Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Advice On Big Spend Coming Up

Just had the service, and car running a lot smoother.

But with MOT coming up in 5 weeks, been advised that the following are likely to be a fail (and probably explains the slightly odd ride)

Front Tie Bar bushes worn

Rear Top Wishbones worn

Estimate to get it all done around £1300 -£1400

Mechanic charges £55 an hour, so any thoughts on this.

I am not much of a suspension expert, but once these are sorted, is there likely to be anything else later on with big cost, there was no mention of any issues with front wishbones!

If it was me, and the body was good, and it ran well, I'd certainly have it done. You won't find anything to replace it with that's as good, and that will last many more years. Mine went for an MOT this week, and apart from it not passing because the horn doesn't work (which I knew about) the only advisory was a chip on the windscreen. Not bad for a 13 year old!

• Like 1

But with MOT coming up in 5 weeks, been advised that the following are likely to be a fail (and probably explains the slightly odd ride)

Rear Top Wishbones worn

I am not much of a suspension expert, but once these are sorted, is there likely to be anything else later on with big cost, there was no mention of any issues with front wishbones!

my MOT is due in April and this has made my blood run very cold hmmm

Rear Top Wishbones worn

my MOT is due in April and this has made my blood run very cold hmmm

I've owned two LS 400's, a 93 and a 99 with not one failure in 7 years, I'd sit by the fire and let your blood warm up again!

All cars need money spent on them from time to time and I would look around for a competitive price for the work that needs doing and get her fixed. You know your car and if you replace it with another you have no knowledge of what problems that's going to come with. We cant expect our cars to run and run forever with no money being spent on them, that car doesn't exist.

Good luck with it. Mike

........ I would get a couple of competitive quotes ..... what's the mileage between the last MOT and now and were they an Advisory at the last MOT ?

Malc

Malc,

I do about 12K per year, so I take a view that with 150K on the clock it is about time for the running gear to be needing an overhaul.

My mechanic is an LS owner, so he knows what is needed, and at last MOT even though not picked up by MOT I was told some of the bushes were getting a little dodgy.

To be fair I think £1400 seems fine(ish) so long as this means the car goes for another decade or more.

What I need to do is check out prices of parts on Amayama and see if it makes sense to buy from them.

I am not sure what state the front wishbones are in, but if the work gets the 400 back to a really nice ride, it makes more sense than trying to move on up to a 460 - which would be the only way forward, but a 460 at (say) £10K - £12K versus £1300, seems like sorting the 400 will be my choice, as it such a lovely car.

When I had Omega and ended up spending a fortune on wishbone replacements, it seemed like not the best use of money, but with a Lexus a much better investment and would be nice to know that I am keeping a classic car on the road and using it every day as well.

...... quite agree with your sentiments. If this is the first bushes you've had on this car ever then they have done ok.

I know that certain of mine were changed at about 120k by the previous owner and even when checked specifically at last year's MOT ( 154k ) was told that everything seemed in order and no undue wear ( hope that stays this year too, especially for the UCAs ).

£1300, a drop in the ocean really. What would you change the car for and not spend a fortune ? ( rhetorical Q )

................ spend the dosh and enjoy several more years of superb and comparatively inexpensive motoring.

Malc

I keep thinking about a 460 or 600 too BUT tbhonest I really can't see that I would get any appreciably better comfort / reliability / safety or lower running costs than I attain from my Mk3.

If I was to make the change then I would be doing it now, well over the next two months or so with these tax changes in the Pension Rules ..... OR I could spend the dosh on rather more adventurous holidays .... and maybe take the Lexus away more around Europe.................. just convinced myself I guess :whistling:

• Like 1

Malc,

You are absolutely correct - you won't get 'any appreciably better comfort / ride / safety etc'. Let's face it, that's the 'raison d'etre' of the Lexus LS range.

But, what you WILL get, are the benefits of the years of evolution and improvements since your car was manufactured. The only big decision you have is whether to go for the 460 or 600. I chose the 460. My reasoning was this - having owned a 400 for 15 years, I'd like my 460 to last at least as long. I'm just not convinced that the hybrid system will last for that length of time, without having to spend a lot of money on it.

Just my 10 cents worth..........................

Brian ..... I was reading somewhere that the average life expectancy of the hybrid Battery ( pack ? ) is @8 years, yes EIGHT years ............. My Mk3 will outlast that methinks !

.... and my Mk3 is only 20 this year ............. nearly a veritable classic I guess ............

Malc

Malc,

You are absolutely correct - you won't get 'any appreciably better comfort / ride / safety etc'. Let's face it, that's the 'raison d'etre' of the Lexus LS range.

But, what you WILL get, are the benefits of the years of evolution and improvements since your car was manufactured. The only big decision you have is whether to go for the 460 or 600. I chose the 460. My reasoning was this - having owned a 400 for 15 years, I'd like my 460 to last at least as long. I'm just not convinced that the hybrid system will last for that length of time, without having to spend a lot of money on it.

Just my 10 cents worth..........................

i agree - i think for me the 430 so far has been brilliant with no big bills - i have thought about 460/600 or gs450h but i know that eventually there will be big bills which only the dealer will be able to fix

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links