Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Main dealer or used car dealer

Hi all just seen a blue GS F for sale on Lexus website 66 plate same as the long running one that's on AT for considerably more money.

My question is, will the near identical car for sale via Lexus dealer sell before the one that seems to have been for sale forever on AT ....place your bets please.

Hmm, a £5k saving versus 10k less miles, a more desirable interior, and main dealer backing.  It would depended who is looking for one at the time and which they feel is more important to them.

3 hours ago, Duggie B said:

My question is, will the near identical car for sale via Lexus dealer sell before the one that seems to have been for sale forever on AT ....place your bets please.

If it has full service history and covered by the Relax warranty there is really no reason to avoid a good independent trader.

• Like 3

Wow, the main dealer one is serious money. It will be interesting to see how quick it sells, although Lexus Swindow seem to be the dealer that have shifted a few F cars in recent times. 

The Swindon car doesn’t have AVS where as the independent car does. I understand both are good set ups so it depends on how important that is also, to the buyer. 

14 hours ago, F.A. said:

Wow, the main dealer one is serious money. It will be interesting to see how quick it sells, although Lexus Swindow seem to be the dealer that have shifted a few F cars in recent times. 

The Swindon car doesn’t have AVS where as the independent car does. I understand both are good set ups so it depends on how important that is also, to the buyer. 

If it were me I'd go for the one with AVS, Lexus dealers are a pain in the proverbial and don't deserve to sell any cars due to the non-discount attitude/policy they seem to run. I couldn't get a cash discount for my car when I bought it but they gave me a mug! Was that symbolic?

I would ask the dealer to send you a photo of the engine bay with the top of the struts in the picture because I have found that many get it wrong about having AVS so would definitely worth double checking. Or phone them and ask if there are any wires coming out of the top of the front struts.

Wow, that GSF better be 100% mint with impeccable service history for that money.

8 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Lexus dealers are a pain in the proverbial and don't deserve to sell any cars due to the non-discount attitude/policy they seem to run. I couldn't get a cash discount for my car when I bought it but they gave me a mug!

I think all dealers are like this now unfortunately. The sales staff make commissions from selling finance and all the add-ons they try to sell you so they are less interested in cash buyers. Don't tell them you're paying cash, it won't do you any favours. Sometimes they want to know if you're a cash buyer right from the start (mine was like this). They always get a disappointed look on their face when you tell them. If they won't budge on price then you just have to think about other ways to get a good deal. Ask them to fix any and all niggles you can find with the car (they usually offer to do so as soon as you point them out). Ask them to wash the car so you can see the paint condition properly (they are often dirty). Ask them to get it up on a lift so you can look at the underbody. If you're trading in a car, reject their trade-in price and ask for more.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:36 PM, Spock66 said:

If it has full service history and covered by the Relax warranty there is really no reason to avoid a good independent trader.

Agree with this, if it has FLSH and qualifies for RELAX, then no reason to favor main dealer as you can go straight to Lexus with any problems on day 1 anyway.

However, get a finance quote from both (assuming you are not cash buyer) as @Arnett is right, Lexus might offer better APR and therefore cheaper deal over the 3,4,5 year term.

Very true the vehicle would be covered by the RELAX warranty,  but, would any individual in the market for either of the GS F' on sale be more inclined to feel on safer ground buying from a Lexus dealer rather than from outside the network regardless of the price difference, RELAX, etc etc 🤔

Yes, whilst Relax is a good warranty, it’s not the most comprehensive. I would imagine the Lexus dealer would be more inclined to fix things that are not covered, than the independent should something crop up shortly after the sale. 

I for one felt "safer" buying from the dealer especially with this type of marque/car (GS F) even with the known dealer mark up....never know keep hold of it long enough I might break even !!! 😂

Without having seen either car either car it is very hard to say. Generally, there isn't much of the difference whenever you buy car from Lexus dealer or independent, they are all equally dirty when it comes to used car sales and always runs on very tight budget. Getting it from Lexus get's you 1 year warranty, but it being a Lexus you get 1 year warranty either way as soon as you service the car. Non-dealer is more likely to agree lower price, as well they may have better financing rates, more open to PX for more reasonable price etc. 

I think which is in better condition and cheaper will sell first regardless of who are selling it. I don't believe buying from Lexus dealer adds that much value. 

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

Yes, whilst Relax is a good warranty, it’s not the most comprehensive. I would imagine the Lexus dealer would be more inclined to fix things that are not covered, than the independent should something crop up shortly after the sale. 

Both Lexus and Independent are under same obligations. The only thing that matters is having agreed everything in writing, Lexus won't agree to do anything unless it can be proven from e-mail or document and there is risk for legal or misselling claim. They sold me car without brake pads and 3000 miles later said "it may be my driving style", the problem was that they failed to do pre-sales inspection when I asked for them in writing before they sold me the car and I had it stated in the e-mail that "brake disks seems worn and brake pads seems like they are low, could you do inspection to check" and they responded to the e-mail that they have "done inspection and they passed". 3000 miles later it was metal on metal. To be fair when I told them I will consider this to be mis-selling and I take them to trending standards or if needed to court, then to be fair to them they replaced all bake components all around without much more fuss free of charge for £1220. 

What I am saying - thinking that Lexus dealer is more trustworthy on used car sales is false sense of security. Have everything in writing and you won't have any issues regardless if it is Lexus or Independent, but agree everything verbally and it will come to bite you in the back side. 

• Like 1

Just noticed both the blue GSF are same registered plate area (Reading RF66 ***) also the Lexus one featured on Jayemm you tube channel....thought I recognised the plate RF66 HBB.

The main difference between the main dealer and independent in my experience is 100+ point inspection they do as part of the preparation. This involves them changing tyres, brakes etc if they fall below a minimum level which an independent would try and avoid or replace with cheap parts.

I once viewed a BMW pre multi point inspection and agreed to buy it. The dealer rang me later to say after inspection it was going to need 4 new tyres, brakes all around, and a new splitter and it was no longer viable for them to sell under their approved used scheme. It went through auction and a week later turned up at a local garage being sold with the same tyres and brakes BMW had rejected and a cheap repair on the splitter.

1 hour ago, C.B said:

The main difference between the main dealer and independent in my experience is 100+ point inspection they do as part of the preparation. This involves them changing tyres, brakes etc if they fall below a minimum level which an independent would try and avoid or replace with cheap parts.

I once viewed a BMW pre multi point inspection and agreed to buy it. The dealer rang me later to say after inspection it was going to need 4 new tyres, brakes all around, and a new splitter and it was no longer viable for them to sell under their approved used scheme. It went through auction and a week later turned up at a local garage being sold with the same tyres and brakes BMW had rejected and a cheap repair on the splitter.

It really depends... maybe some dealers does it, but as I said Lexus dealer sold me the car without brakes, despite me pointing out that brakes looks suspiciously worn out, despite it having Lexus Used/Approved inspection done 2 month ago and despite me asking to repeat the inspection, which they agreed to do in writing, but never did. As well there was IS300h sold to member on the forum... which had new tyres... yes. And those tyres were of "well known and trusted brand" Triangle (for like £40 each). Same story with another member who got GS450h for Lexus with two different tyres in the front (I believe one PS3 or PS4  and other Primacy 3) and two brand new and exciting "Runway" (probably should be called - run away!) tyres on the rear.

This leads me to believe "Used Approved" 170 points inspection is no better than me poking the car with a stick myself. And I found it unacceptable that they fit budget dichfinders to what is premium car and in case of GS450h quite powerful one as well. It is certainly not replacement for thorough independent or personal inspection, nor it should be relied upon unless car condition is agreed in writing before deposit is paid.

With there being so few of the F cars around, I'd go and see both cars and pick which one is best if possible, do all the necessary history, service checks etc etc. As others have mentioned, If a car at an independent qualifys for Lexus relax, it will come down to the lifetime cost on finance, if you're buying out right, get the best value for money. 

My car came from a main dealer with smashed glass in the boot and spare wheel area, the previous owners chewing gum, and their child's hotwheels toy, worst buying experience I've ever had and never again👍. I got had big time and its cost me a lot to get the car up to spec.

Obviously the 170 point plan is not applied at Lexus Coventry and I don't recommend a free drink from them, let alone a car. 

Not all dealerships are the same, that's why I recommend seeing each car and evaluating before deciding.

What @Linas.P has said is right, I've got things in writing and the Lexus dealership did nothing to remedy anything or give me a refund. 

56 minutes ago, 4969_LXS said:

Not all dealerships are the same,

Very true statement but I must say my dealership (Lexus Sidcup) where I purchased my GS 300h F sport and still take for service etc were very good with regard to their customer care, upon inspecting my car prior to purchase I spotted some slight curb rash to nearside alloy, I duly mentioned it and it was taken care of before delivery, also to note upon having the car for approx one week I noticed some 'dents' in the front bumper not obvious to the eye but noticeable when the garage light hit it at a certain angle, luckily for me I had taken pictures of the car, like you do when making a prospective purchase, and low and behold there were the indentations almost like a parking nudge, car was taken back no quibbles, brand new RC 300h F Sport waiting for me as a courtesy car whilst dealer sorted the issue.

Also a shout out to Maidstone who look after my F 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duggie B said:

Very true statement but I must say my dealership (Lexus Sidcup) where I purchased my GS 300h F sport and still take for service etc were very good with regard to their customer care, upon inspecting my car prior to purchase I spotted some slight curb rash to nearside alloy, I duly mentioned it and it was taken care of before delivery, also to note upon having the car for approx one week I noticed some 'dents' in the front bumper not obvious to the eye but noticeable when the garage light hit it at a certain angle, luckily for me I had taken pictures of the car, like you do when making a prospective purchase, and low and behold there were the indentations almost like a parking nudge, car was taken back no quibbles, brand new RC 300h F Sport waiting for me as a courtesy car whilst dealer sorted the issue.

Also a shout out to Maidstone who look after my F 

Same experience for my GS when I bought it from Sidcup.

True, they should have prepared it better as some of the faults were very obvious, but no quibble in getting everything repaired once I pointed them out.  Lent me the sales manager's RX450 for a week whilst taking care of mine as well.

I would like add that my experience at Lexus Swindon was very good also, car was in particularly good condition when I collected.  I bought it unseen based upon their reputation within the community, they could of taken the ***** and I wouldn’t have known but they didn’t.

20 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

My car came from a main dealer with smashed glass in the boot and spare wheel area, the previous owners chewing gum, and their child's hotwheels toy, worst buying experience I've ever had and never again👍. I got had big time and its cost me a lot to get the car up to spec.

Sounds terrible. Broken glass in the boot! Did you see that before buying the car or was it under the boot floor/cover?

I hope that didn't take away from your enjoyment of the car. It looked lovely when I saw it at Japfest.

My experience with Lexus dealers is a bit mixed and it seems to depend mostly on which staff member you get. The good ones are great and give you that special feeling a little bit, like you're a valued customer and they are there to take care of you. Other times it's average, where they do the job "fine", but don't seem terribly competent. McDonalds, for example, has way better and more consistent customer service most of the time.

I didn't see it until after I bought the car. I wasn't given much opportunity to inspect at the dealership, I didn't  help myself as I was under the illusion I was going to a Lexus dealership and wouldn't have any issues which was a monumental oversight, one of life's lessons for me.

Some bits were in the corners of the boot, most were underneath the spare wheel cover and in the wheel well, with more pieces falling out of the boot ceiling liner. 

Before anyone says, yes I knew it was a second hand car, and yes I know everything has a past, but that was just a disgrace. From reading around, I wasn't the only one to suffer from this dealership either. 

@Rob RCF the experience will always have a slight taint to it, I got it exactly how I wanted it before Japfest and she looks the part now. Be good if we can do a club meet up in the middle, the south one is too far for me. The cars looked great together at Japfest. 

20200524_140810.jpg

20200524_140816.jpg

20200524_140922.jpg

20200524_150732.jpg

20200524_150600.jpg

59 minutes ago, 4969_LXS said:

I didn't see it until after I bought the car. I wasn't given much opportunity to inspect at the dealership, I didn't  help myself as I was under the illusion I was going to a Lexus dealership and wouldn't have any issues which was a monumental oversight, one of life's lessons for me.

Some bits were in the corners of the boot, most were underneath the spare wheel cover and in the wheel well, with more pieces falling out of the boot ceiling liner. 

Before anyone says, yes I knew it was a second hand car, and yes I know everything has a past, but that was just a disgrace. From reading around, I wasn't the only one to suffer from this dealership either. 

@Rob RCF the experience will always have a slight taint to it, I got it exactly how I wanted it before Japfest and she looks the part now. Be good if we can do a club meet up in the middle, the south one is too far for me. The cars looked great together at Japfest. 

20200524_140810.jpg

20200524_140816.jpg

20200524_140922.jpg

20200524_150732.jpg

20200524_150600.jpg

Typical dealer across the board. As for the 71 point check list, forget it, that's just a myth 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Yes unfortunately it does seem like you have to treat main dealers almost like a private sale and and do just as much due diligence when inspecting the car. It's a shame because one of the main reasons people go to the dealer is to avoid stuff like that.

Was great meeting you at Japfest and I agree it would be nice to do another meet of some kind. Seems like we have concentrations of people in the South and others in the North with not many in between making it a bit harder to decide on locations.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links