Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The engineers felt a lot of electrical damage cost was too high. A lot of damage caused looking for tracker, glove box taken apart, side panels, roof lining, wiring loom etc. I ws able to drive the car from storage to Lexus even with the electrical faults and lights .sadly now written off

• Sad 2

On 4/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, ColinBarber said:

The vehicle I know of at the moment which is getting enhanced security is the NX, which from now on is, or soon to be, manufactured with Ultra Wideband keys which stops relay attacked. Not heard of this on other vehicles yet but I would expect that to happen at each refresh. UWB can't be retrofitted and probably means they won't produce sleeping keys for older vehicles if they intend on moving to UWB.

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-nx-elevated-by-new-on-board-luxury-features-and-latest-technology/

The only other Toyota/Lexus I know of that doesn't have this issue is the Toyota Supra - purely because the engine, ecu, alarm/immobiliser and keyless entry system is from BMW which has sleeping keys.

All well and good, but does this still leave the vehicle open to Canbus theft?

1 hour ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

The engineers felt a lot of electrical damage cost was too high. A lot of damage caused looking for tracker, glove box taken apart, side panels, roof lining, wiring loom etc. I ws able to drive the car from storage to Lexus even with the electrical faults and lights .sadly now written off

Sorry to hear about that, seems a shame if it’s still a strong car underneath!  Will you be considering another GSF?

So sorry to hear this. 

This is the concern, even if they are not successful driving off with the car, they completely butcher it before leaving 😭

2 GSF’s now written off… I imagine our insurance premium will go up again with those stats 🙄

• Like 1

Super sad that another one is off the road! Gutted for you and the car.

I can't believe it is a write off though, £30k+ worth of damage... really? Wonder if it'll go up for auction eventually, be keeping eyes out to see what the future holds!

• Like 1

As others have said so sorry to here this, but seeing the damage i certainly wouldn’t want the car back anyway.

the insurance company generally will write the car off when the cost to repair is greater than 50% of the value of the vehicle.

we’ve seen over the past couple of weeks the price of the interior carbon trim, so the cost of repairs will escalate quickly if they’re damaged.

I hope you reach a reasonable settlement with the insurance company quickly and you can move on from this nightmare.

best of luck.

PS there’s a nice one for sale at Swindon….

• Like 1

The concern buying another Gsf is it will older than the one I owned it ws jan2018 also knowing interior carbon trim aswell as the exterior carbon front will continue to deteriorate and high cost to replace. Front carbon price from Lexus was around £4k

6 hours ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

Advice welcomed on selling my plate V888 GSF £850, all views appreciated 

I joined a few facebook number plate groups a while back and it was honestly the worst experience ever so avoid them. Might be worth asking on the Lexus Owners UK facebook group, there are a few people with GSF's not on this forum in that group.

If you want to shift quick, best bet is to approach online reg sellers, plenty out there so shop around and if they are interested enough, they'll buy it off you, otherwise they'll advertise on your behalf and take a fee upon selling 🙂

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BillNick said:

If it’s not too soon to say, I’d love to get my hands on the wheels

That's easy ....the wheels come free with the car😄

Yeah - insurance companies annoys me when they "abuse" the category system. This car shouldn't have been "written-off" - it should have been what is known as "Category X - stolen, recovered minimal damage", now the car will always have a mark as if it was crashed. Cat-N should be strictly for crashed cars with "non-structural damage", the Cat-S for "structural damage"... but in reality all these categories only have monetary value... perhaps 10% will be X, under 30% N, 30-60% S and anything over 60% is B (and it varies depending on insurance - hear <50/50-100/100> mentioned somewhere).

I may be too sensitive for cars, but it does hurt second hand market and consumer in the end. And don't get me wrong - salvage categories and history are good thing, I don't want to buy previously crashed car without knowing it, but they should be used correctly for what they are. Now I often see little bit older higher mileage cars being sold as "Cat-B" despite only having scratch on the bumper (literally).

The car has been viewed and inspected by an insurance assessor. 
No doubt, it was taken to a repair centre, and a list of parts made to effect a satisfactory repair, by an experienced engineer. Then a report subsequently prepared given to the afore mentioned employee of the insurance company.

Both of these guys will know their jobs inside out. 

They will have looked at the prices for the parts from lexus, and only lexus.

They will then have made a decision based on the price of the parts and the Labour to return the car to pre-damaged condition.

“Stolen recovered minimal damage” as you suggest here obviously is not the case. The interior damage to the trim is obviously extensive, there is a lot of trim missing and I would guess unfortunately the car probably needs a new dashboard.

The glovebox looked like it has been wrenched out. Mounting lugs are probably broken and smashed. It hasn’t got minimal damage.  The value of the car to the trade would have been in the region of £32-35k. So the repair to make the car right must have been in excess of £16-17k.

It’s in the best interest of the insurance company to make an economic repair - in the end it costs them less than writing the car off.

if this can’t be made, using the judgement and experience of the engineers who have actually seen and assessed the car, not just looked at a few photos - how is this an abuse of the category system??

The F cars are rare in the UK. salvage parts are few and far between.  It’s not a 3 series or the like where any part, in any colour is readily available on eBay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I may be too sensitive for cars, but it does hurt second hand market and consumer in the end. And don't get me wrong - salvage categories and history are good thing, I don't want to buy previously crashed car without knowing it, but they should be used correctly for what they are. Now I often see little bit older higher mileage cars being sold as "Cat-B" despite only having scratch on the bumper (literally).

I remember a few years back, maybe about a decade actually there was a dude with a rare sub model of the MK3 Supra who had a minor prang and according to Toyota's repair manual his car needed about 2-3% of it's value spending on labour and a part from a donor car (as Toyota no longer produced the part).  The insurance company wrote it off as Cat A (must be crushed) because they only used manufacturer parts and Toyota no longer made the part required meaning there was no way to safely return the car to the road.  He tried appealing it but no joy.

What really annoys me with copart is that they change auction terms DURING an auction! This GSF was listed as pure sale and now suddenly a reserve price popped in. What a con this website is, unbelievable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links