get a professional detailer for £200-500 to work their magic on the whole car after

front and rear under the spoiler metallic supports and with a traction hinge

Que? :unsure: - what the heck is a traction hinge? And why so excited by 'under spoiler supports'? Not highest on my list of priorities, that's for sure... :shifty:

Personally, I wouldn't buy from a dealer because I can't afford to :shifty: but I imagine you must be looking at £30k+ for a 2011 RX, no?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links