Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering weight

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

No

Have you checked the tyre pressure?

I've inflated them up to 39 psi, and obviously it's better, but still seems heavy. Take into account that this is a new car to me. 

What psi do most people run? 

if I remember with the/my Ls400s the steering weight " feel " seems to be a factor of speed and manouverability .......  it self adjusts to accommodate what you're actually doing behind the wheel .......   I was told way back .......  clever engineering in those days 

not sure if that applies with modern day Lexii !

Malc

One of the first things I have noticed on driving unfamiliar Lexus models, for example in the case of test drives, loaners and new purchases, is the different weightings of the steering.  The differences are slight and one adjusts to them so quickly as to be left wondering if they actually existed.   Frankly, I’ve never thought to mention it before now because of the possibility of subjective impression.  Be this as it may, I have found the steering to be lighter in larger cars like the RX, NX and ES than in smaller ones like the RC, IS and CT.

22 hours ago, Malc1 said:

if I remember with the/my Ls400s the steering weight " feel " seems to be a factor of speed and manouverability .......  it self adjusts to accommodate what you're actually doing behind the wheel .......   I was told way back .......  clever engineering in those days 

not sure if that applies with modern day Lexii !

Malc

I'd forgotten that we have moved away from physical power steering fluid pumps to electronic power steering .  sorry about that 

BUT there are tales around that refer to electronic snags that totally STOP any steering movement at all .....  not even heavy, just stopped DEAD in it's tracks 

Malc

• Confused 1

which gen is it? Gen 3 is hydraulic and is heavier or weighted. gen 4 is light, so light I have to customise it in the settings to give it more weight (sport). if in sport mode, it is automatically adjusted to more weight. 

gen 5 is more balanced. in sport setting the steering is excellent and not twitchy on the motorway. 

1 hour ago, F1mo said:

which gen is it? Gen 3 is hydraulic and is heavier or weighted.

All RX hybrids, be that gen 2, 3, 4 or 5 have electric not hydraulic power steering and all give speed-sensitive adjusting assistance. But yes, the level of assistance does vary between them.

• Like 2

I's a Gen IV.  The dealership replaced trailing arms before I bought it to get it through the MOT, but there is no evidence of them doing an alignment.  The tyres are more worn on the edges.  I've got a copy of their internal invoice and it doesn't state that it's been done.  Perhaps it was OK but I'm going to speak to the sevice manager today as their own workshop recommended a caliper replacement two years ago with the previous owner but they didn't get it done, just replaced the discs and pads.  It had pads again the last service due to uneven wear with a comment suggesting a caliper fault yet it wasn't replaced.

This dealership was great a few years ago when I used them last, but the new owners have spoilt the Lexus experience for me.

In my experience callipers can often, on many cars, be simply overhauled at modest cost rather than expensively replaced …… if the guy knows what he’s doing of course ! 

Malc

I know the steering is speed and angle sensitive, but it just seems too heavy, for example, at 15mph on roundabouts, the difference is big, even running 39 psi.  It doesn't lighten up until the steering is totally straight.

They said that they would have automatically checked the alignment and wouldn't be itemised on the bill, so fair enough.

9 hours ago, Masiv44 said:

I know the steering is speed and angle sensitive, but it just seems too heavy, for example, at 15mph on roundabouts, the difference is big, even running 39 psi.  It doesn't lighten up until the steering is totally straight.

They said that they would have automatically checked the alignment and wouldn't be itemised on the bill, so fair enough.

I suggest you test drive another RX of the same age to compare. Everyone has a different perspective on how light or heavy the steering is so I’m not sure you can make an informed decision if there is something wrong with your car from the replies here. I suspect there is something wrong from what you describe. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links