Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E5 petrol TESCO CHARLATANS & THIEVES

So today I fill up at the Tescos petrol stn. nr Barming Maidstone Kent 

attracted in by the headline unleaded 141.9     Always expect to pay 6/7p more for E5 

BUT 13p more at 154.9 sodding

CHARLATANS & THIEVES 

BOYCOTT TESCO I say

BOYCOTT TESCO

BOYCOTT TESCO 

anyone else experienced this level of thievery going on ? 

it’s unforgivable TESCO sliming their way into your pockets with UNFAIR PRACTICE headline pricing advertising 

you’re joining the massive petrol Q and only see the price appear once you’ve lifted the pump nozzle out of its holster ….. it’s simply THIEVERY on a grand scale …… and of course there’s zilch paper receipt these days 

BEWARE of being hoodwinked by TESCO 

to say I’m ultra annoyed is rather the understatement 

Malc 

I was caught short a few nights ago and had to use a BP station. I knew I was going to be ripped-off so only put a tenner in. Got a whopping 6L as the price of Ultmate was 164.9p.

Filled-up with Momentum the next day at 147.9.  A 6p premium over E10, which is pretty normal. Sounds like your Tesco in particular is the thief.

The price of each grade can always be seen before lifting the nozzle on the pumps I use, btw.

Can't agree with you on this one. In September last year, the local Esso station was charging 21p/l for E5 over E10 and in January the difference was a whopping 32p/l difference! Tesco E5 seemed a bargain in comparison.  Moreover, the price is shown on the pump before I start filling so I don't have to put the E5 in, I can switch to E10. (PS, I have no connection to Tesco)

Well the market like all energy, is an oligopoly…limited to nil competition, fixed pricing and UAE for petrol: is fixing the market.

They’re all in it together.

where I am it’s around 1.40 per litre.

Vote with your feet/tyres. Even if you pay more…if you’re doing few miles it won’t make any discernible difference.

I fill my E5 petrol Mk3 Ls400 about 100 ltrs a month ! 

and in this instance there was absolutely no indication of the E5 fuel price until the gun was out of the holster and the price zipped up on the screen 

Tesco very sharp practice I thought today   Shocked me tbh as I’ve never experienced this skulduggery and sharp practice by Tesco before

I’m BOYCOTTING TESCO for everything now …… the less thieving alternatives abound for all products they sell I’m sure 

Malc 🥵

Malc. Fill up with E10 and use

10 x 50l fills. Its what I use in my is250 and my car drives as it should. Oh I buy this in multi packs hence saving more.

20230617_205046.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the suggestion but Lexus advise E5 for the Mk3 Ls400 and I don’t want to be sodding around with additives …….. alternative petrol stations usually provide more honest pricing E5 ….. I just wasn’t local today when I found myself on “ orange “ 

ASDA don’t seem to sell E5 

Malc 

I only ever fill up with Shell V-Power. No need to but for the price difference on the miles I do it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Horses for courses of course but personally I would never use supermarket fuels, they're cheaper for a reason ... 

• Like 1

I stopped using 'branded' fuel over 15 years ago. I was staunch advocate of the stuff but one day I had no choice but to fill up on asda fuel. From then on I thought rubber duck those rip off merchants and have stuck with asda fuel or tesco since. Oh. My cars have been the top of the range sport derivative and turbo'd petrol cars and guess what. There's no f ing difference. 

If you want to waste your hard earned on branded then that's your choice. Me? I'm no fool.

• Thanks 2

Supermarket fuel is OK - used it for many years and run cars to 100sk miles on it without problems. If you have a Costco near you worth the membership as their E5 as cheap as E10 in most places and car runs well on it. 

Just to throw it out there, Esso 99 has the E5 sticker on the pump by law only, 'may contain up to 5% ethanol' is the meaning, however,  it 'should' have no ethanol content - as stated on the website (not that anyone would go and read it, which they know), but it may offer a medicore reason as to why they might be more expensive compared to other E5 fuels. The NX gets the cheapest around and the LS (and F when I had it), only got Esso 99, albeit for different reasons.

I would agree that it is annoying when the big price signs are conveniently inoperable when prices bump high. Our local Morrisons and Tesco have habits of 'faulty' large advertisers, only for you to rock up to the pump and find it to be up 5-10p from last time.

I always use momentum having previously only used shell v power.  Momentum is £145.9 a litre compared to e10 at £1.38.9 so 7p difference at my local store.

you can see the price prior to pumping as once you selected payment,

it appears on the pump fuel id box. 
with regards v power shell dont display price for this until selection made but again before you actually pump any fuel. I have found v power to vary from 15p to 25p premium difference.

the price of the fuel selected has to be displayed and you can always return the nozzle to holder without pumping any fuel if you not happy with the price.

• Like 1

I agree with you all 👍 in lots of respects 

the damning factor being the Q was time consuming and being on “ orange” maybe only 100 miles left in the tank and cutting it too fine for my days journey had I not refilled  AND the Q of cars behind me too 

I just felt totally cheated by this Tesco cowboy outfit yesterday 

the E5 price was absolutely nowhere displayed, not anywhere at all until the nozzle was lifted and the price dinged up in the pump display 

I felt cheated cheated cheated and it takes a long while to get my business and my money back to being spent with cheating con artists …… such as Tesco now 

Cest Le Vie ……. Onwards  to another day and more happy positive events eh !  😄

Malc 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I stopped using 'branded' fuel over 15 years ago. I was staunch advocate of the stuff but one day I had no choice but to fill up on asda fuel. From then on I thought rubber duck those rip off merchants and have stuck with asda fuel or tesco since. Oh. My cars have been the top of the range sport derivative and turbo'd petrol cars and guess what. There's no f ing difference. 

If you want to waste your hard earned on branded then that's your choice. Me? I'm no fool.

110% correct… ex fuel tanker driver and i delivered to branded and supermarkets…loaded up from same fuel silos….. 

ive ran all my cars on supermarket fuel for 🤷‍♂️ god knows how many years now…. And NEVER had any fueling issues

138.9 for unleaded at Tescos 

145.6 for super unleaded Tescos 

guess which one i fuel up with 😉

neither 😂 as i use Asdas lol at 138.7

• Like 1

prior I've only ever paid the uplift 7p is it  ?  difference for the E5

and I've always calculated the value of the points too ..............  hahahahaha

none of 'em are really honest methinks BUT this time they really got my goat with their underhandedness and total crookedness

DON'T EVER USE   TESCO     AGAIN FOR ANYTHING            will be my ongoing motto🤣

Malc

Jokes aside on a more serious note its called RIP OFF BRITAIN,and there isn't one sector of British business that isn't ripping us off one way or the other including the government, be it the tories or Labour and we seem to gladly put up with it lol 😆 

23 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

DON'T EVER USE   TESCO     AGAIN FOR ANYTHING            will be my ongoing motto🤣

Malc

😮 i saved hundreds going to Tescos car  insurance that much that im less than £300 fully comp on my RCF …

youve had a bad experience with that branch of Tescos and wholeheartedly agree with you boycotting that particular branch, your expierence isn’t store wide as i have mentioned earlier petrol prices at my Tescos are low ie 138.9 E10 unleaded and the E5 super unleaded 145.6

but do understand your rant 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Just to throw it out there, Esso 99 has the E5 sticker on the pump by law only, 'may contain up to 5% ethanol' is the meaning, however,  it 'should' have no ethanol content - as stated on the website (not that anyone would go and read it, which they know), but it may offer a medicore reason as to why they might be more expensive compared to other E5 fuels. The NX gets the cheapest around and the LS (and F when I had it), only got Esso 99, albeit for different reasons.

I would agree that it is annoying when the big price signs are conveniently inoperable when prices bump high. Our local Morrisons and Tesco have habits of 'faulty' large advertisers, only for you to rock up to the pump and find it to be up 5-10p from last time.

Esso is changing. It use to be that their E5 contained no ethanol in some parts of the country but there website (as at 18 June) states that from June to September 2023, they are transitioning all their outlets selling E5 Supreme+ 99 to "contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded."

I read about Mr Vlad's tip about Millers additive on a previous post, started using it with Asda E10 and never looked back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my LS430 I've been using E10/95RON since it was introduced with no noticeable difference in performance or fuel economy.
That said the 430 is certified for E10 use and the Octane Rating of 96 is only slightly higher than the 95 I'm putting in it.
Both bikes get E5/97/98/99RON because the 1000 is 34 years old and because the 1400 has a modified ECU that requires the higher octane.

Malc, If that offset has your blood boiling I hope you never have to fill up at a motorway service station.
I saw one on the M1 in 2013 that had a 55p difference between 95 and 97/98/99 (it was actually signposted😲). £1.65 for Unleaded and £2.20 for Premium.
I parked up, looked on Google Maps and found a supermarket petrol station 6 miles away, so I drove there and filled up for a saving of over £20 on a tankful for my 98 Legend.

I agree on them never posting the cost of Premium fuels on their big signs and the price nowhere to be seen on the pump until AFTER you have selected that pump.
I have in the past just replaced the pump and driven to another petrol station.
On one occasion the garage attendant told me via the speaker that he would report me for Bilking.
I laughed my head off and shouted for him to go ahead. The pump still read 0.00 when I drove off and nothing ever happened over it.

The motorist is used to getting ripped off at the pumps, ripped off over ever increasing car taxes, ripped off over unmaintained roads, ripped off over ever decreasing speed limits, ripped off over perpetually postponed road projects, and we do NOTHING about any of it. We just suck it up and keep on voting in the same incompetents again and again. Remind me whose fault it is again?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Neilo said:

I read about Mr Vlad's tip about Millers additive on a previous post, started using it with Asda E10 and never looked back.

Not seen the original post, but looking at this product seems like even E5 users might benefit from a drop of the juice.

The problem with ethanol

I always check on the prices of fuel before I need to fill up, and use petrolprices.com 

It's free, has a reasonable mobile app, and definitely helps me decide who's getting my business that week!

The differences between station prices in any given week can be enormous.

trouble is that we had spur of the moment decided to drive off for the day .  and what a beautiful day it was driving around another part of Kent we rarely visit .....  trouble was nigh empty tank and away from my usual haunts .......... 

The fill-up had to be and I wasn't wanting to waste anymore time sodding around refilling tbh ....... so Tesco conning it was ,.  sadly ...... 

Why they just couldn't be totally upfront honest i don't know .  still, I helped towards their £2bn profit maybe ...........  but I'm now banning myself from ever buying from anything to do with Tesco .  hit 'em where it will hurt eh !  bring their profits down, sack the Chairman at the next AGM  .  I'll show 'em !  🤣

Malc

50 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Not seen the original post, but looking at this product seems like even E5 users might benefit from a drop of the juice.

The problem with ethanol

Thanks for the info link, horrendous isnt it. 

So easy to do - I like to be more exact than the two measures on the bottle (25 & 50ml) so I just pour some into a different container (empty vitamin container) and use a 25ml syringe. Decide how much fuel I need say 30 Litres and squirt 30ml into the tank then go and fill up...so it mixes better in the tank. If I put more than 30 Litres in I just add the extra few ml when I get back...how I do it anyway.     

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links