Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I am thinking of updating my Mk3 with either a lower mileage Mk3 or a Mk4.

There is, what looks to be, a nice one on the well known auction site but...

cambelt changed at 67000 in 2003. Mileage now 115000, it's an R Mk3 so

a late one. Is it worth a punt as I would need to drive all the way from Essex to North

Shropshire to get the belt done by my local garage?

I have visions of bad luck with it being so old.

Comments gratefully received.

Mark.

Nice colour, one of my favourites.

it wouldn't bother me, most cam belts that are changed look OK when they're removed. Have you tried a MK4? It's one amazing car, not that I'm saying the others aren't of course. Also I would have thought the starting price was about it really.

Mk3 heated driver seats rarely function whatever the Mk3 ....................... fix the aircon if it worries you, change the tyres sometime and run it for another 10 years ................ probably trouble free and little expense !

............... assuming it's done less than half a million miles

Malc

Yes I drove a couple of Mk4's when I was looking for my current car three years ago. So long ago I just remember being

blown away, I think the Mk3 is almost as good. However there is less to go wrong on the Mk3 and I have never had a Battery

drain problem. That said, either, as long as it's good! There is another on that auction site for £2500 which, on the face of it, looks

brilliant, just a bit too much and too far. Point taken re the price of the grey one, I wouldn't want to bid much more to be honest.

Mark.

Thanks Malc, the voice of reason!

It may be better to stick with what I know....but....that itch that I can't quite scratch...I'll have

to drink about it! Cheers....

hahahahaha ............... that itch might cost you lots of dosh in the end !!!

I can't fathom any sensible reason why I would want to be changing my Mk3 for any other Ls400 tbh :whistling: ............. but I am an oldie now and not keen on too much change in life unless it's spectacular ( like maybe a brand new Ls600 if someone gifted me it and covered 10 years expenses too )

Malc

Good point, the grass is always greener and my wife would still hate whatever LS I bought, she

refers to it as too big to drive yet it has the same footprint as the old Land Cruiser that she so loves

driving!

I think I will just drive and enjoy......Mark.

Thanks Malc, the voice of reason!

It may be better to stick with what I know....but....that itch that I can't quite scratch...I'll have

to drink about it! Cheers....

I'm afraid that itch will be hard to get rid of, I know, I've had many! I'm very glad I sold my MK4 to get an LS430, it's by far the best car I've owned, but I know the risks we take when we buy cars that were made for the luxury market. It seems you just have to be in the right place at the right time, like the guy that bought my MK4 last year for £1,100 with 107K

Just don't put a bid on when you're "drinking about it"

Thanks Phil, yes I feel that I am privileged to be able to drive such an exclusive vehicle but also aware that

I am at the end of the food chain in terms of ownership!

Speaking of which I've just done the shopping run to Shrewsbury and back, sunroof open and a glorious V8

under my right foot. Despite a few niggles, what's not to love!!

Yes, no bidding after a few reds.......

Mark.

Thanks Phil, yes I feel that I am privileged to be able to drive such an exclusive vehicle but also aware that

I am at the end of the food chain in terms of ownership!

Speaking of which I've just done the shopping run to Shrewsbury and back, sunroof open and a glorious V8

under my right foot. Despite a few niggles, what's not to love!!

Yes, no bidding after a few reds.......

Mark.

Like Mark, I didn't have any Battery problems. And I love the expression, "End of the food chain in terms of ownership" That's one I'm going to remember! The way I see it, they cost so little to buy now, so if I had a major problem needing mega bucks spent, I'd just look for another one! Should that happen, I'll keep the current one as a donor car.

Was looking inside a Panamerica yesterday! Very slick, but so enclosed, somehow, inside.

After my history of Citroen DSs and CXs, then LS400s, I like a bit of glass below shoulder level !

Modern cars are so tank like.

Was looking inside a Panamerica yesterday! Very slick, but so enclosed, somehow, inside.

After my history of Citroen DSs and CXs, then LS400s, I like a bit of glass below shoulder level !

Modern cars are so tank like.

A Pana What?

Probably someone messing the seller about so the bid got cancelled.

eBay psychology is a bit weird like that - I've seen cars finish without selling, then when the seller relists 2 months later with a lower starting price, the bids end up higher than the classified price from 2 months ago!

Notice that gold mk4 has gone now - Was tempted by that one myself, but the price was almost LS 430 money and there was a few concerning things like the engine capacity was wrong when you looked up the tax status.

Yes Joe, that was a nice one, a bit rich for my pocket though.

Just been for a 180 mile round trip to drop number 2 daughter off, lovely

ride back via Bridgnorth to avoid motorway snarl ups. Despite lack of

aircon, had moon roof open there and back....nice! Maybe stick with

Betsy for the moment....Mark

That sounds nice, I do like a car with a proper sunroof! I'm still looking to get an LS 400 as I plan to do a few road trips around the UK and europe and don't think my current car would be very pleasant (noisy, slow and uncomfortable)

Noticed there's a few on gumtree, I'm a bit tempted by a couple on there, trouble is they are always at least 2-3 hours drive away!

Joe, good luck with your search. I had to travel lots and look at a good few before I bought Betsy!!

Keep looking.

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links