Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2000miles European road trip in a 6.5year old EV:)

ganzoom

Just returned home from probably one of the most memorable summer holidays for a while, as it essentially repeats an European road trip we did in my much loved BMW 335i nearly a decade ago. 

The difference however this time the entire extended family came along (6 people+luggage), and the car in question is 6.5 years old having done nearly 70k miles already.

spacer.png

The route took us through Colmer region in France where we stumbled across some amazing vine yards, the next stop was Lake Como via Switzerland where we had an amazing view or the lake. We than crossed back into Switzerland via Stelvio and Furka pass, before ending up spending a few days on the shore of Lake Lucern.

spacer.png

To do such a road trip in any car would be amazing, but to do it in the car we have owned for almost aslong as our daughter has been alive is even more amazing.

The fact the car was an EV made zero difference in convince/time compared to doing the same trip in the 335i.

The only question now is where next? We did Norway last year, so 2024 needs to be pretty spectacular to match......Open to suggestions 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds wonderful, lucky you ....... For your next trip

You might find a simple month touring the length and breadth of Italy quite amazing too  .  thru' France and Switzerland, chasing through to reach there would be ok I'm sure .......

Make it after about April otherwise the icy conditions of the Dolomites might mean you had to change to winter tyres  ......  used to be a law in times past, but not sure now !

Nothing quite like touring far flung and hopefully remote outposts of mainland Europe methinks 🖕

Well done and Lucky You

Malc

Slovenia is beautiful, especially the North including the Julian Alps, the Logar Valley, Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj. I've been there 3 times on a motorbike but it would also make a great road trip in a car.

• Like 1

The difference however this time the entire extended family came along (6 people+luggage), and the car in question is 6.5 years old having done nearly 70k miles already.

I presume you took TWO cars? What was the other vehicle, out of interest? Another EV?

I would love to amble around France - very slowly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I presume you took TWO cars? What was the other vehicle, out of interest? Another EV?

6 seater car, stuffed to the brim (literally)!

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The only question now is where next? We did Norway last year, so 2024 needs to be pretty spectacular to match......Open to suggestions 🙂

Poland, Czechia and Slovakia. Some absolutely beautiful places up and down the countries and the people are so warm and friendly.

• Like 1

We have been travelling regularly to Europe over many years with our Lexus. In the early years we always saw several Lexus on the road on a daily basis, but

during our last trip not a single Lexus was seen. In 2007 we parked in Kaprun, Austria and on returning to the Rx400h found an identical Romanian

registered Lexus next to ours in a otherwise empty carpark - must have felt safe and cosy  next to ours.

Anyone else noticed the recent decline in Lexus in europe?

Seem little desperate to mention it was done in EV...

2000 miles isn't really a challenge for a car, just been in Normandy in June in 18 years old Lexus and did similar distance ~1800miles and never event had a thought this could be a challenge, or that I would need to compliment the car for being able to do it. Wake-up in the morning and drive as long as you want, the distances in Normandy aren't really that huge, but regular 200-300km a day and also what was cool is that in Normandy they have E85 (85% Ethanol) for just 1 Euro/L (99-103 cents), sure MPG is not the same (~28MPG vs. ~34MPG) but compared with 1.8 Euro for E95 it still made a lot of sense. And it takes what... maybe 2 minutes to refill, never considered my route, never need to look for special charger... Now sure it was not 6 people, because GS300 isn't a massive road tearing 2500kg SUV, but apart of that comfortably fitted 4 people and all the luggage for a week.

Like - "ohhh WOW my car was able to do 2000 miles trips"... yeah - any car should be able to do it, but I guess even such a small feat apparently is badge of honour in BEV world?! Okey - well done for doing that any car from last 50 years can do without a sweat!

• Like 3

@Linas.PHow many times have you been to Stlevio with 6 people+luggage in your car :).

It was back to normal family work this weekend. Your point of any car in the last 50 years can do great road trips is a great one, because EVs are simply like any other car these days.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, ganzoom said:

The only question now is where next? ...Open to suggestions 🙂

Anything preventing you from staying in Britain?

44 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

maybe not quite the same sense of " adventure "  that trusting to connect to enough EV charging points in a foreign land ............ would maybe offer 😅

No I jest .  I'm sure an aged proven 6  seater EV is just up to the mark wherever one goes on mainland Europe .  well, except maybe Ukraine these days 

Well done i say ...  . BUT I was regularly doing a month's 4k mile trip over all and sundry in Europe before covid hit us in our tracks .....  and there couldn't have been anything much better than my 4ltr V8 limo doing that ......  NOT 6 people tho eh !

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

Where? Been to Glencoe countless time now, Wales, Devon. Lake and Peak District all done numerous times too.

Looking for some where more spectacular than the fjords in Norway or mountains of Switzerland:).

now then why not try Iceland  ???      but a little similar to the Scottish glens etc .  and appreciably colder usually for sure .......... no idea about the EV charging tho.

Malc

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Looking for some where more spectacular than the fjords in Norway or mountains of Switzerland:).

Nothing compares to either except perhaps the Italian Dolomites.  You might give a thought to a drive down the length of Portugal taking in the Douro Valley, or perhaps Croatia, which also has some spectacular scenery and among the best roads in Europe.

• Like 2

Italian Dolomites are truly SPEKTAKULAR  …… care Portugal Oporto driving and parking tho ….. I was warned by a Traffic Warden to roadside park NOT facing the flow …… or I would get a Ticket 😳

Cest Le vie 

Malc 

5 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I was warned by a Traffic Warden to roadside park NOT facing the flow …… or I would get a Ticket 😳

I thought that is the rule everywhere? Parking facing the flow is like driving wrong way down the road... well you basically have to drive wrong way to park that way. Although it seems more like Police problem and less Parking Wardens problem. That said it is still much better than people parking forwards and then reversing into the road blind. 

I guess that just goes to show that in Europe they still care a little bit for rules, whereas in UK it is free for all - do whatever you please...

43 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

… care Portugal Oporto driving and parking tho ….. I was warned by a Traffic Warden to roadside park NOT facing the flow …… or I would get a Ticket 😳

That, apparently, is the rule or code or law or local bylaw or whatever in several countries.  I got a ticket tucked under my wipers for doing it in some town in Germany more than twenty years ago.  I never paid the fine, and my conscience has been tormented 😩 ever since.

• Haha 3

In the UK one is advised in the Highway Code not to park during the day facing against the traffic flow (rule 239) but one MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. (rule 248 and  Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Generally drivers do abide by these rules but I guess, unless there is an accident, if one didn't it's highly unlikely one would get ticketed 

I was in an Official Parking Space I think and it was just a 2 lane simple roadway ….. next the Port Houses ….. simpler to pop forward on the other side of the road, into the non existent on-coming traffic and reverse into the space ….. BUT I had to drive forward, do that 3 point turn just along the road, then drive forward and then reverse back into the free space  

Wot a pullava   But zero parking ticket ….. aaahhh happy memories of wonderful Portugal 

Malc 

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

now then why not try Iceland  ???      but a little similar to the Scottish glens etc .  and appreciably colder usually for sure .......... no idea about the EV charging tho.

Malc

Done Iceland, doesn't really stand out in the memories apart from the fact it was cold!! Also cannot drive there, EV or not.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Nothing compares to either except perhaps the Italian Dolomites.  You might give a thought to a drive down the length of Portugal taking in the Douro Valley, or perhaps Croatia, which also has some spectacular scenery and among the best roads in Europe.

Sounds like going further east is the next plan. Will start having a look 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links