Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear ... Complaints

Noel

Oh dear oh dear ... :duh:

Jeremy Clarkson has sparked fresh BBC controversy by joking about murdering prostitutes. Skip related content

The Top Gear presenter, 48, made the quip about lorry drivers killing s*x workers on Sunday night's BBC Two show.

As he completed a lorry-driving task, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

His comments come after serial killer Steve Wright was convicted in February of murdering five prostitutes in Ipswich.

Wright was a former lorry driver, as well as pub landlord and forklift truck driver.

Clarkson's joke, made before the watershed, sparked 188 complaints to the BBC, out of what the Corporation said was seven million viewers.

The Iceni Project, a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich, criticised the remark. The group's director Brian Tobin said: "I just think it was highly distasteful and insensitive. Maybe people on the BBC should think a bit more before saying some of the things they keep coming out with.

"It is around the time of the anniversary of the girls' (Ipswich prostitutes) deaths and it's a very delicate time. I saw it on Top Gear. It made me cringe."

Broadcasting watchdog Ofcom said it had been contacted by viewers angry at the remarks. A spokesman said: "Ofcom has received complaints regarding Top Gear. These complaints are currently being assessed against the Broadcasting Code. All UK broadcasters must adhere to Ofcom's Broadcasting Code which sets standards for the content of television and radio broadcasting."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

where's it all going to end ... can't say boo without someone taking offence thesedays... :crying:

They should go and watch the dancing on the other channel really instead of TOPGEAR? :whistling:

Totally, such morons :angry:

I haven't heard the whole broadcast but to be honest I didn't fully understand what all the fuss was about in the Brand/Ross incident........

well im assuming that the prostitutes that were murdered in ipswich were not the first.. it being the oldest profession and all...

jack the ripper anyone????

Its all getting out of hand.. everyone thinks they have a right to not be offended...

i mean for example.. prior to my dad dying of a heat attack it used to be amusing if not entertainment on TV to watch someone fein a heart attack.. and in the weeks surrounding his death if felt bad and made me angry.. but then i realised that the world goes on..

Oh dear oh dear ... :duh:

As he completed a lorry-driving task, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

where's it all going to end ... can't say boo without someone taking offence thesedays... :crying:

:eerrrmm: What lorry-driving task ? My own humble opinion was that the whole of that part of the programme was somewhat childish stage managed crap. The stunts that were pulled were absolutely nothing to do with lorry driving and were not particularly clever things to do. :oops: Having voiced my opinion I had maybe better take cover

Do I get booted out of LOC if I admit to preferring Strictly Come Dancing ? :blush::lol:

BOOTED AND BANNED.. and we keep your lex.... 1st dibs

what BS, ppl an't got a life ...i realated it to a film, not real life story.....lighten up dudes

i bet all the people who complained will be watching next week to see what he has to say about it, and then complain that he didnt take the complaints serious,

they should just turn over, how do some people manage to get on in life if they complain about every little thing?

:eerrrmm: What lorry-driving task ? My own humble opinion was that the whole of that part of the programme was somewhat childish stage managed crap. The stunts that were pulled were absolutely nothing to do with lorry driving and were not particularly clever things to do. :oops: ...

That's TG all over isn't it? Childish pranks, costing loads of money, but "uniquely funded"

I think it's a great programme...it sells worldwide now...

I do think that the Brand/Ross thing was risque...the fact they apologised says it all...if some joked about doing that to my daughter or grand daughter I'd 'ave 'em...especially it was on national radio...

I'd love to work in the BBC complaints department to write to complainers and tell them all what I really thought of them.

You don't like someone's sense of humour, don't watch them. Simple as that.

I'm sorry but every joke is derogatory to someone. Men, women, black people, white people, scots, welsh, irish, blondes, christians, muslims, homosexuals, heterosexuals need I go on????????? A joke pokes fun at someone, what's the biggie? It's light hearted fun. To everyone that complains, a) get a life and b ) get out more.

I find men dancing with funny faces and women dressed up like a trout in a disco ball highly offensive but do you hear me complaining about strictly come dancing, NO!!!!!. I'm clever enough to turn the channel over and not watch it. It's the reason we live in a democratic society. WE HAVE CHOICE.

I'm fed up with this PC society. In everyday life we always end up upsetting someone but we all have to take it on the chin and get on with it. Simple as that. I refuse to live my life in a ball of cotton wool and I don't expect enyone to do the same. If I find the people who have complained I'll, well, umm, well I can't type it on here but I'm sure you clever people can put two and two together. People just need to grow a pair and see it as pure entertainment. COME BACK ROSS AND BRAND!!!!!!!!

Thankyou all and have a good evening.

Jim.

His comment about truck drivers (which I think he nicked from Viz because they used to say the same thing years ago!) was quite cutting, but it was an attempt at making people laugh. It's very hard to have humour without offending someone!!!!!

What I can't work is what people offended by a joke like that are doing watching Top Gear in the first place

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links