Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crease on leather dash trim for NX350h

Hi there. I wonder if anyone with the leather dash trim with their NX350h/450 noticed an odd crease as seen in the photo. I only noticed it today when I was cleaning it - only got the car a month ago. It’s not really noticeable when I sit on the driver side. I could not recall putting anything/did anything that would cause it. It seems like a very uniform crease so I am not sure if it was supposed to there (probably not). I only tried to use a hairdryer to see if it disappear - it does disappear but would return after cooling down. It’s felt like there’s a gap/crease in the pad under the leather when I pressed the area. Any comment/simple fix would be appreciated (if it’s not supposed to be there) - I am not too sure if I would want the dealer to replace the trim.

33D8E9EA-9EEB-4376-8575-A558BCAA1826.jpeg

Definitely go back to the dealer, see what they suggest.

I wonder if it's something to do with the passenger airbag deployment?

My first thought though was someone has carried something resting against the dash pad

• Like 1

An issue very similar to this was reported on the US Club Lexus forum a while back and it was felt that it was a manufacturing defect caused by the airbag contained within that section of the dash creating an indentation. 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-2nd-gen-2022-current/987948-check-your-nx-manufacturer-defect-nx-airbag-imprint-indentation-do-you-have-this.html

Looks like it's not an uncommon occurrence across different makes of cars. Unfortunately the thread on that forum seems to end without any update on whether the OP's issue was solved. Nevertheless I thought you might be interested in reading it. Sorry I can't help further. 

I hope you can get it resolved. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

An issue very similar to this was reported on the US Club Lexus forum a while back and it was felt that it was a manufacturing defect caused by the airbag contained within that section of the dash creating an indentation. 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-2nd-gen-2022-current/987948-check-your-nx-manufacturer-defect-nx-airbag-imprint-indentation-do-you-have-this.html

Looks like it's not an uncommon occurrence across different makes of cars. Unfortunately the thread on that forum seems to end without any update on whether the OP's issue was solved. Nevertheless I thought you might be interested in reading it. Sorry I can't help further. 

I hope you can get it resolved. 

Thanks - it looks like the exact same issue. As said I am not too sure if I want the dash trim to be replaced even if it’s agreed under warranty - I want to avoid possible rattle/alignment issue… Maybe it’s something I just live with unless it’s getting worse.

• Like 1

I must say, if it were my car, I would be very keen to get to the bottom of this. The thing is it might not bother you (at least for now) but what would a prospective buyer think? For my money it does look like a permanent crease so I'm not sure what could or should be done but given an all but identical problem was reported in the US then it does look like a manufacturing fault.

• Like 3

Looking online, it does happen for other cars as Andy mentioned - I guess it depends on the design. Apparently there was a good go for the BMW 1 series about 10 years ago about airbag indentation and BMW ended up telling people it’s normal and not to replace the trim.

I have emailed the dealer which is about 2 and half hours away (closest to where I stay) and see what they say. My local area does not have a Lexus showroom but only a Honda garage that is also authorised garage to repair/service Lexus - they don’t have service plan set up for purchasing currently (awaiting for training apparently) and said I would need to call back in a few weeks. Did say they are repairing Lexus though… Probably will ask them a look as well but that’s already a bit off-putting as I am not sure how experienced they are particularly with the new NX… I suspect they will probably say replacement but I am really not sure as said.

Just heard back from the dealer. Apparently I was the first one in Europe who reported this lol. Spoke to the service manager - said they would go ahead to have it replaced under warranty. Apparently it’s going to be a relatively big job as expected and they need the car for a good few days. He offered some personalised service for getting the car to the workshop (to be confirmed though) so very impressed so far (my local Lexus service centre has not even called me back lol). Not going to happen until at least April anyway - hopefully it will be all fine.

• Like 4

Serious damage to dash boards are easily repaired by Experts who tackle Vintage Cars.

I definitely advise against the proposed repair as your Technicians have no experience.

Tel

Lol yea it’s a gamble isn’t it? As said I was not too sure about getting the dash replaced initially but the manager gave me some confidence. He did say it’s the first for them which is not surprising but did say they obviously did dash replacement for other models. He told me he would book it for up to a week so it would be done properly. He even said he would drive it himself to make sure it’s all good with no rattle 🤣 . Maybe a SMART repair could fix it but I can’t imagine they would offer it and I certainly can’t see any reason for me to fork out money to fix this myself (unless I just leave it obviously).

I actually notice the airbag indentation is now a bit more obvious at the top as well. See the photo - you can see the “V”. This certainly pulls me further for a replacement instead.

Anyway wish me luck lol.

741A48B0-2C54-402B-B0D2-08986EE69E70.jpeg

I had a IS,on Delivery  that had a serious crease in its seat that a new foam seat cushion & a new Red  leather cover failed to resolve fully.

Smart Repairs were NEVER considered. My Lexus Dealer had tried but it was the first cushion cover they had fitted. 

The following week an Auto Vintage Coachworks Artisan arrived & completely resolved the issue which he said was easy as my leather was new & easy to work.

A friend had a screw driver hole in his dashboard following an attempted theft. 

An Artisan arrived & did an Invisible repair.

Tel

It it leather?
Looks like plastic to me, I might be wrong though.

If it is genuine, it's pig skin, you can tell that  by looking at it, it has the same surface pattern as human skin, just take a look at the back of your hand.

I shouldn't think for one minute it's leather.Dashboards are plastic unless it's in a really expensive car and even then would be an expensive option.

Leather is leather,..it from a cow/bull etc.

Tahara "leather" isn't leather, it is plastic/vinyl/manmade...never been near a cow. Same as Mercedes Artico.

I am no expert so can’t really tell 100% but it’s not plastic - either leather or “fake” leather I assume. It is soft to touch and obviously “crease”.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, DavidCM said:

I shouldn't think for one minute it's leather.Dashboards are plastic unless it's in a really expensive car and even then would be an expensive option.

Leather is leather,..it from a cow/bull etc.

Tahara "leather" isn't leather, it is plastic/vinyl/manmade...never been near a cow. Same as Mercedes Artico.

My 2020 NX is full leather on the dash, pig skin not cow hide, but leather.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:18 PM, ApePat said:

Lol yea it’s a gamble isn’t it? As said I was not too sure about getting the dash replaced initially but the manager gave me some confidence. He did say it’s the first for them which is not surprising but did say they obviously did dash replacement for other models. He told me he would book it for up to a week so it would be done properly. He even said he would drive it himself to make sure it’s all good with no rattle 🤣 . Maybe a SMART repair could fix it but I can’t imagine they would offer it and I certainly can’t see any reason for me to fork out money to fix this myself (unless I just leave it obviously).

I actually notice the airbag indentation is now a bit more obvious at the top as well. See the photo - you can see the “V”. This certainly pulls me further for a replacement instead.

Anyway wish me luck lol.

741A48B0-2C54-402B-B0D2-08986EE69E70.jpeg

Looks like a smaller crease on the other side as well, checked my 350h and I also have these creases although only really noticeable (at the moment) when in my garage without any lighting on. 

3 hours ago, FSPORT3 said:

Looks like a smaller crease on the other side as well, checked my 350h and I also have these creases although only really noticeable (at the moment) when in my garage without any lighting on. 

Yea that’s right - there a very faint “v” shaped crease on the other side as well. I guess all nx350/450h will have some degrees of this but I guess I was the “unlucky” one with a very obvious one with this dash. If it was very faint then I won’t really bother but it’s very obvious in my case unfortunately.

2 hours ago, ApePat said:

Yea that’s right - there a very faint “v” shaped crease on the other side as well. I guess all nx350/450h will have some degrees of this but I guess I was the “unlucky” one with a very obvious one with this dash. If it was very faint then I won’t really bother but it’s very obvious in my case unfortunately.

Same as anything, once you become aware of a defect or fault however minor and immaterial you can't stop noticing and it then becomes  obvious. As for me, I don't consider this significant enough for a warranty claim due to the potential downsides (rattles etc, as you mentioned) but hope your replacement goes well.  I suspect there are many others with the same problem but unless you are in the right light and indeed siting in the passenger seat would not even notice. 

On 2/28/2023 at 1:14 AM, ApePat said:

Thanks - it looks like the exact same issue. As said I am not too sure if I want the dash trim to be replaced even if it’s agreed under warranty - I want to avoid possible rattle/alignment issue… Maybe it’s something I just live with unless it’s getting worse.

Now that your car is very new you could easily tell you want problems fixed. If something more happens or you change your mind and want it fixed later, you may find it more difficult to have Lexus take your complaint serious.

44 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

But, seriously leather comes from animals, oh and your link doesn't work.

Leather comes from animals. The so-called leather in Lexus cars is made from something vegan, which is not from animals.

https://www.mastermechanicsauto.com/category/lexus-repair/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links