Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do you use manual mode?

Will have owned the car 3 years in May and very rarely use the paddles so Last week i thought id spend the whole week Just using the paddles and see how i got on.

To be honest it feels very artificial to me still, its as though without a clutch and stick i can't feel when its the right time to change gear, i don't Get that muscle memory feeling that i have in a manual car. Its like i keep having to think about when to flick the paddle and then i keep having to look at what gear im in on the dash as the paddles are always in the Same position.

Also what is the highest gear you use when in manual mode? 

As i live in sw london highest i used was gear 4 going down the A3. Im guessing you dont use 6 7 8 as that would be to much changing up and down?

Oh and 16 mpg out of the tank compared to 19mpg when in auto mode.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts and how you use your car.

Kieron. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kieron1977 said:

Will have owned the car 3 years in May and very rarely use the paddles so Last week i thought id spend the whole week Just using the paddles and see how i got on.

To be honest it feels very artificial to me still, its as though without a clutch and stick i can't feel when its the right time to change gear, i don't Get that muscle memory feeling that i have in a manual car. Its like i keep having to think about when to flick the paddle and then i keep having to look at what gear im in on the dash as the paddles are always in the Same position.

As i live in sw london highest i used was gear 4 going down the A3. Im guessing you dont use 6 7 8 as that would be to much changing up and down?

Kieron. 

Same tbh, having owned the car for 12 months I rarely use the paddles. Every now and then I try to persevere with them but they're not for me. Maybe on a track it might be a different experience. Use auto normal most of the time and flick into sport for a bit of fun. I don't think you can ever replicate the stick manual for 'feel' but I would never go back because the auto box is excellent and perfect for daily driving 95% of the time.

5 hours ago, kieron1977 said:

Kieron. 

If you never go above 4th then that will contribute to lower economy.  

I use manual/sport occasionally as the roads I live on are brilliant but weather recently has been rubbish.  Overtaking also as I don't like the fact the car still does kick down and stuff when it's in drive with a paddle pulled.

I like the paddles but I really need to be hammering the car before it feels intuitive and use engine note to gauge shift times 

If I lived in a built up area and used the F as a daily, I suspect I'd just stick in auto. However, as I drive the F mainly at weekends, when I do I drive it, I want to enjoy the drive, and being in control of the gear selection is part of the fun.

I totally agree that there is no substitute for a manual box, and that if you use all 8 gears it is easy to forget which gear you are in. I recall either @Rusty Crobar or @emjay82 saying that it is best to drive it as a 5 speed, thinking of 6th, 7th and 8th gears as being there for economy. That works well for me.

I'm a big fan of the F, but I've never found a gearbox setting that is perfect. In a ideal world, I'd like to be able to set the following combinations -

Manual gear selection ON + Sport ON + Smooth up change.

• Like 1

I mainly use auto, but if I have some road where I can use the manual I do, it is only usually for a mile or two at a time before switching back to auto (esp on suburban roads), but when you can it is good and the blip in the revs when changing down is sooo cool.  Like many, I still yearn for a manual, but as that was never on the menu with an ISF I enjoy the car for what it is and dual personality of cruiser and racer the auto box gives us.

• Like 2

i agree, auto for the commute and customer visits when I'm thinking about work and the car is a mobile office, manual for when I'm getting more involved on my own time.. 

The last few occasions I've been out in mine I've preferred manual mode out on the open road and twisties. It doesn't kick down when cruising in 8th unless you go below 50mph and seems to improve the mpg a little. ( Like 24mpg instead of the 22 I normally see). I also like being in full control when putting the power down unlike auto mode where I've had the car sideways on an unwanted kickdown.

Back in the town and traffic though it's put straight into auto unless I'm in a noisy mood lol.

8 hours ago, Grey One said:

I mainly use auto, but if I have some road where I can use the manual I do, it is only usually for a mile or two at a time before switching back to auto (esp on suburban roads), but when you can it is good and the blip in the revs when changing down is sooo cool.  Like many, I still yearn for a manual, but as that was never on the menu with an ISF I enjoy the car for what it is and dual personality of cruiser and racer the auto box gives us.

What this man said, although I'd also add when I'm cruising on the motorway...

I pop the car into 8th and leave it there. When I want a bit more speed, I want the torque of the engine to propel me, I don't want anything more than a tickle on the throttle to drop the 'box down to 7th, 6th or even 5th, as it makes a gentle burst of power become quite rowdy!*

It's a shame cruise control doesn't work in manual mode! 

*disclaimer. This is not generally a bad thing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links