Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Petty niggles

beyond the blue

What petty (get a life) niggles do you have with your ES?

Mine so far are...

No finger cut out in the sun visors.

No pull down loop on the rear armrest.

Trying to locate that little latch to lift the bonnet.

Not being able to keep LTA turned off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

Trying to locate that little latch to lift the bonnet.

Is that the safe catch above the radiator? I've found that following the line of the upward slanted 'L' on the Lexus grill badge points the way to the little lever

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an annoying intermittent rattle/tap from the rear of the cabin, I have a problem with my alloys as detailed in another thread and my car is waiting to go back to Lexus leicester where they have promised to sort both issues out, fingers crossed. 

9 minutes ago, Derant said:

I have an annoying intermittent rattle/tap from the rear of the cabin, I have a problem with my alloys as detailed in another thread and my car is waiting to go back to Lexus leicester where they have promised to sort both issues out, fingers crossed. 

Guaranteed the rattle will stop the second you pull up on their forecourt.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Guaranteed the rattle will stop the second you pull up on their forecourt.

I know!!!! .I have taped down the window blinds, grab handles, seat belts everything, it’s still there, the car is so quiet and relaxed that it just makes it louder. I am really a laid back  customer but I just had to say something, they did say there has been an issue with grab handles and I am not the first ES with a rattle, the last one took over a week to sort out

10 minutes ago, Derant said:

I know!!!! .I have taped down the window blinds, grab handles, seat belts everything, it’s still there, the car is so quiet and relaxed that it just makes it louder. I am really a laid back  customer but I just had to say something, they did say there has been an issue with grab handles and I am not the first ES with a rattle, the last one took over a week to sort out

Derant. I had a rattle that appeared to be eminating from the grab handle area. After two trips to lexus leicester it was fixed. Apparently there is some wiring clips that came loose in the roof lining. Not sure if that would help 

27 minutes ago, george72 said:

Derant. I had a rattle that appeared to be eminating from the grab handle area. After two trips to lexus leicester it was fixed. Apparently there is some wiring clips that came loose in the roof lining. Not sure if that would help 

Sounds like you are the case they were quoting, thank you

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

The boot sounds cheap and tinny when latching closed.

And the fact that the arms protrude into boot space

in fact the whole boot is annoying without the fold down seats 

I know it’s because of batteries, but they could fold down anyway even if it leaves the lip. They could actually have a lift up floor that makes the whole lot flat.

15 hours ago, Tonyw said:

And the fact that the arms protrude into boot space

in fact the whole boot is annoying without the fold down seats 

I know it’s because of batteries, but they could fold down anyway even if it leaves the lip. They could actually have a lift up floor that makes the whole lot flat.

I thought it was because of cross bracing for structural rigidity behind the rear seats?

3 hours ago, peniole said:

I thought it was because of cross bracing for structural rigidity behind the rear seats?

Yes that’s correct, the batteries are underneath the rear seat, it’s the large cross brace that prevents having folding seats.

incidently I read an American review of the ES against the Toyota Avalon as they are based on the same platform, the Avalon has no brace and folding rear seats but the tester did notice that under hard braking the ES was the better car as the Avalon tended to skit around, they put this down to the ES having the cross brace along with a few other platform modifications 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:37 AM, Mincey said:

It's a Lexus thing - my IS300h was the same.

Maybe it’s a new Lexus thing, as our IS250 and GSF boot lid feels solid. 

Possibly a weight saving measure? 

On 2/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, Tonyw said:

Having to remember to press a button to fold the wing mirrors in before I turn off the car

Tony, you are absolutely right. On upper models the mirrors fold-in on switch-off. Given that the mirrors are servo'd it's a mean move by Lexus to disable this facility.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, F.A. said:

Agree 100% - my IS250 boot lid would have survived a nuclear attack.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, F.A. said:

Yep definitely weight saving.

Seems to be on all newer cars nowadays - had a C-Class coupe courtesy car the other day and it was the same

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fuel filler flap needs a heating element building in to it. Why oh why oh why haven't Lexus thought of this? Do they not make many sales in frosty climes? Spare a thought for the poor taxi drivers/airport transport drivers who have to frantically try to open the flap when it is frozen shut whilst enduring the tuts of people behind them in the queue.

28 minutes ago, Mincey said:

The fuel filler flap needs a heating element building in to it. Why oh why oh why haven't Lexus thought of this? …

I assume this is an ES-specific niggle. I have often been pleasantly surprised at how the fuel flap and cap in several generations of the IS/RC have opened easily in sub-zero temperatures while  the doors and boot require a hard and disturbingly crunchy-sounding pull to get unstuck. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I assume this is an ES-specific niggle. I have often been pleasantly surprised at how the fuel flap and cap in several generations of the IS/RC have opened easily in sub-zero temperatures while  the doors and boot require a hard and disturbingly crunchy-sounding pull to get unstuck. 

A relatively large gap around the filler flap and no rubber seals help there Renato 😉

I find a generous application of Gummi Pflege on the door edge seals works wonders in stopping the glass freezing to them. 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links