Mincey

32 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

My last pair cost £15 from a motorway service station. Ruddy excellent they are

are they any specific " name "

Thanks

Malc

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Reading articles that give negative reviews are basically a joke and probably paid by whomever.  Example. How many positive reviews of Lexus cars have you read? By positive I mean not a single negative word within that review? I bet the answer is none. But however you know your Lexus car is superb. 

I'm a professional driver who now starts at midnight and at around 2am I'm on the road. I've worn night time driving glasses for decades and as a professional driver I swear by them. Not only do they reduce glare but they make things look clearer and make viewing oh so much easier. No straining or tired eyes but the feeling of comfort. 

Yes there are glasses that cost a hundred quid and there are those at a tenner. My last pair cost £15 from a motorway service station. Ruddy excellent they are. No they don't go over normal glasses as I don't need those sorts.

Don't read reviews from magazines or t'internet. Word of mouth is the absolute best review. 

Happy Friday. 

45 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Reading articles that give negative reviews are basically a joke and probably paid by whomever.  Example. How many positive reviews of Lexus cars have you read? By positive I mean not a single negative word within that review? I bet the answer is none. But however you know your Lexus car is superb. 

I'm a professional driver who now starts at midnight and at around 2am I'm on the road. I've worn night time driving glasses for decades and as a professional driver I swear by them. Not only do they reduce glare but they make things look clearer and make viewing oh so much easier. No straining or tired eyes but the feeling of comfort. 

Yes there are glasses that cost a hundred quid and there are those at a tenner. My last pair cost £15 from a motorway service station. Ruddy excellent they are. No they don't go over normal glasses as I don't need those sorts.

Don't read reviews from magazines or t'internet. Word of mouth is the absolute best review. 

Happy Friday. 

Can you take a photo of your nighttime glasses and state name, model number, where to buy etc? Thanks.

Sorry but I can't provide a name or model of my glasses. The only markings are

7254 CE UK cat 1

Bought them from Abington service station 40 miles from Edinburgh but on sale nationwide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

… Not only do they reduce glare but they make things look clearer…

Nice post, Vlad.  It makes me look forward even more to trying the pair I ordered.  

There’s one thing I don’t quite understand though.  Is it the reduced glare that makes things look clearer?   I ask because logic tells me that improved clarity of vision should normally occur only with corrective prescription lenses, which neither you or I (hopefully) need.

Renato I have reading glasses only. My distance vision is very good. Yes it's the reduced glare and the yellow tinge that makes things look clearer and makes vision more comfortable. 

There are two types of night time driving glasses. Polarised and plain. I've had both. I prefer none polarised because I can see my dash and radio and satnav screens clearly. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Sorry but I can't provide a name or model of my glasses. The only markings are

7254 CE UK cat 1

Bought them from Abington service station 40 miles from Edinburgh but on sale nationwide. 

https://www.smartbuyglasses.co.uk/designer-sunglasses/Jaguar/Jaguar-7254-Polarized-4820-542441.html      I found this by entering 7254 CE UK cat 1 into google.     ???

Check out.... Seiko Night Vision Lenses I have The Brilliance Ones They are Fantastic Not cheap But Well Worth it..In My opinion They are at the top of the List...Amazing Glasses...What really Bugs me is people go in to opticians and only  concentrate on The FRAMES when there priority should be the lenses..Opticians don,t like if you have done your homework and Researched the lenses available.. also shop around for the best price...Good advice.!!!

I will be having a eye test for my prescription lenses in a few weeks when my local Specsavers re opens closed for refurbishment.

They do a lens that has an anti glare coating I will have this applied and will see if it works

John 

WOW Jeff. I certainly didn't pay anywhere near that price. 

Petrol stations and motorway service stations are selling night driving glasses. I've never spent more than £15 on them in the decades I've been using them. Each to their own though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Petrol stations and motorway service stations are selling night driving glasses. I've never spent more than £15 on them

this sounds the simplest solution .  rarely go inside the sales area these days with " Pay at pump " .  but I shall next time 

Thanks for this

Malc

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mr Vlad said:

WOW Jeff. I certainly didn't pay anywhere near that price. 

Petrol stations and motorway service stations are selling night driving glasses. I've never spent more than £15 on them in the decades I've been using them. Each to their own though.

Agree, far too expensive. I'll look out for the cheaper ones.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:09 PM, Rabbers said:

In a cab to Zurich airport last evening I noticed the driver was wearing yellow-tinted classic Ray-Ban style night driving glasses.  So, with this thread in mind, I asked him about them, and was told they were called SIGHTNIGHT (not the most imaginative of names, but apt), and are far and away the best of the many brands, including much costlier ones, he has used over the years.  Interestingly, he said his personal assessment is mainly based on the ability of this type of glasses to satisfactorily reduce glare from mixed light sources in tunnels in wet conditions (which is a familiar enough problem for drivers in Switzerland and even more of one in countries whose own tunnels are badly maintained by comparison).

Anyway, having concluded that the guy knew what he was talking about, I today placed an online order for a pair at €39.99.  I should add that the manufacturer claims they can be worn over prescription glasses if needed (which I don’t), but I would be sceptical of this claim insofar as the latter surely come in so many shapes and sizes as to make fits potentially awkward.  

I’ll report in due course on whether or not they prove to have been a good buy.

Unable to locate these Ray Bans, and surprised over the prive. Have you got a link for us?

9 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Unable to locate these Ray Bans, and surprised over the prive. Have you got a link for us?

I wasn’t talking about Ray Bans, but “classic Ray Ban style” glasses. 
Try www.sightnight.io or, failing that, www.techfibrr.com for the supplier’s full catalogue.

6 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I wasn’t talking about Ray Bans, but “classic Ray Ban style” glasses. 
Try www.sightnight.io or, failing that, www.techfibrr.com for the supplier’s full catalogue.

Thanks! Just placed an order, will report back once tested it. I've always had a problem with glare, wet roads and night lights together really confuse my sight.

2 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Thanks! Just placed an order, will report back once tested it. I've always had a problem with glare, wet roads and lights together really confuse my sight.

We can only hope the glasses live up to the claims.  Having Vlad, generically, plus a Swiss cab driver, brand-specifically, as testimonials, I am optimistic.

Could have sworn i had posted on this thread. Years ago i had a pair of night driving glasses not prescription. They were called ambervision 

7 hours ago, ALAW said:

… Years ago i had a pair of night driving glasses not prescription. They were called ambervision 

The name certainly rings a bell.  I think I had a pair of yellowish-brown AMBERVISION glasses a long time ago - maybe as far back as the 70s.  I used them purely as sunglasses and it never occurred to me that they might have been good for night driving, as indeed they very possibly would have been.  Regrettably it came naturally to me to take them off around dusk.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rabbers said:

The name certainly rings a bell.  I think I had a pair of yellowish-brown AMBERVISION glasses a long time ago - maybe as far back as the 70s.  I used them purely as sunglasses and it never occurred to me that they might have been good for night driving, as indeed they very possibly would have been.  Regrettably it came naturally to me to take them off around dusk.

Yup Renato around the 70,s i did a google recently and saw some for sale on eBay

On 4/20/2023 at 7:09 PM, Rabbers said:

....I’ll report in due course on whether or not they prove to have been a good buy.

I received the SIGHTNIGHT glasses last Friday after ordering them on Monday, which is not bad for mail from Lithuania.  The frame is not marked, so I can't say if the glasses were also made there.  They came packaged in a plain throwaway box, and lack a protective case, which is rather stingy.

After a couple of night-time drives I can say the glasses do what they are supposed to do, namely, improve visibility and therefore safety by reducing glare from headlights, brake-lights, illuminated signs, neons etc.  I haven't tried them in rainy conditions yet, but don't doubt they will help with the additional glare.  My depth of vision seems better, and details are sharper - by which I mean that I can pick out greater numbers of objects at longer distances than before.  To what extent this is a subjective impression is hard to say, not that it much matters since any improvement to one's confidence in night driving can only be welcomed. I can't say if costlier products do the job better or if cheaper ones do it worse but, in the absence of points of comparison and evidence to the contrary, I find the price of €39.99 acceptable.

As regards daytime use, the glasses appreciably lessen the irritating strobe-like dazzle from intermittent bursts of light within stretches of shadow, but I find that darker lenses give better protection in consistent strong sunlight.  In other words, I would not generally consider them a replacement for "proper" sunglasses, though I expect they may well be useful in reducing possible eye fatigue during long drives on bright sunless days.

My sole complaint concerns not the lenses, whose effectiveness I can't fault, but the dubious quality of the thin blackened-metal frame.  It looks good but feels flimsy, and as such requires more care in handling than, for example, is the case with the similarly light but palpably sturdier frames of premium aviator-style sunglasses such as RayBan or Revo etc.  Also, having asked my wife to try on the SIGHTNIGHTs over her daintiest pair of reading-glasses, I can confirm my original pre-purchase suspicion that, contrary to the seller's claim, they are really only suitable for wearing alone - not, of course, that this is a problem for those of us who drive without prescription glasses.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the review. I'm a bit dubious with the poor packaging and lack of a case. Looking ay their website I see they offer a 3 year warranty for £3.99....wonder if it's 'worth the paper it's written on'

14 minutes ago, Huwge said:

Thanks for the review. I'm a bit dubious with the poor packaging and lack of a case. Looking ay their website I see they offer a 3 year warranty for £3.99....wonder if it's 'worth the paper it's written on'

I use these, they are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloomoak-Wear-Over-Glasses-Prescription/dp/B07M6XP6FR?pd_rd_w=YuUuW&content-id=amzn1.sym.2bab1a66-0163-42a3-8db9-dea7b2b25de8&pf_rd_p=2bab1a66-0163-42a3-8db9-dea7b2b25de8&pf_rd_r=DYV43K53SP2J4185EZ5Z&pd_rd_wg=9DTl7&pd_rd_r=3bbf0385-c504-4097-8c11-f337a5f466b7&pd_rd_i=B07M6XP6FR&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_t&th=1

• Thanks 1

Maurice. With the ones you use and them being polarised. Do you still see clearly the instrument panel and dash display? I found with one pair they kind of distorted them i.e. the radio display wasn't distinguishable. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Maurice. With the ones you use and them being polarised. Do you still see clearly the instrument panel and dash display? I found with one pair they kind of distorted them i.e. the radio display wasn't distinguishable. 

Yes no problems inside the car.

Outside, everyone's windows look much darker.

Really good at night, which is when I use them.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Huwge said:

…I see they offer a 3 year warranty for £3.99....wonder if it's 'worth the paper it's written on'

I hadn’t noticed that.  I can’t imagine what the warranty might cover.  Maybe it’s a simple ploy to convince buyers that the glasses are unlikely to fall apart for at least three years.  Or maybe they simply figure that a small percentage of people spending €40 might, if asked, easily be tempted to spend another €4 !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links