Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

8 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Filled up the IS300H for the first time in 6 weeks.....£99 and the thing was only just full!! 

How are you guys who do proper millage in combustion car managing?!

I have told me wife to essentially stop using the IS300H and to use EV unless we have no choice. Am amazed so many people are still able to run RangeRovers etc, they must be getting on £200/tank.

As I’ve said previously, I think a lot of people are managing - like me - because of the shift to more home working. I do feel for those that have no choice but to travel to a place of work as they always did - Doctors, Nurses, Firemen, Police, shop workers (I could go on).

Yesterday, I filled up with BP in Reading at £1.83 a litre, cheaper than the nearby Sainsbury at £1.87 a litre for normal unleaded. Half a tank cost £60 for the RX. That full tank will see me 430 miles or thereabouts.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:36 AM, ganzoom said:

I feel like some of you guys have some real anger issues!! The reason why cities all over are closing off roads is to get people out of their cars. Believe it or not it does make a difference to cyclists.

^^ It’s fair to say that reading this thread I can say with certainty that it’s an emotive subject!

What does worry me - as somebody with a disability - is the feeling that everything transport related is being targeted to the young and healthy. We do have an ageing population, and my personal future doesn’t look rosy if I can’t drive and get where I need to easily. I physically cannot ride a bicycle (never was able to), walking is now getting harder and public transport has access issues along with the need to walk more. Trains are problematic these days, and I can no longer use the Underground due to the walking distances involved. Unless Government gets a grip of access to vehicles for the less affluent as we move to EVs, along with extending public transport but also making sure the vulnerable are protected, things are going to get messy…

As a final aside, I’ve read mention about how Government is going to make up the loss of VED and fuel duty as society moves to an EV future.

The most likely solution imho - and current EV owners will certainly look back to the past and next few years as a ‘golden age’ for low costs - will be a surcharge on every property with an EV charging point, whether domestic, public or industrial. The stated reason for these charges will be to re-invest in the network infrastructure, but we all know it is actually about replacing lost revenue. What will the charge be? For a start probably between £500 and £1000 per annum, added to the electricity bill…

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

as somebody with a disability - is the feeling that everything transport related is being targeted to the young and healthy. We do have an ageing population, and my personal future doesn’t look rosy if I can’t drive and get where I need to easily. I physically cannot ride a bicycle (never was able to), walking is now getting harder and public transport has access issues along with the need to walk more. Trains are problematic these days, and I can no longer use the Underground due to the walking distances involved.

Ed ......  you are just a single one of us very very many with similar issues that feel we are simply going to be targetted and isolated at the behest of the " green brigade " , maybe inadvertently tho',    causing us much discomfort and greater mobility issues in our later years ........  coz we are simply, and it's really as simple as that, being prohibited from getting around 

Malc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Yesterday, I filled up with BP in Reading at £1.83 a litre, cheaper than the nearby Sainsbury at £1.87 a litre for normal unleaded. Half a tank cost £60 for the RX. That full tank will see me 430 miles or thereabouts.

Went past there yesterday and at the BP garage there was a queue out on the road! Don't understand what's going on - the BP has always been either the same as or usually a couple of pence more than Sainsbury’s... In fact it's been quite a bit more than Sainsbury’s over recent weeks. Suddenly the BP is the cheapest around the area - the Sainsbury’s is still one of the cheapest but don't understand how BP suddenly undercut them unless someone somewhere had been overcharging all along... 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Went past there yesterday and at the BP garage there was a queue out on the road! Don't understand what's going on - the BP has always been either the same as or usually a couple of pence more than Sainsbury’s... In fact it's been quite a bit more than Sainsbury’s over recent weeks. Suddenly the BP is the cheapest around the area - the Sainsbury’s is still one of the cheapest but don't understand how BP suddenly undercut them unless someone somewhere had been overcharging all along... 🤔

Fortunately I didn’t have to queue at about 15.30. The irony is I almost went to Sainsbury as I drove past but couldn’t be bothered as I expected it to be really busy and decided to use the BP garage instead without realising the price!!

An unusual stroke of luck…😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Suddenly the BP is the cheapest around the area

our local BP garage is just branded BP it seems ....  MFG is the garage proprietor .....  is that Asda now or is it Morrisons ? ..  and the local Asda and Morrisons charge a different price to that too ...

Pricing is barmy and methinks a bit of a con right now with toooooo much profit being extracted from us impoverished motorists 

Malc

• Like 1

BP is 0.005 cent cheaper than Shell.

Prices climbing close to 1.8€ in this so called IVA/VAT-free zone.

Fewer cars in the streets, but maybe they are just all out on vacation.

We are lucky though, government seems to be regulation electricity price as last month we only paid double of what we paid in January. 2 months ago it was close to triple that amount.

• Sad 1

Speaking with somebody in Portugal earlier, and the situation is exactly the same there re : cost of living increases, petrol and diesel prices etc. The question for Government is what to do about it and what they - realistically - can do about it. A VAT cut on petrol and diesel would seem sensible to me…

Noted this evening that the BP filling station is now at £1.86.9 so yesterday must have been a timing anomaly. I’ll chalk that up as a win for me!

Meanwhile, in other news…

https://news.sky.com/story/households-could-be-offered-cheaper-energy-if-they-cut-usage-at-certain-times-12641301

11 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

A VAT cut on petrol and diesel would seem sensible to me…

and everyone else too I would think  OR indeed a simple reduction in the     PRT     Petroleum Revenue Tax    ....  but that's never going to happen  .. the Govt revenue take all round from fuel duties must be quite startling right now ... BUT,  well,  it has got to pay for the UK missiles etc being sent to help Ukraine blow the EvilPutinee outta the sky, water and ground ............ I don't really mind if it's all ( well my contribution anyway ) going to  " good causes  "

Malc

Surely nobody can be surprised by this story either, repeated across the news networks today…

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jun/27/fuel-retailers-uk-petrol-prices-record-high

Shockingly it suggests that fuel retailers a) haven’t passed on the 5p duty cut, and b) aren’t reflecting the recent falls in wholesale prices. I’m shocked!

😆

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:20 AM, ganzoom said:

Filled up the IS300H for the first time in 6 weeks.....£99 and the thing was only just full!! 

How are you guys who do proper millage in combustion car managing?!

I have told me wife to essentially stop using the IS300H and to use EV unless we have no choice. Am amazed so many people are still able to run RangeRovers etc, they must be getting on £200/tank.

Just drove to Heathrow and back on the M25, M3 and A3 during midday - extremely heavy traffic everywhere. I'm sure these fuel prices are tough for many, but it's clearly not expensive enough. If it helped with traffic, I'd rather see £3 a litre. But it doesn't seem to help. Also, is there a way to make vehicle consume more in Lane 2 and 3? That would be fantastic. I'll never believe the majority of journeys and miles on the roads are necessary. Maybe it's because most of our miles are frankly unnecessary, we drive mostly for shopping and leisure, and we drive lots because where we moved. 

EVs remain unsustainable in the very sense, economically and practically for the majority of car owners (they cost 5-10k more at least for the same car, most don't have home charging option at which point is that inexpensive), and also environmentally, for industrial capacity, and the grid. Let's see in a few years once this fossil peak passes and EV gain more sales, how the fuel vs. electricity costs will look like. Brownouts and stranded EVs are coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All

On the way back from our annual pilgrimage to Cornwall on the way home I paid the most I have ever paid for petrol. $2.05.9p a litre. Gloucester services on the M5 Nth bound. I've put a dollar symbol up because i cant find a pound symbol on this laptop. Interestingly the actual service building is not 24 hrs only the petrol station.

9 hours ago, ALAW said:

$2.05.9p a litre

these are truly barmy prices with excessive profiteering now methinks

oil Brent crude etc prices, the benchmarks, have been in decline most days recently and down to @$110 today and at that price petrol at the pump could be about £1.60'ish or so 

Profiteering in the extreme by those supermarkets selling the stuff .........  I'm taking all my food groceries business to non-petrol selling shops .....  Aldi and Lidl in the future 

Tesco, Morrison, Asda, Sainsbury  CROOKS the blo-ooody lot of 'em

Malc

• Like 4

Does anyone know the reason why some supermarkets have the price board turned off? On purpose or genuine reason? Find it a bit amusing in the current times.

5 minutes ago, drrn said:

Does anyone know the reason why some supermarkets have the price board turned off? On purpose or genuine reason? Find it a bit amusing in the current times.

They are waiting for the spin the wheel in the head office to land on the rip off price to charge today. My last tank I used Esso and not Shell, alas that cost £2.059 per litre for 99 RON

FUEL PANIC over for me ...  I'm just paying .  coz I can .  and I can't worry about those poor souls that can't make ends meet .....  sod the blo--ody supermarkets, CROOKS one and all

I filled up today at  196.7 at my local morisons, cheapest around for E5 it seems  ....  £137.88 .......  making me drive alittle cleverer tho' ....  80.1 ltr tank now seems to give me 480 miles 

Malc

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malc said:

FUEL PANIC over for me ...  I'm just paying .  coz I can .  and I can't worry about those poor souls that can't make ends meet .....  sod the blo--ody supermarkets, CROOKS one and all

I filled up today at  196.7 at my local morisons, cheapest around for E5 it seems  ....  £137.88 .......  making me drive alittle cleverer tho' ....  80.1 ltr tank now seems to give me 480 miles 

Malc

Big tank, wtf do you drive?;

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:57 AM, Malc said:

oil Brent crude etc prices, the benchmarks, have been in decline most days recently and down to @$110 today and at that price petrol at the pump could be about £1.60'ish or so 

Profiteering in the extreme by those supermarkets selling the stuff .........  I'm taking all my food groceries business to non-petrol selling shops .....  Aldi and Lidl in the future 

Malc

Hang on Malc didn't you used to work for Nat West Bank? 🤔😂

12 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Big tank, wtf do you drive?;

just my Ls400 ...  standard petrol tank size .....  a proper UK Army tank might use a tad more :wink3:

Malc

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

didn't you used to work for Nat West Bank?

I did for 23 years and made redundant back in '91 .....  and in 2019 they TOLD  me they were going to close all my accounts .....  I asked why for heaven's sake and they simply said  " we dont need to explain... and we won't " .........  and they never did

Never had any unauthorised overdrafts or loans with them, and always dealt impeccably with all my stuff too ........  never a cross word either .........  totally baffled ..  other than they also had a director with the same name as me ..........  maybe that was it :unsure:

I held onto my shares in the cowboy outfit tho' and wowee, at long last they started to pay a didvidend .........  53p last payout .......  just about a quarter of a ltr of petrol methinks :yahoo:

Cest le Vie  ......  and I have totally sensible, credible and worthwhile being with, bankers now thank heavens ........  if you want recommendations for both personal and business banking do ask ............  I have lots of experience with some of them :wink3:

Malc

• Like 2

just read below thought id share it with you guys.

a cyclist is a disaster for the countrys economy. he doesnt buy cars and doesnt borrow money to buy. he dont pay insurance, fuel repairs ,service, and no repairs needed. he doesnt use paid parking. doesnt cause any major accidents. no need for multi lane highways. he is not getting obese. healthy people are not neccesary or useful to the economy. they are not buying medicine. they dont go to hospitals or doctors. they add nothing to the countrys GDP. on the contrary, each new mcdonalds creates 30 new jobs - actually 10 cardiologists, 10 dietitians and nutritionists - obviously as well as the people that work in the store itself. Choose wisely: a bike or a Mcdonalds? its something to think about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've been down south and made a beeline to Costco in Southampton, after waiting 20 minutes in the queue the reward was 46.18L for £87.70, that's 97 RON. I filled up as I won't be around Costco for a bit 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

You can do both

that guy on the bike ... you know, it could be a lot of hot air ballooning-up :whistling:

Malc

On 7/1/2022 at 9:57 AM, Malc said:

Malc

Agree Malc they are all at it. My mate regularly goes to Spain stays at a relatives says you get 20% off every litre of fuel you buy.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links