Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Alternatives

TheDon

Well i am getting very jelous of all you guys with the standard fit sat nav, and was wondering what other alternatives i have seeing as my car didnt come with it. will lexus fit me one in? or do i have to go aftermarket? if so what experience have you guys had with other systems. as its a lot of money to sink into something that might be crappy.

I am one of those people that get 95% of the way somewhere new then get hopelessly lost at the last min and think that it could save me my relationship with my map reading girlfriend, lol.

cheers guys, also if possible could you show pics of aftermarket installs. :winky:

What about a HP/Compaq ipaq + GPS receiver and software. You can move it from car to car and you also have a pda to use as well.

I keep seeing these around and I gonna have to get one if they can be had all in for under £500. WOuld be a worthy mod I think. can do sooooo much with a PDA these days...

I've just bought a Dell Axim PDA and you can get them from £184 on the dell website - www.dell.co.uk

When I'm feeling a bit more flush, I'll look to get the GPS add-ons from TomTom (www.tomtom.com) - my mate has this for his Compaq iPac and really rates it. I think the add-on and the navigation software comes to about £250.

As well as the iPAQ options (and there are quite a few different type's available, I've got the NavMan unit) Garmin do a dedicated unit, the StreetPilot III which are available for £705 which is a good deal.

I'm very happy with my NavMan solution, it does everything the more expensive factory fit options do.

The Alpine one is good, BUT very pricy.

It only comes in DVD NAVI FORMAT NOW.. and then add the monitor. wooooosh..

It's a good system though.

For a bargan system, the VDO piece is good.

Was thinking of doing a VDO piece with a pop up screen.

Will keep members posted...

JUst SOld my Jornarda in record time so I will be putting the funds to a new Dell and the GPS kit that I have just witnessed in a very fine looking IS 200 with glowing scuff plates... :blink:

Cheers, Buddy!

:zee:

Thanks Loz i just posted this message with it :)

As well as the iPAQ options (and there are quite a few different type's available, I've got the NavMan unit) Garmin do a dedicated unit, the StreetPilot III which are available for £705 which is a good deal.

I'm very happy with my NavMan solution, it does everything the more expensive factory fit options do.

where is the street pilot going for that price ??

i have just seen in pcworld they are doinf a deal for a toshiba pda with all the tom tom software and car bits for £499. never used a toshiba before or the tom tom software, any personal experience with that stuff?

ALSO I JUST WENT TO THE TOM TOM WEB SITE AND DOWNLOADED THE EXAMPLE VIDEO, SEEMS GREAT, I REALY LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING THAT TO HELP ME, SORRY BOUT THE CAPS LOCK BTW.

where is the street pilot going for that price ??

Costco, £705 inc VAT.

Ive seen the Bretster Set up and it rules!

If I can have that kind a thing for £499 then I seriously have to think about it.

When I have smashed my Target for the year I might have to ask the management if they will dip in their pockets..yeah right :shutit:

Reckon the Dell and Tom Tom might be even cheaper!

:zee:

Am hoping to go and have another look at the pcworld deal again tonight, its pretty good i think. but i dont think it lasts too long.

will be cool tho never having to think for myself again hahahah.

Inspiration for this buy was on friday when i was at canary wharf till late, planning to go home via the blackwall tunnel but finding it closed! ended up driving for another 1hr to get home with sat nav it could tell me where to go quicker!

I've never had any reliability issues with my iPaq, but I would never buy another Windows CE (Pocket PC) device - I came from a Palm V to my iPaq and the interface is so cumbersome and slow that my patience wears thin at times. I've also lost count of the number of times that an application has locked up and requires a soft-reset. I also don't understand why when you close an app in PPC it doesn't actually close, merely put it to the background! Rant over!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links