Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Questions About The Ls400.

Hello.

I've only had my LS400 for a few week's, and been enjoying every bit of it. But was wanting to know a few things. Before I bought I did some research on common fault's(Suspension ball joints and exhaust was the main 2 thing's to crop up) but was interested in knowing a few other things I was hoping other owners would know. So here's the question:

Is it recommended to use premium fuel regularly?

Is it easy to do a basic service on it yourself ? (Oil, spark plugs, filters)

How easy is it to change the brakes? (Disc/pads)

Can you still update the sat-nav system?

Are sun-roof's prone to rusting/breaking easily?

It's a 2000 model LS400 I've got. Thank's in advance for any answers! :)

Hello Callum

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

I do not use premium fuel at all and the car seems to run fine on ordinary unleaded.

Basic servicing is relatively straightforward. Oil and filter are easy to change (although you need to lower or remove the engine under tray). Air filter is easy. I have not done plugs but they do last a long time if iridium ones are fitted.

I have not changed pads yet but having looked at the caliper/pad layout they look straightforward. Not sure about discs as I have not replaced any.

I think you can only update the sat-nav so far as it is a CD based system. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could be updated to 2009 but I may be wrong on this. Some other Mk 4 owners will advise on this.

I think sunroofs (or moon roofs as Lexus call them) are reliable and in my experience do not rust. The ones on both of my cars work well and I have not seen any rust on or around them.

Hope this helps and enjoy your LS400

Colin

To the above I would add, front discs and pads are simple enough, not done rears yet, but not seen anybody mentioning problems on here.

I would agree with Colin on everything except the sat nav update, which I think is worse than 09, but I'm not certain either, hopefully somebody else knows for sure.

I would add use a genuine Toyota oil filter.

The moonroof is normally problem free but the drains can become clogged and allow water to enter the car, thick strimmer wire is a good pipe cleaner.

Check the spare wheel well for water usually due to a leaky boot rubber seal.

Don't forget the pollen filter often overlooked,certain models have to have the climate control in a certain setting before removing the filter to avoid damaging the flaps/levers so check 1st.

Have a look in the pull out storage box under the front seat, I think I may have left around £18,000 in there :)

I bet the torch is missing from the toolkit in the boot.

Finally where are the pictures? :)

Thats for the response guys! :D

When i took the plastic engine cover off last week I was starting to think that the filters and such would maybe be a problem, and being an upmarket car thought the same would be the case with the brakes, but thankfully it doesn't seem so going by what you's are all saying.

Admittedly the Sat-Nav is't a huge must, as I don't really use them and I've got a portable one which I use in my Civic & Cappuccino, but did see when I was visiting the parents last week a few roads weren't showing up and though it'd be handy to update if possible.

Never though to check the spare wheel area, was going to be giving the spare wheel a quick check to see if it needed pumped up a bit so can kill two birds with one stone there! As well as checking the moonroof, as never actually had tryed it yet (bad experience in the past with one jamming open at the worst times!) so if the weather's kind, same for that!

Sadly no money left under the seats, but thankfully have all the original book's from new including the owners CD! And torch is missing from the toolkit (rest is there) but i always carry a tool bag that has most thing needed if the time arises.

I'll get more pictures up here once I've had the weather to give her a quick wash. :)

Steve mentioning the boot seal jogged my memory, it's a job I've done, and along with the bonnet struts, can be done much cheaper than using a dealer for parts.

Basically, what I'm saying, always search the forum for solutions, failing that, just ask, and somebody will point you in the right direction.

Thats for the response guys! :D

When i took the plastic engine cover off last week I was starting to think that the filters and such would maybe be a problem, and being an upmarket car thought the same would be the case with the brakes, but thankfully it doesn't seem so going by what you's are all saying.

Admittedly the Sat-Nav is't a huge must, as I don't really use them and I've got a portable one which I use in my Civic & Cappuccino, but did see when I was visiting the parents last week a few roads weren't showing up and though it'd be handy to update if possible.

Never though to check the spare wheel area, was going to be giving the spare wheel a quick check to see if it needed pumped up a bit so can kill two birds with one stone there! As well as checking the moonroof, as never actually had tryed it yet (bad experience in the past with one jamming open at the worst times!) so if the weather's kind, same for that!

Sadly no money left under the seats, but thankfully have all the original book's from new including the owners CD! And torch is missing from the toolkit (rest is there) but i always carry a tool bag that has most thing needed if the time arises.

I'll get more pictures up here once I've had the weather to give her a quick wash. :)

Torches sometimes come up on eBay, worth checking every now and then.

Sat Nav is not worth updating, can be fun to have it running in conjunction with your TomTom etc, try and get them fighting. Must get a life. Mike

there is no need to remove the underside tray to change oil filter,there is a screw to remove and a flap will hinge down to gain access to filter

ive been doing it all wrong then during my mark3 and 4 years - used to remove the whole cover

Re bonnet struts: it's time for me to invest in some new ones. There are some on e-Bay for £54.74 including carriage, sold by mattt7777777.

Anyone had experience of these?

No, but here's a couple of links for you.

As you'll see, a lot of us have used them, there's even a tutorial on there, I think.

Relevant thread here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/57402-bonnet-struts/?hl=%20bonnet%20%20strut

Suppliers site here http://www.cargasstruts.co.uk/product_info.php/lexus-ls400-p-1571

You might find that the windscreen washer low-level indicator light on the dash stays permanently on due to a failed float mechanism. Pretty easy fix though. Can't think of much else that's gone wrong in the last 35k miles apart from the bonnet struts needing replacement! These cars are very well engineered and parts last a long time. In most instances service parts are fairly easy to replace for your average DIYer.

..... on the Mk3's ( maybe the others too ) the power steering cooling pipes that run across the front of the radiator and up into the abyss where the pwr strng box is, usually rots out after about 18 / 19 years too.

This is an easy fix ( if you know how !!! ) and relatively inexpensive if you use a length of plumbers copper tube and don't try to replicate the mild steel configuration of the original pipework and just settle for the appropriate quality flexi pipe replacement.

Malc

• Like 1

I'd never have though of the screen wash low light (never knew it had one) as never had a car with it before.

With the power steering pipes, I'll be keeping an eye on them as mine are a bit rusty, but may get round to changing them just for peace of mind!

Thanks again guys! :)

Talking of bonnet struts . . . .

I have had my car for about a month, and think that the boot lid is quite heavy to lift. Is this because it is made from quality-weight material, or is it a sign the struts need replacing?

My car is a little earlier but I'm faced with a lot of expense to replace parts which quite naturally are nearing the end of their life after 21 years and come up as advisories. Quote for a rear upper control arm from Lexus £353.95 or £375 with new bolts etc.

I've just sourced rear uppers and front uppers and lowers and its been a nightmare trying to find better deals for quality parts. Got front lowers from Australia japanese brand about £70 each. Just had delivered a Raybestos fr. UCA which cost £114 only to find that the Box is Raybestos but the bagged part inside just says "Made in Taiwan". Not sure if I've been duped, or more likely most American companies are outsourcing these days much to disgust of the Yanks. C'est la vie. Rears springs bought Ok £80 fair price, but why these Control arms can't have replaceable bushes beats me. Awaiting Rear UCA's from Amayana - cost for two £350. So, as the seller told me, they are a rich mans car. This said, sure I'm going to have a car that I can trust for many years assuming him above gives me that time.

.. take care with the Upper Control Arms .......... experience shows that ONLY Lexus OEM survives more than a year or so .................... and they last for maybe 200k miles or so

Malc

.. take care with the Upper Control Arms .......... experience shows that ONLY Lexus OEM survives more than a year or so .................... and they last for maybe 200k miles or so

Malc

It does beg the question why does OEM lasts 200k and chinese only a year? They didn't use polyurethene back in 93 as far as I'm aware. How different can rubber be? Perhaps I'll put up a thread for people to give their experience - what bought, approx cost, how many miles to date, what experience. I'm all for paying a fair price but OEM is astronomic.

• Like 1

........ I think you will maybe find much forum discussion on the Upper Control Arms scenarios to give you whatever guidance you want to seek and accept.

Good luck with what you have now bought, they may be superdooper and we can all go your way in time when heaven forbid we need to replace them.

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links