Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sun damage to dash

Winston

I was wondering If I have to worry about sun damage on the dash of the LC 500

its my first Lexus and with the current heatwave do I need to cover dash or is it not a problem 

I had a Vantage a few years ago and they were known for cracking up in the heat

I’ve noticed in warmer places like GC people put a dash cover over the dash or completely cover the windscreen.

Given the UK climate just avoid exposure to the couple of weeks sunshine we have or put a towel over it.

I did notice my old Celsior had dash lift near the windscreen but probably due to 12 years of Japanese climate.

Old Rover 800s we’re renowned for the “curly dash problem”

Just buy a good-quality common-or-garden folding aluminium foil sunshade, plain on the one side and whatever colour suits your cabin trim on the other, e.g. red.  Position it against the windscreen or the rear window according to where the sun is going to beat when you park, and it will not only protect most of the cabin surfaces from the rays but also significantly (though not greatly) reduce the cabin temperature.  Folded flat it will store easily out of sight behind (or under) your seat. 

• Like 2

That is a good question. I have not figured out what the material is, do you know? If leather I would be concerned as leather has a tendency to dry out and crack over time.

Thanks for your replies 

I think I will just get a folding aluminium cover and just put it on on the hot days in the summer as it’s seems from what you say that there has been no issues.

as there is a mix of materials and would be worried about damaging the dash if I put wrong type of spray on.

Other comments welcome 

Yes, if there is the slightest doubt about the dashboard’s resistance to extreme direct heat, covering is the safest choice regardless of any protective treatment it may have received.

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

…but also significantly (though not greatly) …

At the risk of sounding pedantic, is that not a contradiction! 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RiverFred said:

That is a good question. I have not figured out what the material is, do you know? If leather I would be concerned as leather has a tendency to dry out and crack over time.

It is leather but modern leather is so processed nowadays it really will be no issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4f65a0ddf894317ef80023e24529b03a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.74745fd6a891bd4dbda87052adf760b7.jpeg

Looks tailor-made for the car. Protecting well against UV, but does it not keep the heat?

55 minutes ago, rayaans said:

It is leather but modern leather is so processed nowadays it really will be no issue

I do not think there is any natural leather in the car we have. It feels good and is still looking new, but does not come from an animal. Vegan leather, gully synthetic.

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

At the risk of sounding pedantic, is that not a contradiction! 😉

At the risk of responding to pedantry with more pedantry, I would say that  “significant” and “great” are not synonyms and nor are the corresponding adverbs.  And when juxtaposed, as the latter were in my OP, they describe a slightness of difference.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

At the risk of responding to pedantry with more pedantry, I would say that  “significant” and “great” are not synonyms and nor are the corresponding adverbs.  And when juxtaposed, as the latter were in my OP, they describe a slightness of difference.

Ever thought about going into politics?  My comment was supposed to be lighthearted!

• Haha 1

Sorry but aren't these materials all designed/selected to withstand in-cabin temperatures and UV levels from Kent to Kyoto? It's not like the car in question is sitting in the Arizona sunshine for 20yrs!

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

Wasn’t mine?!

Without being too fastidious, fussy, finicky of punctilious,

I think you are both a being a little overly perfectionist 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Sorry but aren't these materials all designed/selected to withstand in-cabin temperatures and UV levels from Kent to Kyoto? It's not like the car in question is sitting in the Arizona sunshine for 20yrs!

I have the tan colour (forgotten proper name) and I am sure it will discolour even if it doesn’t crack up.

I have a sofa a very similar colour at home and after 3 years the side of it that faces the window is almost white.

6 minutes ago, Winston said:

I have the tan colour (forgotten proper name) and I am sure it will discolour even if it doesn’t crack up.

I have a sofa a very similar colour at home and after 3 years the side of it that faces the window is almost white.

TBF sofas aren't designed to survive extreme heat and UV.

I have red leather interior in my RC and it sits in the full sun, the rear screen faces the sun in the hottest part of the day. The rear head restraints are still the same shade as those parts not in direct sunlight. OK, only 3yrs old but I doubt I'll see a change in my lifetime.

Automotive leathers are all coloured with UV resistant dyes and PU coated. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

1 hour ago, Winston said:

Without being too fastidious, fussy, finicky of punctilious,

I think you are both a being a little overly perfectionist 

A problem with owning a Lexus I’d imagine!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Winston said:

I was wondering If I have to worry about sun damage on the dash of the LC 500

its my first Lexus and with the current heatwave do I need to cover dash or is it not a problem 

I had a Vantage a few years ago and they were known for cracking up in the heat

Generally, Lexus dash is good enough for 10 years and presumably newer Lexus cars can survive even longer. In UK sun damage generally is not common issue, but there are steps you can take to prevent it and there are things to avoid. To prevent it it is best to keep the dash clean and ideally covered with UV protecting sealant, specifically for dash and interiors. What should be avoided - cheap valeting where they tend to use oily (actually it is silicone) interior dressings which usually have very shiny appearance and chemical smells. The problem with these, apart that they shiny and slick for no reason is that they use attract dirt (which is what causes damage to dash) and chemical solvents which required for chemical smells.

So in short - do nothing just wipe the dust with dry microfiber and it will last 10+ years without issues. Apply correct protection and it will last practically forever, or use cheap valet where they will apply cheap mud which attracts dirt and degrades dash with solvents and it may fail in like 8 years. 

9 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I have red leather interior in my RC and it sits in the full sun, the rear screen faces the sun in the hottest part of the day. The rear head restraints are still the same shade as those parts not in direct sunlight. OK, only 3yrs old ....

Same here.  No discolouration whatsoever.  But the backs of the rear headrests and the tops of the seatbacks feel a little harder and drier to the touch than the unexposed surfaces.  Also, the surface of the black leather-covered "dome" on the dashboard seems to want more frequent "moisturising" after routine dusting than it originally did.

14 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Looks tailor-made for the car. Protecting well against UV, but does it not keep the heat?

I do not think there is any natural leather in the car we have. It feels good and is still looking new, but does not come from an animal. Vegan leather, gully synthetic.

it is tailor made and off eBay, they do for lots of makes. it remains cool and also reduces reflection from dash.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links