Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Journey Towards Owning A RX450H

The car that I was driving a year ago was a Range Rover. The vehicle was approaching 3 years old, so I and was looking to replace the vehicle with a newer model. A test drive was arranged for me at the local Land Rover dealership. After the test drive I wanted to place an order for the vehicle, I was told that due to silicone chip shortages certain items would be omitted from the vehicle - HUD/ interactive driver display/surround camera view/only 1 vehicle key supplied. The delivery time for the vehicle would be over 1 year. The price of the vehicle was the full RRP, without any reduction for the items that were omitted. I walked away without placing an order.

One week later I walked into the local Lexus dealership in order to view the new NX350H which was in their showroom for one day only. I was very impressed by the car and decided to place an order for the vehicle, (subject to a test drive at a later date). Several months later I went for a test drive in the NX350H. The vehicle was very easy to drive, road noise was a little louder than I had expected (run flat tyres), seats were fairly comfortable, infotainment was provided by a huge flat screen facing the driver, this was loaded with new technology. I am a traditionalist; I prefer physical buttons and dials to control settings within the car. I decided to proceed with the order, dealer informed me that delivery would be in May 2022. The month of May came, no delivery, dealership now saying expected delivery date July. The month of July came, no delivery, dealership now saying expected delivery date October. The month of October came, no delivery, dealership now saying December. By this time, I had lost my patience, so I cancelled the order.

On the forecourt of the same Lexus dealership, I had seen a very nice second hand RX450H. I took the car for a test drive, I was hugely impressed by the vehicle, it was quiet, luxurious, had good visibility, and driver controls that could easily be operated. I found that the combination of the 6-cylinder engine and the CVT transmission provided a silky-smooth experience (far better than my Range Rover 9 speed auto box). After the test drive I decided to place an order for the older model RX fitted with the 6-cylinder engine. In November I received my new RX450h, and I am absolutely delighted with the car. I would say that it is the best car that I have ever owned, the build quality and comfort are far superior to my previous Range Rover.

I have no regrets about cancelling my order for the NX350H.

I have attached some pictures of my new car.

All the best.

Lex 3.jpg

lex4a.jpg

Lex4b.jpg

• Like 10

Hard not to love the RX - I certainly love mine. They’re epic cars, and slightly unusual too which is nice.

I’m sure you’ll be as happy with your choice as nearly all RX owners are. Congratulations…and welcome to a very exclusive club!

1 hour ago, Lexnew said:

The car that I was driving a year ago was a Range Rover. The vehicle was approaching 3 years old, so I and was looking to replace the vehicle with a newer model. A test drive was arranged for me at the local Land Rover dealership. After the test drive I wanted to place an order for the vehicle, I was told that due to silicone chip shortages certain items would be omitted from the vehicle - HUD/ interactive driver display/surround camera view/only 1 vehicle key supplied. The delivery time for the vehicle would be over 1 year. The price of the vehicle was the full RRP, without any reduction for the items that were omitted. I walked away without placing an order.

One week later I walked into the local Lexus dealership in order to view the new NX350H which was in their showroom for one day only. I was very impressed by the car and decided to place an order for the vehicle, (subject to a test drive at a later date). Several months later I went for a test drive in the NX350H. The vehicle was very easy to drive, road noise was a little louder than I had expected (run flat tyres), seats were fairly comfortable, infotainment was provided by a huge flat screen facing the driver, this was loaded with new technology. I am a traditionalist; I prefer physical buttons and dials to control settings within the car. I decided to proceed with the order, dealer informed me that delivery would be in May 2022. The month of May came, no delivery, dealership now saying expected delivery date July. The month of July came, no delivery, dealership now saying expected delivery date October. The month of October came, no delivery, dealership now saying December. By this time, I had lost my patience, so I cancelled the order.

On the forecourt of the same Lexus dealership, I had seen a very nice second hand RX450H. I took the car for a test drive, I was hugely impressed by the vehicle, it was quiet, luxurious, had good visibility, and driver controls that could easily be operated. I found that the combination of the 6-cylinder engine and the CVT transmission provided a silky-smooth experience (far better than my Range Rover 9 speed auto box). After the test drive I decided to place an order for the older model RX fitted with the 6-cylinder engine. In November I received my new RX450h, and I am absolutely delighted with the car. I would say that it is the best car that I have ever owned, the build quality and comfort are far superior to my previous Range Rover.

All the best.

Lex 3.jpg

lex4a.jpg

Lex4b.jpg

A Splendid story Ian.

You will not be disappoiinted and will probably be able to boast and tell all of your former RANGE ROVER friends, how you informed the Learned Members of the Lexus Owners Club, how in only 31 lines you informed them that you had saved yourself circa £35k without even mentioning that you had saved anything.🤣👍👍.Welcome to L.O.C.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lexnew said:

I would say that it is the best car that I have ever owned, the build quality and comfort are far superior to my previous Range Rover.

Great choice, just remember you can't drive the RX through a swamp like a Range Rover 🙂

22 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Great choice, just remember you can't drive the RX through a swamp like a Range Rover 🙂

But if you did, it is likely to still be working the other end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Back in the 1980s I believe the common saying in Australia was along the lines of;

”If you want to drive into the outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to drive back out again, buy a Toyota…”

• Haha 6

On 11/8/2022 at 7:55 PM, C Mclean said:

With any luck I’ll be picking up my new RX in a week or two. 

Just been advised I can collect the new one next Tuesday. Went on to my insurance website to update with new vehicle details and change my annual mileage from eight thousand down to six thousand and it turns out I get a refund of £27. WooHoo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, matinzk said:

Congratulations on the purchase.

We're looking at potentially upgrading from our CT200h to a 2018 or 2019 RX450h. What kind of MPG do you guys get from your RX450h?

Thank you.

My average is about 35.6 MPG over about 13500 miles (mixture of town, rural and motorway driving).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, matinzk said:

Congratulations on the purchase.

We're looking at potentially upgrading from our CT200h to a 2018 or 2019 RX450h. What kind of MPG do you guys get from your RX450h?

Thank you.

Having owned my RX450H for less than a month, my average fuel consumption is around 35mpg.My journeys consist of a mixture of short stop start trips and longer motorway journeys. I think that 35mpg is remarkable, considering that it is powered by a 3.5 litre engine. The fuel consumption is far better than my previous Range Rover.

I am absolutely delighted with the car.

• Like 4

Thank you guys. 

Would you say the fuel consumption is similar to a rav4 with the 2.5 litre 4 cylinder engine? 

How do you find it space wise? We have 2 toddlers and one still uses a pram. Any insights is more than welcome. 

1 hour ago, Lexnew said:

Having owned my RX450H for less than a month, my average fuel consumption is around 35mpg.My journeys consist of a mixture of short stop start trips and longer motorway journeys. I think that 35mpg is remarkable, considering that it is powered by a 3.5 litre engine. The fuel consumption is far better than my previous Range Rover.

I am absolutely delighted with the car.

Which trim is your rx450h? 

18 minutes ago, matinzk said:

Would you say the fuel consumption is similar to a rav4 with the 2.5 litre 4 cylinder engine? 

Looking at the Honest John website the Rav 4 is significantly better fuel consumption wise.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/rav4-2019

I suspect the 5th Gen RX will be closer to the latest Rav 4.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:18 PM, Lexnew said:

All the best.

Lex 3.jpg

lex4a.jpg

Lex4b.jpg

These thoughts ( to cancel NX350h and get RX450h instead) are quite familiar to me as well.

It is just getting ridiculous now with those waiting times. But I can consider preowned 22 plate, for example.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links