Microsoft Antispyware

MrADeveci

Do you use MicroSoft AntiSpyware?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use MicroSoft AntiSpyware?

• Yes
    • No
    • I prefer and use Ad-Aware
    • Who? milk and two sugars please ......

I have just re-formatted my pc ...... and put a new fresh install of Win XP.

Computers running smooth and fast ...... like they always do when you re-install a copy of windows.

I used to use Ad-Aware ... but I may just use MS If it's up to the same / better standards !

What about you ?

i will be using it as i`ve just read two mag reviews saying it has performed the best. apparently its one of microsofts acquisitions....giant i think, and they`ve added to it....................but remember to run 2-3 sweeps, one after the other!!!!

It's good to have a couple of the AntiSpyware products running in combination with others. However, it can seem extremely unsettling when one product finds something that the other product missed. It makes you wonder who is telling the truth, and who is actually better?

I currently use AdAware SE and the Beta M$ AntiSpyware.

I've found them to work very well together, and has been keeping the system free of nasties.

I'm also implementing deployment of the BETA software on my system network.

I'd give it 3½ out of 5.

I voted yes - as I use it.

However, I also use Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware.

I have MS and SS&D memory resident at boot, and have scans scheduled for all three.

People who <ahem>less than 100% legal</ahem> Microsoft operating systems may have problems updating MS Anti Spyware, as it uses a validator when you update.

This may be a good place for some very simple online care advice.

1 - Do not use your computer as a user with administrative priveleges on a day to day basis. Create an admin user for those specific times you need to install or update software.

2 - Use common sense.

If a complete stranger came up to you in the airport, and said - "Here, take this briefcase and open it up later. I'm not telling you whats in it" would you take it? Would you open it?

So - why if you visit a website do you click every link and answer YES to all the popups to add stuff?

I am not equating computer security with airline security - just asking everyone to practise the same degree of common sense.

3 - Update your computer regularly. Windowsupdate.com will update most modern windows OS's - and an update can be easily scheduled using the security centre. If possible - setup the PC to download and install updates once a day.

4 - Use some protection. :D

Everyone should use a combination of anti virus, anti malware, and possibly a firewall.

These do not need to be purchased - dont go to Dixons and spend £40 on some "internet security suite" - there are very good products available for free.

Anti Virus

I use Avast. The purchased version runs on my server, and the free home version runs on my laptops.

You can also download a free version of AVG by grisoft, which is highly regarded too (although I have not used it, so cannot make a personal recommendation).

Malware

SpyBot Search and Destroy

AdAware

Microsoft Anti Spyware

Firewall

Zone Alarm

You should consider a software based firewall, even if you use a router which acts as a hardware firewall.

Scarface, if u use BT and p2p stuff id suggest u use a ip blocker aswell.

peer guardian or protowall. cant be too carefull ;)

http://methlabs.org/projects/peerguardian-2-windows/

Steve

I'm using MS Spyware now ............ like the idea when it tells you what is going on in your registry too !

I.P blocker you say ...... I have seen these years ago ........ but have always been under the assumption they don't work - are they really any good ?

I tend to steer clear of Software based firewalls, as it allows access to the operating system before the firewall figures out what to do with the connection. By then valuable resources (such as CPU and Bandwidth) have been utilised by these processes.

Invest in a small modem with a built-in firewall (£30 tops). That's my recommendation for the day...

I tend to steer clear of Software based firewalls, as it allows access to the operating system before the firewall figures out what to do with the connection. By then valuable resources (such as CPU and Bandwidth) have been utilised by these processes.

Invest in a small modem with a built-in firewall (£30 tops). That's my recommendation for the day...

hardware based firewall is protection only from incoming traffic.

you can become infected with something nasty, and a hardware firewall will not prevent outgoing traffic, such as keylogging data etc.

A decent software based firewall will protect you from this, as it will warn you that a new application is attempting to use your internet connection.

This will allow you to block the traffic - and alert you that something is not right.

hardware based firewall is protection only from incoming traffic.

you can become infected with something nasty, and a hardware firewall will not prevent outgoing traffic, such as keylogging data etc.

A decent software based firewall will protect you from this, as it will warn you that a new application is attempting to use your internet connection.

This will allow you to block the traffic - and alert you that something is not right.

A tightly ruled firewall has the options for allowing specific ports to be opened or closed outbound or inbound. Plus it gives that extra barrier against nasty stuff flying out there on the net.

A tightly ruled firewall has the options for allowing specific ports to be opened or closed outbound or inbound. Plus it gives that extra barrier against nasty stuff flying out there on the net.

absolutely!

but - which would your dad find easier to use?

a hardware router, or zonealarm?

OK I got NTHell Broadband running at 750K

Use Netgear wireless router with a firewall.

All PC's also run ZoneAlarm firewall.

Use AVG as anti-virus and all PC's are set to auto update profiles and full scan on a daily basis.

Also use AdAware to check for malware. Interestingly AdAware has on occasions found viruses not found by AVG :excl:

Call me paranoid but I would not trust Microsoft to protect my PC, it would be like getting the best security locks for your house and then handing over the back door key to a stranger. Also if hackers are going to find a way in they will find the "back door" left by Microsoft before they crack other software :crying:

the peer guardian is more for p2p and BT applications, due to the nasty people at the MPAA and other orgonisations like that , its just added protection NOT a total solution, ive been using it for some time now and i wouldnt be without it , no nasty letters yet ;)

erm no im not Steve. im called , Boris, from iceland :)

http://respectp2p.org/

interesting site if ur interested in BT ans p2p stuff

absolutely!

but - which would your dad find easier to use?

a hardware router, or zonealarm?

fair comment, sometimes i forget how complicated these things are for others :blush:

I can't stand Microsoft! So where possible i'll buy better, more stable, better value for money products from other software writers.

Nuff said!! :blush:

Is that so ? ............ I bet you still use Windows though ..........

Hardware firewall/router is a better option than software based firewall, most are not that difficult to configure and once they are set up you shouldnt need to make changes. If you dont know how to set them up get a local IT head to do it for you.

The result will be much more effective than using Norton/Zonealarm which constantly keeps asking you if you wish to allow certian processes to acces the internet. Most IT people would have to spend some time working out what they are never mind the average computer user.

Get a firewall with SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), most cheap router/firewalls have this nowadays.

Totally agree with AVG/Adaware/Spybot/Spywareblaster, just dont forget to update them regularly and run regular complete scan. The free version of adaware does not run in real time, you need to purchase it for full protection.

Google toolbar has an additional popup blocker which is useful if you are not running Win XP although spybots is also quite effective

Anyone using dial-up, - get BT to ban all outgoing premium rate calls, some Virus/Trojan programs will quite happily dial these numbers and run up a nasty phone bill on you

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links