Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


My 1st Lexus, question about Speed Camera data


Recommended Posts

Hi all, just received and enjoying my 2017 GS300h.

I have a question about the Sat Nav, mine is the Executive model with 12.3 Inch Display and was wondering if there is any way of getting Speed Camera data onto The Sat Nav.  I am a bit of a techie , so don't mind having to program data if that's the only way.  Or if anyone can just point me in the right direction to any sites, info or discussions, that would be great..

I know the car has traffic sign recognition which does help, but it doesn't replace the knowledge of where the cameras are.  

Thanks for any assistance, much appreciated..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Chris,

Always nice to see a fellow GS owner 🙂

We encourage pictures on this forum, so feel free to add some.

As far as I know (and I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly), there isn't a way to add the camera info.  I am not sure how much background you know about these cars, but their infotainment systems aren't the best.  In fact, I will say it is my single biggest annoyance of owning mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the world of Lexus Chris - brilliant and beautiful cars but with abysmal infotainment/navigation systems that have long been the brand's Achilles Heel.

I'm happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong but I don't think you can integrate speed camera info into the Lexus nav system.

Up to last week I much preferred and always used either Sygic, Waze or Google Maps on my phone, with speed cam info being one of many reasons. Last week I installed a Carlinkit apple Carplay/Android Auto unit in my RX so now I get to use my preferred mapping apps on the big car screen and it's great.

If I'm correct and you can't 'natively' do what you want, I can highly recommend one of these units if they do one for your car. The thread below id just FYI:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have beeps when there is a camera coming up, when a car crosses into our lane in front of us, when we change lane, when we go too fast and a lot of other times, so what they mean is not easy to understnad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

We have beeps when there is a camera coming up

At least, that's the case on some models. So, strangely, the car knows where the cameras are but doesn't seem to provide an option for making them visible on the satnav maps. Instead, it just confuses some new owners by beeping a bit before a speed camera and you'll see lots of threads on the forum where people are asking, "What's that beep for? I don't know what it means. How can I turn it off?"

And as far as I know there's no reference to this function in the manual.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

At least, that's the case on some models. So, strangely, the car knows where the cameras are but doesn't seem to provide an option for making them visible on the satnav maps. Instead, it just confuses some new owners by beeping a bit before a speed camera and you'll see lots of threads on the forum where people are asking, "What's that beep for? I don't know what it means. How can I turn it off?"

And as far as I know there's no reference to this function in the manual.

Plus, there's no way to add/delete so what camera info there is soon goes out of date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

At least, that's the case on some models. So, strangely, the car knows where the cameras are but doesn't seem to provide an option for making them visible on the satnav maps. Instead, it just confuses some new owners by beeping a bit before a speed camera and you'll see lots of threads on the forum where people are asking, "What's that beep for? I don't know what it means. How can I turn it off?"

And as far as I know there's no reference to this function in the manual.

I read somewhere in the manual that the sound can be lower or higher and I think also turned completely off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful, and I now understand that there seems to be no simple ideal solution.   

I had Android Auto on my VW Arteon, but after testing it, didn't actually bother with it in the 2 years I had the car, so a bit of an expensive solution just for speed camera info, but certainly worth researching, so thanks for that.  I have to say the sound quality of the system in the GS is so much better than the VW system, just a shame about some of the functionality, but every system has it's problems.

I am certainly interesting in knowing if I can get the beeps when nearing a camera as mentioned, even though nothing is displayed, may be can live with that for a while.  All I need to understand is, how do I know if it's available on my model and how do I enable it or do I have to get it enabled by a Lexus dealer, would be interested to know if anyone has that knowledge?

Alternatively is there any way an Android phone can be connected just to be display on the infotainment screen either through connecting via USB or Bluetooth, that would be really useful to know, or am I maybe being too hopeful..

Thanks again all, it's always fun to find out the quirks of any new system..

Link to post
Share on other sites

For my two pennies worth I've used an app called "Radarbot". When the phone is bluetoothed and the app is configured to remain "on" it will interrupt your sound system and provide very clear warnings. For me this all happens seamlessly and it's not a case of remembering to turn the app on albeit I do sometimes turn it off to save Battery.

The only concern I do have is that I'm not so sure it is up to date given my current experiences on the M23 where it still advises average speed cameras that were removed months ago.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian R said:

For my two pennies worth I've used an app called "Radarbot". When the phone is bluetoothed and the app is configured to remain "on" it will interrupt your sound system and provide very clear warnings. For me this all happens seamlessly and it's not a case of remembering to turn the app on albeit I do sometimes turn it off to save battery.

The only concern I do have is that I'm not so sure it is up to date given my current experiences on the M23 where it still advises average speed cameras that were removed months ago.

Good tip Brian, just bought a copy, for less than a fiver what's to lose? I particularly like the always on feature as I don't always remember to switch on TomTom or Waze. In terms of updates I think we all have a part to play in using the update database feature. If I fail with this one then perhaps Road Angel might be the best option? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brian R said:

For my two pennies worth I've used an app called "Radarbot". When the phone is bluetoothed and the app is configured to remain "on" it will interrupt your sound system and provide very clear warnings. For me this all happens seamlessly and it's not a case of remembering to turn the app on albeit I do sometimes turn it off to save battery.

The only concern I do have is that I'm not so sure it is up to date given my current experiences on the M23 where it still advises average speed cameras that were removed months ago.

I use a similar app called TomTom Amigo. It can be configured to start up when your phone makes it's Bluetooth connection to the car. Gives clear warnings when approaching cameras or in an "average speed zone". Have been using it for a few years now and it hasn't let me down yet (famous last words). They recently added Android Auto support for it too so can be used as your Sat-Nav option if you wish, however I still prefer Google Maps for that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

I had Android Auto on my VW Arteon, but after testing it, didn't actually bother with it in the 2 years I had the car, so a bit of an expensive solution just for speed camera info


You'll soon find that AA will provide much more than just speed cam info. As I said earlier, the on-board nav is abysmal, so AA gives access to Sygic, Waze, Google Maps etc., all of which (I think) come with speed cam alerts and are far better maps, far easier to use and kept up to date much more frequently than the Lexus offering.

 

8 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

Alternatively is there any way an Android phone can be connected just to be display


If there was, we wouldn't need AA - that's exactly what AA does for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really need a speed camera bing and bong though? I can imagine that means you're simply going too fast? 

We get 10%+2mph realistically anyway so unless youre doing 35mph true speed which is probably like 37mph on the speedo and in that event youre more likely to get caused by a mobile speed camera than a fixed one anyway. 

It was certainly the case when I got caught doing 76 in a 40! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Do you really need a speed camera bing and bong though? I can imagine that means you're simply going too fast? 

We get 10%+2mph realistically anyway so unless youre doing 35mph true speed which is probably like 37mph on the speedo and in that event youre more likely to get caused by a mobile speed camera than a fixed one anyway. 

It was certainly the case when I got caught doing 76 in a 40! 

You sound like an ex-smoker in the company of a smoker, or you are being  paid huge fees for running a speed awareness course. 🤔 Around 1000 drivers a day are fined for speed related infractions and that by default can only be a tiny fraction of drivers who, at any single moment in time, are actually speeding so what is your proposal? Presumably to have a live recorder in the car. This seems to be the single area in law enforcement that the authorities are determined to pursue, burglary, shoplifting, smoking drugs however are too difficult as too many people are doing it! I don't suppose money has anything to do with it? I am still fascinated by seat belts being mandatory since following your logic if everyone drove more carefully then no accidents = no seat belts 👍. And the 10% myth is just that a myth, it is purely down to local regions whether or not they apply any form of leeway. But going 36 mph OVER the limit is clearly reckless and you are no doubt writing from Lourdes where you are seeking absolution for your dastardly deed 😱😱😱

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

You sound like an ex-smoker in the company of a smoker, or you are being  paid huge fees for running a speed awareness course. 🤔 Around 1000 drivers a day are fined for speed related infractions and that by default can only be a tiny fraction of drivers who, at any single moment in time, are actually speeding so what is your proposal? Presumably to have a live recorder in the car. This seems to be the single area in law enforcement that the authorities are determined to pursue, burglary, shoplifting, smoking drugs however are too difficult as too many people are doing it! I don't suppose money has anything to do with it? I am still fascinated by seat belts being mandatory since following your logic if everyone drove more carefully then no accidents = no seat belts 👍. And the 10% myth is just that a myth, it is purely down to local regions whether or not they apply any form of leeway. But going 36 mph OVER the limit is clearly reckless and you are no doubt writing from Lourdes where you are seeking absolution for your dastardly deed 😱😱😱

1000 drivers fined daily is good for economy. Not that I have not been driving too fast, but lately I find that staying at speed limits is not a bad thing. What the point is coming 2 minutes before to destination if it cost a hefty fine is not what I think is smart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

About a year ago I got 3 points and £100 fine, then a few weeks later I got caught again but this time it was a speed awareness course.

As someone who has almost always driven about 5 or 6mph above the limit, I'm now trying to be a good citizen and stick to the limits but I don't mind admitting that I'm finding it very difficult; partly, I suppose, due to habit and partly because these cars are so quiet and effortless.

The upshot is that I'm glancing down at the speedo about once every 5 to 10 seconds and I feel it's distracting me more and making me a potentially worse driver than I was when speeding. A very loud bleep at 2mph over the limit would be a great asset I feel.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Herbie. You stated you got points and a fine ONE year ago then just a few weeks later you got caught speeding again but got offered a speed awareness course? Well all I can say is you were one helluva lucky sod. And I mean lucky. You really should have got points again and a bigger fine. But if you get caught speeding again in the next 2.5 years you won't get offered the course but be fined heavily. 

@Phil. A bit harsh there pal on Rayaans. 

Someone mentioned Road Angel. They're utter c r a p. For anyone seriously looking for a speed camera location then look up beat the speed trap. A 'club' dedicated to speed related issues. Ok I've been a member about 15 years but the main guy dies my head in lol. They've introduced an updated camera detector which is the beez neez. I use the 1st issue one and it spots fixed camera locations and mobile cameras too. Even those powerful cameras that when you see one 1/4 mile away it's too late type.

But what I'd like to know is this. You have a sedate luxury car which takes a firm press of the gas pedal to go quick why do you want speed camera location notification ? All I can think of is you are a habitual speeder. Therefore why do you have a GS300h? I know these cars. I wanted one but got the is300h instead. I'm not having a go but I'm a bit flummoxed by this thread.

There is a time and ace to speed. Believe me I speed far more than I'd like but I do it where I know there are no cameras and nowhere for mobile ones to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

1000 drivers fined daily is good for economy. Not that I have not been driving too fast, but lately I find that staying at speed limits is not a bad thing. What the point is coming 2 minutes before to destination if it cost a hefty fine is not what I think is smart.

John, this is not good for the economy, its a way of depriving ordinary people of their ever dwindling discretionary income due to usury levels of taxation disguised as fines. And you get to a destination on time by leaving on time and not blaming it on  speeding. But it's quite easy to see how we shall be the last generation of drivers with complete freedom of the road as such. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Herbie said:
13 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

Alternatively is there any way an Android phone can be connected just to be display


If there was, we wouldn't need AA - that's exactly what AA does for us.

There is, MirrorLink available on some vehicles. AA/CP however provides an interface that is more appropriate for a driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

John, this is not good for the economy, its a way of depriving ordinary people of their ever dwindling discretionary income due to usury levels of taxation disguised as fines. And you get to a destination on time by leaving on time and not blaming it on  speeding. But it's quite easy to see how we shall be the last generation of drivers with complete freedom of the road as such. 

If you consider driving faster than allowed as freedom.

Want to drive fast: Do not use public roads. Several using public roads are not super drivers.

You think they should never have had permission to drive.

Some places they take your car if speeding. I think that is fair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

@Herbie. You stated you got points and a fine ONE year ago then just a few weeks later you got caught speeding again but got offered a speed awareness course? Well all I can say is you were one helluva lucky sod. And I mean lucky. You really should have got points again and a bigger fine.

It doesn't work like that, at least not in our area.

First time was 44 in a 30, so as you'll see from the chart below, that was 3 points and a fine.

Second time was 74 in a 60, so that was deemed appropriate for the SAC.

sac.thumb.png.4e749440f6b52602c176ce3185002570.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

@Herbie. You stated you got points and a fine ONE year ago then just a few weeks later you got caught speeding again but got offered a speed awareness course? Well all I can say is you were one helluva lucky sod. And I mean lucky. You really should have got points again and a bigger fine. But if you get caught speeding again in the next 2.5 years you won't get offered the course but be fined heavily. 

@Phil. A bit harsh there pal on Rayaans. 

Someone mentioned Road Angel. They're utter c r a p. For anyone seriously looking for a speed camera location then look up beat the speed trap. A 'club' dedicated to speed related issues. Ok I've been a member about 15 years but the main guy dies my head in lol. They've introduced an updated camera detector which is the beez neez. I use the 1st issue one and it spots fixed camera locations and mobile cameras too. Even those powerful cameras that when you see one 1/4 mile away it's too late type.

But what I'd like to know is this. You have a sedate luxury car which takes a firm press of the gas pedal to go quick why do you want speed camera location notification ? All I can think of is you are a habitual speeder. Therefore why do you have a GS300h? I know these cars. I wanted one but got the is300h instead. I'm not having a go but I'm a bit flummoxed by this thread.

There is a time and ace to speed. Believe me I speed far more than I'd like but I do it where I know there are no cameras and nowhere for mobile ones to be.

Tovaritch Vladimir, thank you for the recommendation. And yes I am a habitual speeder in the same way I am a habitual breather, that is to say I find it impossible to avoid both all of the time. As individuals our lives are being increasingly burdened by rules and regulations that limit our lives more and more. Driving is one of the last great pleasures in life that recognises our individuality but very quickly will be subsumed by the states decrees. If you are content with this then so be it but many people like myself knew of better times. Oh and I have a RX450H mainly to carry my dog in comfort 🐕🐕🐕

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

You sound like an ex-smoker in the company of a smoker, or you are being  paid huge fees for running a speed awareness course. 🤔 Around 1000 drivers a day are fined for speed related infractions and that by default can only be a tiny fraction of drivers who, at any single moment in time, are actually speeding so what is your proposal? Presumably to have a live recorder in the car. This seems to be the single area in law enforcement that the authorities are determined to pursue, burglary, shoplifting, smoking drugs however are too difficult as too many people are doing it! I don't suppose money has anything to do with it? I am still fascinated by seat belts being mandatory since following your logic if everyone drove more carefully then no accidents = no seat belts 👍. And the 10% myth is just that a myth, it is purely down to local regions whether or not they apply any form of leeway. But going 36 mph OVER the limit is clearly reckless and you are no doubt writing from Lourdes where you are seeking absolution for your dastardly deed 😱😱😱

Your reasoning is utter rubbish

We all know its a money making scheme. If you care to look at the data available. Its extremely unlikely to get flashed at by a camera going at a true speed of 35mph on a 30 road. 

If thats not enough leeway I dont know what is. I suppose you undercut on the motorway and hog the middle lane too? 

Quote

Around 1000 drivers a day are fined for speed related infractions and that by default can only be a tiny fraction of drivers who, at any single moment in time, are actually speeding so what is your proposal

Just dont speed then you dont need to worry about getting caught. Or if you do it, do it within 10% so you minimise the risk of getting caught. Pay the fine, take your ban and move on instead of expecting your car to flag up speed cameras that you should be noticing in the first place.

You've clearly made the conscious decision that you want to go over the limit, or enough to actually get stung so pay the consequences. I got caught speeding, you dont see me complaining about it despite the dual carriageway going from 70mph to 40mph and I missed the signs in an area I had never been to. 

This has nothing to do with freedoms and nobody has a right to drive for a start.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Tovaritch Vladimir, thank you for the recommendation. And yes I am a habitual speeder in the same way I am a habitual breather, that is to say I find it impossible to avoid both all of the time. As individuals our lives are being increasingly burdened by rules and regulations that limit our lives more and more. Driving is one of the last great pleasures in life that recognises our individuality but very quickly will be subsumed by the states decrees. If you are content with this then so be it but many people like myself knew of better times. Oh and I have a RX450H mainly to carry my dog in comfort 🐕🐕🐕

Philip, young man, do you really remember a time without speed limits or The Highway Code ?

 

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Tovaritch Vladimir, thank you for the recommendation. And yes I am a habitual speeder in the same way I am a habitual breather, that is to say I find it impossible to avoid both all of the time. As individuals our lives are being increasingly burdened by rules and regulations that limit our lives more and more. Driving is one of the last great pleasures in life that recognises our individuality but very quickly will be subsumed by the states decrees. If you are content with this then so be it but many people like myself knew of better times. Oh and I have a RX450H mainly to carry my dog in comfort 🐕🐕🐕

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Philip, young man, do you really remember a time without speed limits or The Highway Code ?

 

 

Well John, as I recall the Highway Code came into effect in 1931, or just after half past seven when I went to the pub. After which I cannot recall the contents of most things 🍺 As to speed I am old enough to recall being in an Aston doing 132 all quite legitimately on the M1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership