Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

6 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Really, what was wrong with your 335i

That's like asking me what was wrong with my old Nokia phone right after watching Steve Jobs reveal the Iphone :).

Life is for living and embracing change.

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Life is for living and embracing change

Drivers like me - and I don’t think I’m alone - will make the switch if and when it works for them. At the moment choosing an EV would - my perception following research last year for my own purchase - be more inconvenient than I’m prepared to live with.

I did see some polling at the time that noted drivers wanted an EV range of 400 miles to change, whereas the average EV range was only 200 miles (or along those lines, anyway). That fits me. Once an EV can really do 400 miles, in normal driving, in Winter and with the air con working then I’ll change. Other people have different views and priorities and are prepared to live with different things. At the moment I’m prepared to live with petrol prices for instance, but there may come a point when that cost makes perceived inconvenience of running an EV worth it.

Change isn’t always good. Having read a few EV threads, there are evangelists both for and against. I’m not an evangelist. I’m just an ordinary motorist who wants to drive where he wants to drive with the minimum of fuss. At this moment, for me, that means petrol. In two or three or five years time, with more chargers and longer ranges that will likely mean an EV.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

At the moment I’m prepared to live with petrol prices for instance.

Someone here mentioned they loved V6/V8s.....my last V6 NA car (Nissan 350Z did about 15mpg in town). If petrol prices hit £2/l, that would translate to a fuel cost of £6 per 10 miles in fuel 😲.

Where as my current 6 seater, sub 5 second to 60 second EV is costing me 7p per mile in fuel with with increase in electricity costs factored it. 

31 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

makes perceived inconvenience of running an EV worth it.

What inconvenience? We have a very economical IS300H, but our EVs have been simply the better cars to use for family duties. You would have to pay me to swap our EV for a combustion car, and even then I wouldn't do it unless forced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ganzoom said:

What inconvenience? We have a very economical IS300H, but our EVs have been simply the better cars to use for family duties. You would have to pay me to swap our EV for a combustion car, and even then I wouldn't do it unless forced.

Yes, I understand your opinion. You are, and I don’t think you’ll mind me saying, an evangelist for EVs.

However, you are somebody I’ve never met. In contrast, the one close friend who did go EV ditched it for the reasons I put in my earlier comment.

Last year I watched plenty of videos about EVs. Nearly all of them noted that in Winter range drops pretty significantly. They also noted the need to drive more slowly to conserve range, impacts of using air con etc. One even noted that - despite their review being on the whole positive about EVs - any negative comments resulted in howls of outrage from EV converts.

You don’t experience any inconvenience in either getting access to chargers or making long journeys. I can see that. I’m pleased for you, I really am. But for me, right now, my own research and experience tells me that I’m likely to have to plan more in advance and hope chargers are available when I need them. I’d also need to wait 20-30 minutes to recharge if they are. For me - and again, this is my own opinion and view - that is an inconvenience.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

You cant warm your cojones either in the winter with a EV-

You really do not know what your talking about do you?  Absolute rubbish you spout.

My EV can be either programmed or manually via a phone app or remote fob to pre warm the interior before departure, it’s toasty warm in Winter or in hot weather cooled down depending upon ambient temperature.

Pointless debate if you have no real knowledge of EVs.

And as I have told you before, read my post properly and you will see my i3 has 94% Battery health not 100%…..digest what you read before typing again.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, ganzoom said:

Thats funny because we are planning this trip in the summer in our 5 year old (which according to you and other on here should have a dead battery by now;). We could take our Lexus, but the EV is simply the better car.

51884809768_2605e2846c_c_d.jpg

Last summer went to the Highlands and Dartmoor both during school holidays, pre-pandemic we went to France in our EV. I've been lucky enough to own and drive some amazing combustion cars, but these days I have no time for them. EVs work and work well already, so unless you love love living in the past am not sure why anyone would choose a combustion car over an EV?

51374473149_7ced498705_c_d.jpg

51221838598_14c1bb2a34_c_d.jpg

51129129033_1e4a5d53f9_c_d.jpg

so unless you love love living in the past am not sure why anyone would choose a combustion car over an EV?

Because the majority of car owners don't have personal access to their own charging points, unless they have the privilege of their own drive or don't live in a flat.  

• Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 12:10 PM, Malc said:

Vlad I know nowt of your esteemed country but there are a few beneficial Top People around the world for sure ...... and one of them being I believe,  the unparalleled Sultan of Brunei where his countrymen enjoy free health care, much like us with the NHS ..........other than he flies them to other countries for free treatment ...........  at the cost to his State tho' .....  well, himself methinks

Malc

as long as you dont disagree or irritate or go against him Malc then you would be looking for your head that is chopped off

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

as long as you dont disagree or irritate or go against him Malc then you would be looking for your head that is chopped off

I thought it was the red queen in Alice in Wonderland doing that.

• Haha 1

I have attached a vid of Teslabjorn as i read a lot of misinformation about electric cars by people that do not own one. If you have time and feel like it it could be an idea to check out Bjorns channel, a bit nerdy perhaps but factual and EV only.

I do understand that if the charging infrastructure is not there it can be a challenge to owne one unless living in an urban environment. Tesla owners will think otherwise due the the supercharger network of course. BTW The Tesla chargers are now free for non teslas in The Netherlands see where Musk is going?

Here the infrastructure is well available and electric cars are common place, no debate really.

The industry will have some challenges coming up in some years to come mainly when the 1st gen batteries reach the end of life will be interssting to fiollow that one.

the reality is, regardless of your preference, they are coming, despite the governments best attempts to protect the oil industry, with lack of investment in the new infrastructure the force of change across the globe is driving it.... ironically, your drive to Europe will likely be much easier once you are out of the UK

Each new generation will improve on the previous, it took a long time to make petrol cars reliable, pretty sure EV's are ahead of that curve.

Ultimately, for most people, an overnight change once a week will be enough for the weeks driving, which avoid the inconvenience of petrol stations .... it's just a change to the way you think.

For me, I can't justify changing my car, for any reason, at the moment.... but EV will be on the table to review when that time comes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I have attached a vid of Teslabjorn as i read a lot of misinformation about electric cars by people that do not own one. If you have time and feel like it it could be an idea to check out Bjorns channel, a bit nerdy perhaps but factual and EV only.

I do understand that if the charging infrastructure is not there it can be a challenge to owne one unless living in an urban environment. Tesla owners will think otherwise due the the supercharger network of course. BTW The Tesla chargers are now free for non teslas in The Netherlands see where Musk is going?

Here the infrastructure is well available and electric cars are common place, no debate really.

The industry will have some challenges coming up in some years to come mainly when the 1st gen batteries reach the end of life will be interssting to fiollow that one.

Getting rid of old no longer productive windmills are a problem and even our tiny AA and AAA need being returned to special places will make it interesting to see how / if the no longer effective batteries will be disposed of / recycled.

9 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Getting rid of old no longer productive windmills are a problem and even our tiny AA and AAA need being returned to special places will make it interesting to see how / if the no longer effective batteries will be disposed of / recycled.

There are presently schemes to re-purpose Battery packs which are no longer of sufficient capacity for road vehicles for use in home storage banks as they will be viable for approximately another lifetime as the EV use. Not so many being re-purposed yet as not as many packs are at a low enough level as was first envisaged.

21 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

the reality is, regardless of your preference, they are coming, despite the governments best attempts to protect the oil industry, with lack of investment in the new infrastructure the force of change across the globe is driving it.... ironically, your drive to Europe will likely be much easier once you are out of the UK

Each new generation will improve on the previous, it took a long time to make petrol cars reliable, pretty sure EV's are ahead of that curve.

Ultimately, for most people, an overnight change once a week will be enough for the weeks driving, which avoid the inconvenience of petrol stations .... it's just a change to the way you think.

For me, I can't justify changing my car, for any reason, at the moment.... but EV will be on the table to review when that time comes

Drive here is not for EV owners without own charger. In supermarkets there are few chargers and I have seen people trying to charge without luck. Gasoline stations have no chargers. At least I have not seen any and I refuel weekly.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:06 PM, Malc said:

good lord David .  just keep your Ls400 for as long as you can ...  the availability of petrol and longevity of everything else on your Ls400 will long outweigh any so called " advantages " of having, owning and running..........  ££££££ an EV

Malc

I agree - I was just having a senior moment!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

re-purpose battery packs which are no longer of sufficient capacity for road vehicles for use in home storage banks

interestingly we use, what we call in Delhi .  an Inverter .  which is simply a very powerful electric power pack .  in many households and offices which is a precharged up  Battery pack to kick-in when the power clicks off as it so often does in much / most of Delhi from time to time

Just recharged from the ordinary electric plugs in the home whatever .  had them for years in my offices there ........... just repurposing, in your case, an old effective EV Battery maybe ..costs about equiv £100 / 150 in Delhi I think and can last for many years  ( often a week or more wages tho' )  .  and a freshly charged Inverter can last about 4 hrs in constant use ....  one aircon, a few computers, telephony, internet and some lights maybe

Malc

• Like 1

There was a slightly interesting article in the mediocre "Metro" last week, a publication that you have to read to pass some time because your train is cancelled again!  It was about car reliability, with EV's coming at the bottom, followed by diesels, petrol and petrol hybrids being the most reliable. A survey based on owner complaints apparently.

7 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Someone here mentioned they loved V6/V8s.....my last V6 NA car (Nissan 350Z did about 15mpg in town). If petrol prices hit £2/l, that would translate to a fuel cost of £6 per 10 miles in fuel 😲.

Where as my current 6 seater, sub 5 second to 60 second EV is costing me 7p per mile in fuel with with increase in electricity costs factored it. 

My Subaru does around 16 in town, I just put VED for about year, 600 that cost. Some people want to live a little, no chance will I exchange that Subaru for a Nissan Leaf. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

There was a slightly interesting article in the mediocre "Metro" last week, a publication that you have to read to pass some time because your train is cancelled again!  It was about car reliability, with EV's coming at the bottom, followed by diesels, petrol and petrol hybrids being the most reliable. A survey based on owner complaints apparently.

Tell me something I already know.. people have no idea what they are getting into with EVs. My Subaru had replacement CV boots and a rear caliper over its 132 thousand miles. That is the type of reliable car I want, despite its fuel economy is urban areas it's fine once you stretch your legs and it will go above 30mpg which works with me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Tell me something I already know.. people have no idea what they are getting into with EVs. My Subaru had replacement CV boots and a rear caliper over its 132 thousand miles. That is the type of reliable car I want, despite its fuel economy is urban areas it's fine once you stretch your legs and it will go above 30mpg which works with me. 

I also like the way I fill mine to the brim and it says "range approximately 585 miles" That's what I want when I drive to Cornwall! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

You really do not know what your talking about do you?  Absolute rubbish you spout.

My EV can be either programmed or manually via a phone app or remote fob to pre warm the interior before departure, it’s toasty warm in Winter or in hot weather cooled down depending upon ambient temperature.

Pointless debate if you have no real knowledge of EVs.

And as I have told you before, read my post properly and you will see my i3 has 94% battery health not 100%…..digest what you read before typing again.

Your Battery range will plummet , and when you charge your car in the winter you better have a nice cozy house as it will take hours.. you cannot fast charge in winter, you are too dumb to know anything.

So, about your i3, how's the 100 state of charge nowadays?

The state of Michigan is installing 200 charge points by the next two years.. whoop whoop, that's for covering 10 million people. California will need 1.5 million EV charging points to sustain an electric state.

I hope EVs come with electric heated blankets and a subscription to holiday Inn.

17 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I also like the way I fill mine to the brim and it says "range approximately 585 miles" That's what I want when I drive to Cornwall! 

I won't get anything like that but I can get over 400 which is reasonable for a six cylinder car with permanent AWD

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links