Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300h realistic mpg - pre and post facelift

Hi

I am considering buying GS300h. MPG wise I am trying to compare it with IS300h and these do not look too far from each other but I think if I go for GS300h, its a bigger, more luxurious and more comfortable car compared to IS300h. I understand IS300h drive may be a bit more sporty but I am not bothered by that.

From what I can see GS300h had a facelift in 2016 and official mpg suggest the post facelift models have better mpg.

I would like your expert opinion on the follow:

1. What is realistic average and motorway mpg that can be achieved?

2. Does the facelift model had some technical advancement that improved mpg. If yes, by how much?

Thanks

from 2015 brochure, so pre facelift

se 17" wheels 60.1

luxury/premier 18" wheels 57.6

fsport 19"wheels 56.5

from the 2017 lexus brochure, so facelift model

executive 17" wheels 64.2mpg

luxury/premier 18" wheels 57.6mpg

premier/fsport 19" wheels 56.2mpg

pre facelift. from used cars on autotrader.

luxury 18"wheels 57.6mpg

fsport 19" wheels 56.5mpg

post facelift. from used cars on autotrader.

executive 17"wheels 60.1mpg

luxury 18" wheels 57.6mpg

fsport 19"wheels 56.5mpg

all above are official figures so will give an indication of difference between genuine figures of various models/wheel size.

the facelift car is a better car to drive and has more electronic safety/convenience gear.

Official figures are nonsense as I guess the op realises as he asked about achievable figures.

Interesting that cars with smaller wheels have better consumption. That will be because smaller wheels are lighter. The overall diameter /ccircumference elf all the wheels is pretty much the same.

The average on spritmonitor is about 7 litres/100km which is about 42mpg.

thanks for replies.

Is it right to say that premier and F-Sport models will suffer from lower mpg than executive models due to their size of tyres. If Premier is getting 42mpg on motorway then executive models will get e.g. 47mpg?

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

Interesting that cars with smaller wheels have better consumption. That will be because smaller wheels are lighter. The overall diameter /ccircumference elf all the wheels is pretty much the same.

Partially because they are lighter, but more likely because larger wheels will come with wider tyres, wider tyres are always less fuel efficient like for like e.g. if you take identical tyre then say 225 will be more efficient than 255. 

17" wheels use 225 - 18" and 19" use 235 section tyres so slight effect.

Exec models may get slightly better consumption - I'd say you'd be lucky to get 2 mpg better.

Imho

8 hours ago, Ahsan123 said:

2. Does the facelift model had some technical advancement that improved mpg. If yes, by how much?

Minor tweaks to the engine and hybrid control improved mpg and emissions slightly. The facelift model is EURO6 compliant.

5 hours ago, Ahsan123 said:

Is it right to say that premier and F-Sport models will suffer from lower mpg than executive models due to their size of tyres.

Yes, and the F Sport is slightly worse than Premier because it is less aerodynamically efficient.

I have had a  GS300h exec 2018 for the last 26000 miles at an average mpg of 42.79 (min 34 to max 46.9) which includes regular trips to Devon and back down the M5 😞

I have a 2014 Premier and over 6 years ownership and 50000 miles have averaged 44.7 according to the on board computer so probably about 42 in reality. That’s over all sorts of roads and distances. Would definitely recommend the GS over an IS if comfort over handling is more important. Although in sports + mode it is surprisingly agile for such a biggish car. 

Having just returned from a 1,000 mile round trip from Gloucester to Scotland, including the lumpy bits, in my 2018 GS300h Luxury I was impressed to average over 50mpg for the trip. Even going 1 mile down the road and back for the weekly shop I am getting 30mpg, even after a cold start. I do tend to use Eco though, rather than the other two modes.

My 2018 Premier gives a true 42mpg but generally the computer shows a 4% error so it'll show 46mpg. It's ranged from 40-46mpg and is generally worse in the winter. Very comfortable car and shows what can be done with good suspension.

3 hours ago, Zaros said:

My 2018 Premier gives a true 42mpg but generally the computer shows a 4% error so it'll show 46mpg. It's ranged from 40-46mpg and is generally worse in the winter. Very comfortable car and shows what can be done with good suspension.

4% would be more like 2 mpg not 4mpg. It'd only be 4 mpg if the starting mpg was 100 🙂

Many thanks for your replies. These are very helpful to understand real life fuel consumption. It looks quite good (specially after facelift) for the size and luxury of this car.

• 1 month later...

Seeing as there isn't many facelifts - Since 2019 I've averaged 47MPG with 80% motorway miles on '17 F-Sport.

It's not the car, it's the driver.

Being light footed and sticking to the right (left) lane is very rewarding in these so I cruise comfortably at 66mph and can easily stay at over 50MPG 9/12 months in the year.

30 minutes ago, SSUR said:

43 mpg on pre facelift over several years 55-60 mpg possible on motorways, ridiculous £30 rfl, best build quality in class, a great motor!

Just paid my 'road tax - rfl' - it was £25 - £5 more than last year. Why do some pay £30?

• 2 weeks later...

2016 gs300h 53mpg relaxed driving 

Driving with around 65mph

Not with cruise control most of the time as the my foot can be lighter. I've been professional driver for more than 6 years now and anticipating the road surface(uphil,  downhill, flat)

If i want to enjoy myself in sport mode going fast round the corners, accelerating and speeding around 43mpg 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links