Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

crawled on my knees for 4 hours to renew brake fluid and had a good look at all my suspension bits. Don't think too much needs doing which is a relief 🙂  

does anyone know where I can get rear shocks insulators (dust covers)? I've seen LexusPartsDirect have them listed but they are very dear...

Yesterday I siphoned out the Power steering fluid which was black replacing with Mannol Dextron 111.  A very simple process which I saw on the Tube saying can be done in five minutes.  Took more time than that but did the job which has been on the back burner for a while.

The World and its wife being here on the Coast, not had the opportunity to see if it gives a different feel to the Steering.  Was concerned that there seemed to be  a vague spot  I can only describe as like "jumping a cog". Hoping the Steering column is sound  as these are rather pricey and enough tasks on the list already.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:48 AM, BlueWagon said:

crawled on my knees for 4 hours to renew brake fluid and had a good look at all my suspension bits. Don't think too much needs doing which is a relief 🙂  

does anyone know where I can get rear shocks insulators (dust covers)? I've seen LexusPartsDirect have them listed but they are very dear...

Personally I used Motorcycle Fork Gaitors - cost under £8 just needed to use Cable ties to tie to the remains of the original Gaitors. Did the job.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/31/2021 at 1:40 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Yesterday I siphoned out the Power steering fluid which was black replacing with Mannol Dextron 111.  A very simple process which I saw on the Tube saying can be done in five minutes.  Took more time than that but did the job which has been on the back burner for a while.

The World and its wife being here on the Coast, not had the opportunity to see if it gives a different feel to the Steering.  Was concerned that there seemed to be  a vague spot  I can only describe as like "jumping a cog". Hoping the Steering column is sound  as these are rather pricey and enough tasks on the list already.

Stuart I did this with mine recently and then ran it for a short distance it took about four goes before the fluid was really clear.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Personally I used Motorcycle Fork Gaitors - cost under £8 just needed to use Cable ties to tie to the remains of the original Gaitors. Did the job.

Following this inspiration, I used steering boots from a Mercedes. It turned out to be a pretty good fit inside the original insulators and over the spring / damper after cutting off the small end to get it over the end of the damper. Part number is 2004630296, costed £6.21 each.

Quite happy with this bodge and £100 saving vs buying replacement insulators from Lexus 🙂

IMG_20210711_114709.jpg

IMG_20210711_130440.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My RX 400h passed its MOT - advisories on brake pads and discs, so getting that done next week.

I decided too to change my rear discs and pads, initially I wanted to skim them but after removing one I realised it is in worth condition that I expected, so these are on order and I hope to pick up them today, and the plan is to fit them today too. I will also clean the callipers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My RX 400h passed its MOT - advisories on brake pads and discs, so getting that done next week.

At a Lexus main dealer or private independent garage? 

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

4 hours! Glad I let the dealer change mine then 🙂

Rear ones are more complicated than I thought due to hand brake pads plus both callipers needed a good cleaning, again! 🙂

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

looks nice and shiney - thats a of rust on the disc and suspension - is this normal?

I do not know if this is normal, especially on suspension, I doubt it is the way it should be, would be good to see other Lexuses. I think mine has more than normal rust underneath but I have nothing to compare it with and Lexus garage never commented on it.

You can see from the photo above that the discs at the back were very corroded and doesn't look like pad was having a good contact with the disc, no idea why. I measured the thickness of the disc it was 21mm (new ones 22mm), the pads were changed about 10k miles ago and still have plenty meat in them but with new discs I went with the new pads too.

Took my LS400 to a show today, Festival of the Unexceptional. It was held in Lincs this year, but still a drive of 90+ miles from me in neighbouring Norfolk. It seems like I was the only Lexus there year out of 500-1,000 old cars (mostly 1970s-90s 'normal' things). Some stunning and/or super-rare examples of once-common cars there.

It was my longest journey in the LS, it acquitted itself very well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Took my LS400 to a show today, Festival of the Unexceptional. It was held in Lincs this year, but still a drive of 90+ miles from me in neighbouring Norfolk. It seems like I was the only Lexus there year out of 500-1,000 old cars (mostly 1970s-90s 'normal' things). Some stunning and/or super-rare examples of once-common cars there.

It was my longest journey in the LS, it acquitted itself very well.

Thanks Nigel, but the accompanying photos haven`t come through ?

• Like 1

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Nigel, but the accompanying photos haven`t come through ?

Only just got back and I have several hundred to sort through! I'll try and get some up later tonight/tomorrow......

Just now, Spottedlaurel said:

Only just got back and I have several hundred to sort through! I'll try and get some up later tonight/tomorrow......

Will look forward to seeing yours along with some classics of yesteryear.Thanks.

10 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

10 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Will look forward to seeing yours along with some classics of yesteryear.Thanks.

Brilliant! We love photos! Especially of members cars!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links