Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Night vision glasses

Mincey

Prompted by the thread highlighting those dastardly ES300h drivers going around at night dazzling on-comers with their bright headlights, I was wondering whether polarised night vision glasses are worth investigation? Here's an example from Amazon (other online retailers are available). I've got a pair of Oakley skiing glasses which I bought back in 2000 lurking in a cupboard - would these work in the same way? I might look a bit of a Berkshire wearing them but if they were to cut down on glare then I'm sure that I could live with that. Over to you, my esteemed online chums - do you have any thoughts?

• Like 1

I am interested to find this out as well James. I find it more difficult to drive at night getting older as oncoming headlights make it difficult to see clearly. I am told it is because of age. When you are young the light enters the eye only through the pupil but when older also through the side of it or so. I know the night vision glasses from tell sell and apparently it totally changed the lives of people that started using them they look so happy!

But... do they work?

If your Oakley glasses are proper skiing glasses(level 4),then you should not be using them for driving.They will not allow sufficient light through and are only suitable for skiing, mountaineering or sailing.

I am almost certain that they are illegal for driving and I,m sure someone was prosecuted for this recently.

If they are "ordinary" Oakleys,then they should be level 3,(or poss.2,for fashion glasses).

If at all in doubt ,see an optician if you any worries.Driving with defective vision is illegal and would negate your insurance.it is also stupid.

• Thanks 1

I wear normal glasses so got a pair of night vision over glasses to try, they make a bit of difference but not tried them on a dark wet night yet. However because they are on top of my normal glasses they seem to cut out the peripheral vision and I didn’t like that so they are now in the glove box.

If you don’t wear normal glasses those in the link above may help. 
interested to hear others experience.

3 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

If your Oakley glasses are proper skiing glasses(level 4),then you should not be using them for driving.They will not allow sufficient light through and are only suitable for skiing, mountaineering or sailing.

I am almost certain that they are illegal for driving and I,m sure someone was prosecuted for this recently.

Many thanks for that - I will leave them in the cupboard!

I've been using night driving glasses for a couple of decades. I swear by them. Started using them when I was 40 now 60 and love 'em. Some knock them for unsubstantiated reasons. 

The only downfall with polarised lenses is they kind of blur digital displays.

• Thanks 1

I swear by these lenses that your optician should be able to source,  and most importantly they can be made for most prescriptions and existing frames.  Hoya Vision Enroute Pro,  speciality Driving Glasses. 

Not a cheap option but they are very effective with good reviews. Like others here the headlight glare at night is a problem  and espeically in wet weather where the effect of glare is magnified.

https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/vision-products/speciality-lenses/enroute/

Reviews can be bought. Only way to know if something is good is to try it.

I have Oakley sports glasses 15 years old as good as new and have 2 pair of 3-year-old Oakley photochromic sunglasses that are losing the film on them so they are no longer any use, and 1 of the pair they do not make replacement lenses for. Oakley is overrated and overly expensive.

Polarised lenses are great for fishing as you can see down in the water, but not smart for driving if there is water on the road as you will be able to see through the water as if it is not there.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, Hillie said:

I swear by these lenses that your optician should be able to source,  and most importantly they can be made for most prescriptions and existing frames.  Hoya Vision Enroute Pro,  speciality Driving Glasses. 

Not a cheap option but they are very effective with good reviews. Like others here the headlight glare at night is a problem  and espeically in wet weather where the effect of glare is magnified.

https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/vision-products/speciality-lenses/enroute/

Those Hoyas look amazing, I am definitely in the market for some night vision glasses and since my current specs are Essilor varilux xtractives, have been considering their Road Pilot range (available in single vision and varifocals etc): https://ecp.essilor-pro.com/gb/lenses/single-vision/essilor-roadpilot.  

Shall have a look at the Hoyas though, wondering if anyone has experience of both in order to compare?  These get so pricey when you add in the transitions which I cannot do without - probably talking upwards of £600 with the night vision.  

• 1 month later...

I have also used the Hoya glasses for night time driving.  Costa fortune especially if varifocal type but they designed to cut the “blue” light spectrum out of these new LED headlights.

My ES headlamps are bright so I can see where I’m going ……

On 1/31/2023 at 11:46 AM, D Johnson said:

Those Hoyas look amazing, I am definitely in the market for some night vision glasses and since my current specs are Essilor varilux xtractives, have been considering their Road Pilot range (available in single vision and varifocals etc): https://ecp.essilor-pro.com/gb/lenses/single-vision/essilor-roadpilot.  

Shall have a look at the Hoyas though, wondering if anyone has experience of both in order to compare?  These get so pricey when you add in the transitions which I cannot do without - probably talking upwards of £600 with the night vision.  

I have been using Hoya varifocals for more than 30 years, as I got older on-coming glare became more of a problem. So I bought En-routes as soon as they were available and can reccomend highly. They can be expensive but Isight, Shepshed, Leicestershire  are manufacturing Opticians and give you unbiased advice. For example they will fit lens into a provided frame saving you a fortune. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I love about this forum is coming across this sort of stuff.

Have been noticing night driving a challenge due to glare etc.  So will investigate Hoya and Essilor

My dad was motorway patrol officer he always used glasses with yellow coating (no idea what it was) to aid night driving.

Did one have to drive at night using polarised lenses (as I had left my normal specs at home), that was ruddy scary, especially when out on country roads.

• Like 2

Why was it ruddy scary driving at night on country roads wearing polarised glasses Pete? I'm surprised. The only downside of polarised glasses is viewing the instrument panel on the car it looks almost distorted.

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Why was it ruddy scary driving 

Because it does cut out 50% of light, which as you get older is a bigger issue than when you are younger and your eyes are better at contrast which there is a distinct lack of at night

I have also driven with tinted glasses at night which was even scarier as that kills contrast dead to the point was hard to see the grass kerb, and coz most roads have faded centre lines was a 15 mile experience not to be repeated.

Night driving advice

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 5:39 AM, Hillie said:

https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/vision-products/speciality-lenses/enroute/backrooms

I have also driven at night while wearing tinted glasses, which was an even more terrifying experience. This reduces contrast to the point where it is difficult to see the grass kerb, and because most roads have fading centre lines, this 15-mile trip is one that should never be repeated.

• Like 3

Gentlemen .  synopsis time maybe please  ....

so what is a good effective and inexpensive route to stopping headlamp glare buggering one's night time driving vision  ?

Older age .......  and prescription glasses being used here 

Thanks

Malc

In a cab to Zurich airport last evening I noticed the driver was wearing yellow-tinted classic Ray-Ban style night driving glasses.  So, with this thread in mind, I asked him about them, and was told they were called SIGHTNIGHT (not the most imaginative of names, but apt), and are far and away the best of the many brands, including much costlier ones, he has used over the years.  Interestingly, he said his personal assessment is mainly based on the ability of this type of glasses to satisfactorily reduce glare from mixed light sources in tunnels in wet conditions (which is a familiar enough problem for drivers in Switzerland and even more of one in countries whose own tunnels are badly maintained by comparison).

Anyway, having concluded that the guy knew what he was talking about, I today placed an online order for a pair at €39.99.  I should add that the manufacturer claims they can be worn over prescription glasses if needed (which I don’t), but I would be sceptical of this claim insofar as the latter surely come in so many shapes and sizes as to make fits potentially awkward.  

I’ll report in due course on whether or not they prove to have been a good buy.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I’ll report in due course on whether or not they prove to have been a good buy.

excellent . await with baited breath ...  thank you

Malc

I was considering giving the £39 glasses a try only to discover several articles which state that there is no scientific proof that night glasses work and that they can be counter productive, eg: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/103379/what-are-night-driving-glasses-and-do-they-work?amp

1 minute ago, D Johnson said:

no scientific proof that night glasses work

they just need to cut back on the glare for me to be happy  .  that's as scientific as it all needs to be 😆

Malc

36 minutes ago, D Johnson said:

… there is no scientific proof that night glasses work and that they can be counter productive …

Yes, I have been indecisive for several years precisely because of the amount of negative literature. And yet it has always been at the back of my mind that thousands of pleased users can’t all be wrong, and that highly reputable lens manufacturers such as Zeiss and Hoya, among others, are not in the business of selling rubbish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

excellent . await with baited breath ...  thank you

Malc

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

they just need to cut back on the glare for me to be happy  .  that's as scientific as it all needs to be 😆

Malc

Malc, I reckon you can already safely un-bate your breath since you won’t be getting much science from me. But, seeing it’s you, and on this one occasion only, I’ll make sure to give my windscreen a few extra wipes before I first try on the glasses.

• Like 1

Reading articles that give negative reviews are basically a joke and probably paid by whomever.  Example. How many positive reviews of Lexus cars have you read? By positive I mean not a single negative word within that review? I bet the answer is none. But however you know your Lexus car is superb. 

I'm a professional driver who now starts at midnight and at around 2am I'm on the road. I've worn night time driving glasses for decades and as a professional driver I swear by them. Not only do they reduce glare but they make things look clearer and make viewing oh so much easier. No straining or tired eyes but the feeling of comfort. 

Yes there are glasses that cost a hundred quid and there are those at a tenner. My last pair cost £15 from a motorway service station. Ruddy excellent they are. No they don't go over normal glasses as I don't need those sorts.

Don't read reviews from magazines or t'internet. Word of mouth is the absolute best review. 

Happy Friday. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links