Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

@ganzoom

From my perspective this isn’t about ‘EV doubters.’ Those who have followed this thread are well aware that you drive a very expensive Tesla with a longer range than those that are more affordable.

To steal from Blackadder, but continuing to post your trips is like a broken pencil. Pointless.

By the way I would expect an evangelist for any cause to use all the tools at their disposal to convince non-believers as you are doing.

The challenges here are the same for me as have been stated previously:

- can a more affordable EV complete longer trips without compromise and inconvenience? A Nissan Leaf, or even a Hyundai IONIC5? Would you be as confident using one of those for your European trips?

- Winter range reduction, again for more affordable EVs rather than for those costing £100k.

I’d also note that, as with many things, one man’s inconvenience is another man’s chance for a twenty minute stroll. Everybody is different.

You do rather remind me of a politician being asked what the current price of a pint of milk is. Most of them haven’t got a clue of the situation in the ‘real’ world. 

That’s only my view and my opinion, as everything is on a forum. People can choose to agree, or disagree or ignore (delete as appropriate).

• Like 5

Having worked for Telenor for almost ten years I know the roads pretty well. I can further assure you that the only way to truly appreciate the scenery and get admiring glances is in my Jaguar XKR. Twenty years old and purrs like the big cat she is, oh forgot to mention, appreciating in value which offsets fuel costs. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

oh forgot to mention, appreciating in value which offsets fuel costs. 😎

and you conveniently totally ignore, purposefully, the harm and irretrievable damage you're doing to the environment by continuing to pump out noxious fumes in your pursuit of " appreciating in value " of your harm rendering toxic mode of irresponsible transport 😈

Luckily i do jest BUT I can see someone or other might just agree with my silly irresponsible comment above :whistling:  ....  being a true advocate of purring along 4ltr V8 petrol engineering :thumbsup:  ...  probably until the day I can no longer afford the usuary prices of petrol

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Those who agree with your totally irresponsible silly comment can go get (expletive). They can also sell their vehicles and use public transport. I love V8's and would love one. I'll stick with my V6 for the foreseeable. 👍

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Having worked for Telenor for almost ten years I know the roads pretty well. I can further assure you that the only way to truly appreciate the scenery and get admiring glances is in my Jaguar XKR. 

Lucky you!! Honestly why would you leave a place this beautiful!! I'm half tempted to emigrate, though my total lack of language would be a major issue.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about anyelse car, for me the journey/destination is what makes memories.

Our EV right now is letting us (6 in total), enjoy the best roads/scenery I've driven on/been to any where in the world for £0 cost in fuel....Unless you want to argue for the sake of arguing I cannot see why anyone would get grumpy at the idea of our EV road trip 🙂

Even in the rain this place is like driving heaven, the Atlantic Highway is on the litenary for tomorrow, than its on Trollstigen, very happy to take any suggestions around that area have quite a few days to play with.

52215050797_52a9732476_k_d.jpg

52216068448_45073350d0_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

The transition from ICE to EV is happening regardless of ones opinion. The first push has been by governments with tax incentives creating the initial market end in some countries the critical point has already been reached whereby private companies are stepping in as there is money to be made. I am of course talking about charging. Scandinavia, Holland Germany are leading the way and within 20kms there will always be a charging station. The big petrol companies like Shell, BP etc are all installing High output 350kw chargers in all their stations, in cities/villages etc. Highways are already covered. The forecast is EV charging will be more profitable then petrolpumps. Reason is no maintenance, all handling is electronic so no staff and customers will stay longer say 20 mins and eat buy something. If you want to have a look at the future see what is beeing rolled out in Germany right now. Large EV charging stations with over 70 chargers. Slow charging cheap, high speed more expensive. It is happening. This is a private company called Sortimo, so NOT a traditional petrol company

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Some good news - unleaded was down 3p/litre at my local BP last night. Long may this trend continue!

I read that oil is now below $100 per barrel, and is in fact cheaper today than it was when Russia invaded Ukraine…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I read that oil is now below $100 per barrel, and is in fact cheaper today than it was when Russia invaded Ukraine…

It'll soon be back down to £1.20 a litre, I have no doubt. 

Oh hang on a minute...

• Haha 4

Factoring in the current barrel costs and including for the £/$ devaluation over recent times, then by my reckoning fuel could be dropping to circa £1.60/gallon. This is of course subject to the market remaining settled for the foreseeable............

Have to say, prices in my neck of the wood are now heading in the right direction, albeit the usual culprits are lagging.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Lucky you!! Honestly why would you leave a place this beautiful!! I'm half tempted to emigrate, though my total lack of language would be a major issue.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about anyelse car, for me the journey/destination is what makes memories.

Our EV right now is letting us (6 in total), enjoy the best roads/scenery I've driven on/been to any where in the world for £0 cost in fuel....Unless you want to argue for the sake of arguing I cannot see why anyone would get grumpy at the idea of our EV road trip 🙂

Even in the rain this place is like driving heaven, the Atlantic Highway is on the litenary for tomorrow, than its on Trollstigen, very happy to take any suggestions around that area have quite a few days to play with.

52215050797_52a9732476_k_d.jpg

52216068448_45073350d0_k_d.jpg

The Trolls Road is probably Norways most famous road for it's engineering, views, hairpins, snow, rockfalls 😱😎, should keep you occupied for a while. Maybe not this time but Trondheim is about 4/5 hours from there. Beautiful beautiful place, fabulous food, you could live there if it wasn't so ruddy cold most of the year 😅

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

The Trolls Road is probably Norways most famous road for it's engineering, views, hairpins, snow, rockfalls 😱😎

Counting on it! 

Was up at 6am on the Altanic highway, stunning bit of tarmac afterwards as well towards Kristiansund.

I love driving, one of the reasons I switch over to EVs is because the running costs of a XJR supersport would have made my old 335i look 'economical'. With EVs you can literally have the pie and eat, twice over if you wanted to.

All cars are made for driving and the lower the fuel costs, the more you can drive them :).

52217347983_c489aa3ee2_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:06 AM, First_Lexus said:

- can a more affordable EV complete longer trips without compromise and inconvenience? A Nissan Leaf, or even a Hyundai IONIC5?.

A LR Leaf had nearly the same range as our 75D X, an IONIQ 5 has MORE range and chargers faster than our X. A Model 3/Y is on a different level for range compared to our now 5 year old, cheapest/smallest Battery Tesla.

Range is not an issue in any of the new EVs onsale today, all of them can do the trip I've done with no issues :).

13 hours ago, ganzoom said:

the Atlantic Highway

I'm thinking there's a similar named in the Irish Republic that I traversed a few years back .....  wonderful driving there especially ...  and in my purring along V8 too :thumbsup:

and I must admit seeing the Norwegian fjords from the luxury of a Fred Olsen ship in times past which is quite astonishing too ........ Fred being Norwegian AND knowing he needs to use smaller ships to get into and around the fjords for best customer experience too :yes:

I s'pose an amphibious EV would give the best of both viewpoints ..  from land and sea and making sure there were zero emissions from those sodding cruise liner engines .........  size is  ?  I wonder ..........:unsure:

Malc

Slightly off-topic I accept…but with the temperatures forecast for large parts of Britain over the next few days, You Tube took the opportunity to recommend an old David Mitchell piece about climate change. His explanation is spot on 😆.

I took my chance to clean the RX this morning while my driveway was in the shade and it was ‘only’ about 80 degrees. This time tomorrow they expect it be 94 degrees here. Yikes!

Anyway, hopefully you’ll all get some enjoyment from this…

• Like 1

Its hot and way too hot to contemplate washing a car - 27C now where I am with 30C predicted today - 37C tomorrow and 33C Tuesday.

What is going on? well I think you will find such temperatures scatered across the world all the time - google heatwave in europe and see what comes up - in the 70s, 80s, 90s...all the time that is what. it was almost 50C in Melbourne in 2002, I was there in March of that year.

700Million people live in Australia and SE Asia and experience weather hotter than this all the time - no state of emergency going on there

Besides it will be no doubt ****** rain in a few weeks time so make the most of it, and if you have a good camera enjoy the lightning shots next week - but this is too good an opportunity for science experts to remind people to buy an electric car, I see BMW charging a monthly fee to turn on heated seats, this is the digital future that we have signed up to - well governments have been so kind to sign up on our bahalf. People should be more worried about what else can they do the car while you are driving it because we will soon be way past the stage where the driver is in control.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, Malc said:

I'm thinking there's a similar named in the Irish Republic that I traversed a few years back .....  wonderful driving there especially ...  and in my purring along V8 too :thumbsup:

and I must admit seeing the Norwegian fjords from the luxury of a Fred Olsen ship in times past which is quite astonishing too ........ Fred being Norwegian AND knowing he needs to use smaller ships to get into and around the fjords for best customer experience too :yes:

I s'pose an amphibious EV would give the best of both viewpoints ..  from land and sea and making sure there were zero emissions from those sodding cruise liner engines .........  size is  ?  I wonder ..........:unsure:

Malc

The wild atlantic way -- I have traversed most of it, really amazing scenery - like this

I also drove along the great ocean road in Vic/Aus which is one of the worlds great scenic drives but Ireland is not far off

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, ganzoom said:

A LR Leaf had nearly the same range as our 75D X, an IONIQ 5 has MORE range and chargers faster than our X. A Model 3/Y is on a different level for range compared to our now 5 year old, cheapest/smallest battery Tesla.

Range is not an issue in any of the new EVs onsale today, all of them can do the trip I've done with no issues :).

Do you know this for a fact? I wouldnt trust a EV for a road trip, no chance in hell - road trips are about relaxing and enjoying new scenery and not worrying about your Battery running out or spending hours waiting for it to charge up again - providing you have a charger, you probably cannot use AC either as it will zap the Battery even worse.

Having a nice sounding petrol engine is another 'nice to have' for these trips

The problem is once again people listening to what these experts say, diesel gate... remember that? VAG were lying about emissions, the mpg of cars? they lied about that also - using ambitious figures in driving conditions that are not realistic in the real world - only to find out in reality that the mpg is much worse

The problem with batteries is ohms law -- I suggest you google it and understand that when resistance goes up current goes down. Batteries get hot, very hot which is why they need elaborate cooling and as they get hot the internal resistance goes up, and they cannot drive them great big electric motors any more - now we have all manner of electronic wizardy going on that will prolong batteries but ultimately you are up against it the minute you sit in the car

Driving an EV anyway quick will see the range plummet even further.

https://latestpagenews.com/technology/moan-on-the-range-warning-to-drivers-buying-electric-cars-as-their-range-is-up-to-100-miles-less-than-advertised-best-and-worst-brands/

On 7/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, dutchie01 said:

The transition from ICE to EV is happening regardless of ones opinion.

That is the crux of the problem as governments were very kind to sign up everyone to this revolution without any public ballot or say in things. Combustion cars have been around since the 1800s, and are not the sole responsibility for greenhous gases -  around 80-90% of emissions are due to reasons other than the famous combustion engine yet everyone needs to buy an electric car.

The problem is you cannot convince people to believe other than what we are told by media

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

The wild atlantic way

ah yes I remember it well ...  the only road in Ireland you don't want to be on when it's closed somewhere remote for roadworks whatever .  the diversion I had to take, beautiful as it was ....... I thought about 25 miles ....  but i may be exagerrating a little .  it didn't matter one jot .  i was there for the scenery on my month's holiday traversing the island of Ireland :yes:

Malc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malc said:

ah yes I remember it well ...  the only road in Ireland you don't want to be on when it's closed somewhere remote for roadworks whatever .  the diversion I had to take, beautiful as it was ....... I thought about 25 miles ....  but i may be exagerrating a little .  it didn't matter one jot .  i was there for the scenery on my month's holiday traversing the island of Ireland :yes:

Malc

a-wild-atlantic-way-route-sign-in-durrus

You might also come upon one of these beauties

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCYtsTyfIjZjDfDn0z06u

• Like 1

'Twas a fantastic month of idyll and driving unhurried all over and around .  nowt pre-booked, just arriving somewhere interesting for the night .  there's ALWAYS somewhere to stay wherever you might be .......... almost everywhere in the world........

One of my usual annual one month trips somewhere wonderful in the Lexus, usually driving about 4000 miles in sublime comfort etc ........

The only timing crisis is to get somewhere convenient to make sure i caught the ferry back on the pre-booked time from whichever port I remembered I was going from :wink3:

All pre-covid of course ...  thinking the next trip awaits ...  might even be Ireland again .  such beauty and mostly happy people to be encountered along the route 

Malc

4 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Do you know this for a fact? I wouldnt trust a EV for a road trip, no chance in hell

Strangely I agree with you 100% on what road trips should be about, but I simply don't understand why you are so dismissive EVs cannot do the same??

This is our EV has been doing just today, going up and down Trollstigen not once, but THREE times, and with 6 people on board. 

The amazing thing is interms of range/charging speed pretty much any new EV onsale today in the UK matches our 5 year old X, and in many cases betters it considerably.....The facts are is absolutely no issues with EVs doing road trips, unless you choose to simply believe otherwise.

Ireland looks pretty, though Norway is going to be hard to beat.....

52222530564_b70fb1596d_3k_d.jpg

52221133037_84cc907c6e_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

I topped up a while ago, Shell E5, £105.43 - with my 3% discount I save a whopping £3.16. That is for 52.48L so should last me till the end of the month, if lucky

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links