Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Blue motorway? Sign displayed

38 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

He was on  a single track road I think Johan.

That is true, but the car thinks it is on a Motorway - Who are we to disagree with the Tech?

Enjoy the ability to have any control over your car and the driving while it lasts.

• Confused 1

Is there a motorway in close proximity?

I've sometimes had the opposite happen, when the car has, for example, displayed a 30 sign but I was actually on the motorway at the time.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Is there a motorway in close proximity?

I've sometimes had the opposite happen, when the car has, for example, displayed a 30 sign but I was actually on the motorway at the time.

Hi Herbie, I did cross over the M1 about 5 mins earlier. Think it's just a glitch 

• Like 1

On a 2019 UX I believe the motorway sign is picked up by the camera for automatic road sign recognition.   Perhaps there was a sign not long before with directions to a motorway?  Lexus describes the road sign recognition here:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/discover-lexus/safety/road-sign-assist#/

It is fair to say that the capabilities of the system are, in my experience, somewhat less than those stated on the web page.  Mine often does not recognise dynamic speed limits on motorways....  As I have said several times to Lexus regarding their use of technology.... it needs to work, or you should just remove it.  A driver aid is supposed to make things easier - if incorrect road signs are shown on the screen, this is making things worse, not easier.  The old speed limits shown on the map that were looked up in a database were reliable and accurate (if you kept your maps up to date.)  The current camera based system is not, unfortunately.  

Paul

4 hours ago, PDM said:

On a 2019 UX I believe the motorway sign is picked up by the camera for automatic road sign recognition.   Perhaps there was a sign not long before with directions to a motorway?  Lexus describes the road sign recognition here:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/discover-lexus/safety/road-sign-assist#/

It is fair to say that the capabilities of the system are, in my experience, somewhat less than those stated on the web page.  Mine often does not recognise dynamic speed limits on motorways....  As I have said several times to Lexus regarding their use of technology.... it needs to work, or you should just remove it.  A driver aid is supposed to make things easier - if incorrect road signs are shown on the screen, this is making things worse, not easier.  The old speed limits shown on the map that were looked up in a database were reliable and accurate (if you kept your maps up to date.)  The current camera based system is not, unfortunately.  

Paul

Most of the time the camera system is fairly accurate though and does pick up most speed signs so in that regard it is a driver aid.

As always though, its a driver aid as its supposed to be used in conjunction with the driver, hence the quite obvious name. Unfortunately therefore, it does rely on an element of common sense on the drivers part in knowing that a road is not a motorway, or a motorway is not a 30mph road.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Most of the time the camera system is fairly accurate though and does pick up most speed signs so in that regard it is a driver aid.

As always though, its a driver aid as its supposed to be used in conjunction with the driver, hence the quite obvious name. Unfortunately therefore, it does rely on an element of common sense on the drivers part in knowing that a road is not a motorway, or a motorway is not a 30mph road.

Hi Rayaan,

I would guess the vast majority of use for road sign assist is for speed limits, not to determine if one is or is not on a motorway.  I would say on my car, 10% of the time it fails on recognising speed limits.  I think a 10% failure of an automated system like this is poor and I still think that being presented with no information is better than being presented with incorrect information.  If the whole point of this aid is to help me if I miss a speed limit sign on an unfamiliar road, what is the point if I cannot trust the data it is displaying?  The old GPS based speed limit look up was more accurate if your maps were up to date.

I understand why the camera based solution is inaccurate, but I would like the accuracy to be better before the technology was introduced.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PDM said:

I understand why the camera based solution is inaccurate, but I would like the accuracy to be better before the technology was introduced.

So if simple sign recognition is not reliable (same thing happens in my Gen 4 RX) who would trust a fully autonomous vehicle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Mine sometimes picks up the speed restriction sign on the back of a lorry :laughing:

Hi Herbie,

I think there is actually a technical services bulletin software update for the road sign assist ECU to solve that specific problem! Next time I'm logged in to Lexus tech I'll try to find it.

Paul

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi Rayaan,

I would guess the vast majority of use for road sign assist is for speed limits, not to determine if one is or is not on a motorway.  I would say on my car, 10% of the time it fails on recognising speed limits.  I think a 10% failure of an automated system like this is poor and I still think that being presented with no information is better than being presented with incorrect information.  If the whole point of this aid is to help me if I miss a speed limit sign on an unfamiliar road, what is the point if I cannot trust the data it is displaying?  The old GPS based speed limit look up was more accurate if your maps were up to date.

Paul

Well its not massively inaccurate.

The camera based system seems to pick up on most speed signs. The problem is that it picks up on max speed signs that are on the back of lorries and vans too and theres no way of the system knowing which one is which. 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:17 PM, Herbie said:

Mine sometimes picks up the speed restriction sign on the back of a lorry :laughing:

Herbie,

It's BE-00176L-TME and BE-00189L-TME, both from 2019, that improve road sign assist and should stop it picking up speed limits from the back of lorries! (That is one issue that is specifically listed as a fix!)

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links