Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Death knell of thr older rx models

With the price of fuel at the moment and seems its only going one way, is the rx petrol going to be a dinosaur model ?

I have a 2012 and petrol is about 2 euro  litre. I have started really focusing on driving style and last night managed to get over 40mpg. Will be keeping an eye on it going forward.

Screenshot_20220314-132109_Gallery.jpg

14 minutes ago, RonsonSJohnson said:

With the price of fuel at the moment and seems its only going one way

you're being overly pessimistic Ronan ......  price is only going up up up coz that evil terrorist is still Tsar of all the Russias .....          reading a few of his " close " KGB ( equiv ) guys have been despatched so it's quite likely some will get close enough to pop a bullet in his head and dispose of this terrorist and then, with it, fuel prices will return to some sort of normality I'm quite sure

Have faith that evil will go ............. and fuel prices will go down too

Malc

I agree.  I made the decision to buy an RX350 in 2010 instead of a 400 or 450.  At that time although the new price of the 2006/7450 was only about £3K  more than  the 350 the SH price was about £7-8K more.  You get a lot of petrol for £8K!

In any event fuel cost is not the biggest part of running a car for most people unless you do a very large mileage such as reps or taxi drivers.  Also the servicing of the 350 is much simpler tanthe450 and can be done by my local garage which is both cheaper and less tedious than travelling to the nearest Lexus agent (about 60 miles roundtrip).  I haven't  regretted the decision over the past 12 odd years.  Additionally, given the present situation over Russian gas and sanctions etc it seems very likely that the Net Zero nonsense will be reviewed and UK will become self sufficient for gas and oil in the near future. If the numbers of electric car users increases much more then the lost revenue form car tax and fuel duty will need to be replaced so the "free ride" for EVs will stop and they will end up costing about the same as running a petrol car now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonsonSJohnson said:

With the price of fuel at the moment and seems its only going one way, is the rx petrol going to be a dinosaur model ?

You haven't got an RX petrol, you've got a hybrid.

Given the size and weight of the car, a petrol only RX would do well to return 20mpg but my 450h regularly gets 35+

I can live with that.

• Like 2

In the medium term, energy prices will remain high. That's because our government is like a number of other Western Governments wedded to "Net Zero" as a policy for the near future. They are as zealous in their push to wean us of fossil fuels as they were to stop people smoking. 

If they haven't reduced fuel duty by now in a bit to soften the blow, I don't think they are going to any time soon. 

I'm just glad unlike the poor Scots in the North, our Government hasn't started messing about with alcohol prices too much.  I mean how would our teenagers cope without a ready supply of cheap cider? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphius1 said:

In the medium term, energy prices will remain high. That's because our government is like a number of other Western Governments wedded to "Net Zero" as a policy for the near future. They are as zealous in their push to wean us of fossil fuels as they were to stop people smoking. 

I agree, but surely even a blind man on the No.87 bus can see that we just cannot possibly do away with fossil fuels until we have a viable alternative in place beforehand.

We are woefully short of doing that yet so we need new oil and gas fields, and maybe even start digging for coal again, to avoid being held to ransom by the foreign powers who supply our energy needs.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

25mpg, which is about 30ppm from my 2006 rx400h on E10, at £7.30 a gallon round here. Spends most of it's time parked up as I can't justify the fuel costs - as I have a little 1 litre hatchback, unless we are going out as a family and need the space.

1 hour ago, b4u2 said:

Does anyone ealistically think the prcies of fuel will go down?

YES      for sure when the mad terroist nutter Poo  Tin   has been emoved from Tsar like power and the world reverts to the UAE, much of South America and Russia again together with the USA and UK producing far more oil than it's humanly possible to use on a day to day basis ......  supply and normal demand will revert....  and prices will become Market LED .  as ever before

Malc

Fancy he will be around for a while longer (a lot)

The hero of the day before he was beautified………

This one from the BBC a good few years back that our new censors have clearly missed showing his stormtroopers.

13 hours ago, VFR said:

Fancy he will be around for a while longer (a lot)

The hero of the day before he was beautified………

This one from the BBC a good few years back that our new censors have clearly missed showing his stormtroopers.

Not quite sure why you posted these here and to what end? 🤔

just in case the evil in him reverts to blossoming and he can be identified in all manner and style by some of those amazing " snipers " to remove him, you know, scrubbed out like an irritant flea or bug on your windscreen

Malc

sorry we digress .........  topic of the moment 

YES       bring the evil bugger down and fuel prices will follow downwards I'm quite sure  :wink3:

I'm afraid its all a bit more complicated than Putin in or out. Russia is basically the petrol station of Europe and currently supplies around 100 million m3 of gas per day into Europe. Different countries have different needs and for instance turkey, Italy and Germany are almost fully dependent on that gas. Due to the sheer volume it will not be possible to find a quick replacement. For instance American gas can be liquefied and transported in tankers to Europe but at most this can replace 10 % of the needs. Gas goes for 110 euro per megawatt hour on the exchange today and the day the war started this jumped to 345. Current threat from Russia is that if all is not paid in rubles they will stop supply. This or the war spiraling out of control can create havoc in the energy markets and oil and petrol are closely connected. It could well take some time before petrol prices come back to 2021 levels. 

11 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

It could well take some time before petrol prices come back to 2021 levels. 

yes for sure sadly ...  so the sooner the ultimate Terroist is snuffed out the sooner supplies will get back to some sort of sensible balance ......  happy to buy all the Russian output forever, in Roubles, Euros, Dollars .  even gbp ££  .. provided it's controlled by someone with an ounce of sanity towards humankind ....  for God's sake remove this evil nutcase ......  I'm sure Russia has many great statesmen in the wings just waiting to come forward to make Russia Great Again

NOW .  going back a year or two i remember that Brazil was the economy to watch out for ..  bigger than the UK in world parlance ...... and simply summat to do with their immense offshore oil and/or gas reserves that were too expensive to extract at the then ambient world pricing .....  maybe that's all changing right now and Brazil will be the next ideal quality regular supplier for  ..  Europe .....  c'mon BP, what's going on next ?  ....  please tell

Malc

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Are you promoting some form of moral equivalence? 

What I posted was a couple of videos from a good few years back that will show (if you wish to look) who we are dealing with in Ukraine & as one was by the BBC it can hardly be filled in the conspiracy folder as “any” opinion that does not follow the Hate Hate Hate agenda that seems to be the MSM agenda.

Yes I do not subscribe to the hate Russia agenda and the media frenzy. 

Nothing I have seen (on videos with Putin) over the past decade has lead me to think that he is a raving lunatic, quite the opposite with countless comments (overwhelming in fact) by viewers praising him as a leader.

Sorry if that upsets anyone and like you hope things can get back to normal ASAP

2 hours ago, VFR said:

by viewers praising him as a leader.

methinks Hitler had much standing ovation and praise too  ....  thankfully that's past

I'm seeing what looks like Aleppo in much of Ukraine and Assad refusing to comply with request to send his own crack troops / militia or whatever to assist the destruction of humanity in Ukraine .......  maybe Assad has learnt a few lessons too ..... too late tho' methinks, I feel sure he will follow Saddam and Ceausescu with their natural outcomes ...  time will tell eh !

Malc

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 3:23 PM, Herbie said:

You haven't got an RX petrol, you've got a hybrid.

Given the size and weight of the car, a petrol only RX would do well to return 20mpg but my 450h regularly gets 35+

I can live with that.

My RX300 returns about 30 but it's special 😄 (2.4L)

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, b4u2 said:

Does anyone ealistically think the prcies of fuel will go down?

Still dreaming of those 99p a litre days!

I think we're all being taken for fools again. I can see fuel being high for some time, and then suddenly it'll come down to £1.50 a litre, then we'll all brush our brows in relief and say "phew, that's more like it" and forget that 1.50 is still way above what it was, but we'll be so glad that it's no longer £1.70 or more that we won't complain.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links