Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does your car sound as good as a 5.0 Mustang?

Whilst walking through town yesterday, a 5L Mustang drove past. I have to say I was very impressed by the noise.

Firstly, I appreciate that sound is subjective and the Mustang and IS-F are completely different types of cars, but here is my question anyway. Those of you that have changed exhausts, would you say that your car sounds as good as a Mustang?

Apologies for what might be a dumb question, but I've never heard another IS-F on the road, let alone heard one with a custom exhaust :)

3 hours ago, dr_rick said:

Yes

OK, I'll qualify this.

I have a cat back with valved silencers, and when the secondary intake opens it goes full NASCAR. Until then it burbles nicely to the point that you can see pedestrians doing a double take to find the source of the noise.

I'm thinking about an intake that removes the secondary intake flap to get that noise all the time. But as we all know, intakes are a divisive subject.

Was thinking of an HPS intake. I've recently put a K&N panel filter into the stock filter housing (old OEM one was starting to look a little scabby). But I'll need to think about the filter box / intake flap options.

I'd add that on my last track day at Oulton Park, a 5.0 Mustang was there and I was a bit disappointed by the noise. Must have been standard - the engine was barely audible. 

Must be like ours and need a catback to unleash what we've all paid for! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

I'd add that on my last track day at Oulton Park, a 5.0 Mustang was there and I was a bit disappointed by the noise. Must have been standard - the engine was barely audible. 

Must be like ours and need a catback to unleash what we've all paid for! 

Maybe the one I heard had been modified I guess.

being new, does it have a flap to open? A loud exhaust in a track day might break noise limit. The lotus evora 400 has a stock exhaust that is too loud for most UK tracks. Crazy but true. Lotus developing "upgrade" which is quieter!

On 12/11/2016 at 8:38 PM, lotusdave said:

being new, does it have a flap to open? A loud exhaust in a track day might break noise limit. The lotus evora 400 has a stock exhaust that is too loud for most UK tracks. Crazy but true. Lotus developing "upgrade" which is quieter!

The downshifts on an ips equipped Evora 400 sound divine! Heard one at Silverstone recently, didn't get flagged on a 102db limit. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, dr_rick said:

Was thinking of an HPS intake. I've recently put a K&N panel filter into the stock filter housing (old OEM one was starting to look a little scabby). But I'll need to think about the filter box / intake flap options.

I`ve got the Toms filter with a HPS intake, you do get more intake noise:yes:

8 hours ago, dr_rick said:

@CharlieC What's your take on the intake vs power discussions from t'other side of the pond?

Hi Rick, to be honest I really cant tell the difference. I have second cat delete and custom silencers as well but I think you would need at least 25+ hp to notice any improvement.

The intake noise is a bit louder and seems to start a bit sooner, that's it really!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Unless you're talking about the RR-Racing performance intake, there isn't much in it with things like Joe Z, HPS, RR-Racing, Takeda etc.

As it stands, the stock airbox with an updated panel filter (take your pick, there's plenty!) and an improved intake pipe is the best option(unless you have headers and the tune, in which case it's the performance intake with larger MAF from RR-Racing).

I prefer my titanium intake elbow from RR-Racing because the intake breather pipes are removed, and instead go through a small K&N filter. The AOS I have fitted proves there is a tendency to get oil in your intake/engine with the stock setup. Whilst it's not a huge deal, I'd prefer not to have it there, so these two mods are doing wonders. 

Cheers.

Pete

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links